1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Idea......... Need Help

Discussion in 'Modding' started by NOTPENTIUM, 13 Mar 2003.

1. NOTPENTIUM

NOTPENTIUM What's a Dremel?

Here's an idea I've been toying with. I wanna TV in my case! So here's the plan. Pinnacle systems TVPC card, 5 inch LCD screen mounted on the side of the case that faces me on the desk. Right, so the PCTV card has an RCA jack for video in but I dont think it has any outputs accept audio. I want to put the Tele out to the LCD monitor that will be mounted on in my case instead of watching it on desktop as that will get annoying trying to run other programs as well. Surely there's a way to do this and I know that if there is, someone here can figure it out. I've seen the guys that have there desktop on these setups or a certain app like winamp visualisations but i want the TV picture there. Whaddaya think?

Randy

2. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

well when you want to connect video card to connect your computer to the tv eg to watch dvds, i was reading in the official windows xp mag that a computer has everything u need it lists the stuffg u need eg video card with video out ans a 5.1 sound card so you must be able to play the DVD sound through the computers speakers while the dvd is playing on the dvd, so it should be something similar for your idea you may be able to play the TV sound through the soundcard, you may need to to a bit of research on this topic.

3. Yoda

Yoda What's a Dremel?

I would just setup the LCD as another monitor. Use A dual head graphics card (or two of them) and run the TV tuner to that screen. It should work and That is probably how they did it.

But... I am not really on expert on LCDs so you might keep looking.

4. Pflumingo

Pflumingo givem the bird.

I use a Radeon 8500 128 and a TV Wonder pci TV card. I use the output from the second head on my 8500 to feed the video to my 5'lcd... TV on the little one, and regular desktop on the other. I don't run games and TV at the same time, but I can easily run any other programs, as the TV card and application only take up about 2% of my processor time. The bus carries the video directly to the card, and it doesn't need to be processed, much like a dvd.. it uses an overlay...

More ?'s, ask away.

5. NOTPENTIUM

So only the tv shows up on the TFT and not the a duplicate of the whole desktop?

6. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Just drag the TV window onto the second monitor and maximise it...

7. NOTPENTIUM

DAMN........:eyebrow: dont i feel dumb

8. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

You're talking to people who are working with 2+ monitors already so they/we already know about it.

We had zero knowledge of multi monitor setups at some time :D

9. Pflumingo

There are computers without 2 monitors???

10. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

As horrible as it sounds... yes :jawdrop:

11. Pflumingo

(ok, So I have 3, but I've always been well endowed :rolleyes: ;) )

12. NOTPENTIUM

Well I knew I had TV out but wasn't thinking of that. I guess I was trying to get all complicated with something that wasn't. Just because I thought it would be.

13. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

Sorry to spam, but Yoda that link in your sig does not work.

14. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

Well now that you've got the second monitor problem figured out, I would suggest you check out Hauppage's PVR-250 or similiar units. They are the best out there for there very limited reliance on your processor. For instance, the video capture ability of the AIW cards can use up to 25% of your processors power, while the Hauppage stays in the single digits (3%-9%). I have both an AIW and a PVR 250 in my HTPC. The AIW is used only for output because I have had zero problems with the PVR.

Just a thought.

15. TX297

TX297 Hey guys have you heard of seenly?

Hmmph. I am doing near enough the same thing, except I'm not feeding video (I'm making my own "automatic" switch to feed composite directly to the LCD). What kind of card will allow me to output one desktop to a CRT (VGA-out) and extend it onto the composite-out. Will anything with VGA and composite-out work? Will hydravision work for this sort of thing? I'm on a very limited budget for the video card, and I was looking at the PowerColor Radeon 9200SE. The only reason I will change this card is if it will not do what I want it to do. Don't try to change my mind with "LAAAAAGGGGG" or "PowerColor cards are crap" (unless in terms of features).

Thanks,
    -TX297