1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anonymous and lolsec

Discussion in 'Serious' started by wh1pl4sh88, 8 Aug 2011.

1. wh1pl4sh88

wh1pl4sh88 What's a Dremel?

I want people to take this seriouslt and not see it as a joke when i ask you all would or would you not support what lolsec and anonymous hacking groups are doing to websites and online resources?

I personally feel that when a business gets hacked it primarily shows the underlying security problems that can occur when businesses do not give their customers enough protection and that from what these hacker group have done. I think it is obvious that business need to meet stricter security standards to help protect their customers but also themeselves. I feel that businesses currently do not think about what dedicated hackers can achieve and only protect from novice to intermediate hackers and that this is how problems are being caused.

I personally do not feel that anonymous was the group that hacked sony and ruined their network and caused them to pay fines, but i feel that what happened to sony is just an example of what hackers can do when they dedicate and business to not meet aggresive security measures.

2. camelCase

camelCase What's a Dremel?

I thought years back some people were paid by the companies to try and hack into their computers to try and find any vulnerabilities. But can anyone make the distinction between a hacker, as we know it and China who seem to be hacking all over the place. Didn't McAfee just find out China hacking into the US or UN lately?

3. wh1pl4sh88

Ye the situation with lulsec and anonymous is one i follow more that others and within the news posts there seem to be a lot of information pointing at china carrying out hacks and then leaving information which could lead the authorities to making arrests on other hacking group which were never involved. There are several people from anonymous in court atm that are being blmmed for damages which may have not been coused by them but instead china and other hacking groups.

I also aagree that i have a friend that works within an IBM server management and networking environment on an IBM site and they still pay people to come and hack their network from internal and external connections but these are monitored closely and the "ethical" hackers have to provide them with detailed notes of exactly what they have done after they have finished carrying out hacks on their network/s.

4. camelCase

camelCase What's a Dremel?

But does the punnishment fit the crime? Hackers get to go to jail and China gets??? Trade from the rest of the world

5. wh1pl4sh88

thing is you can deal with one person but to deal with a country you have to start a war and if we tried to fight china we would probably get owned

6. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

well to be honest, it should be case of you dont have to lock your doors, because people respect other peoples property.

just because you leave a door open doesn't give someone the right to just walk in and take what they like.

7. wh1pl4sh88

exactly, where i live i know i can go out and leave my front door open with the knowledge that no will go in usually the neighbors will close the door if open for too long :)

Which should be similar on the net unfortunately it is policed to much legit and non legit which is what is ruining it.

8. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Probably?

9. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

lol we wouldn't want to 'deal with china' because we want to deal with china. It boils down to money, china can do what they like as the rest of the world desperately needs there resources and strong economic ties with them. That's the way it's always been with emerging economies and that's the way it always will be.

Besides just because something is seen are unethical, illegal and immoral from our view point, based upon our own historical and cultural discourse, doesn't mean that it necessarily is. Hacking might be seen as a necessary and completely legit means of self-defence by the Chinese government - who are we to say that they're wrong just because it's wrong under our own social norms?

this. China could own anybody at the moment.

10. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

pre emptive strike with a few dozen nukes would soon slow down china

11. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

I think we all would want to avoid nuclear winter unless you are in Australia.

12. Xcellenye

Xcellenye What's a Dremel?

well atleast they made psn safer i guess just sucks that i rented a movie just before psn went down so i couldnt watch it cause i had to be signed in sony said they would reset the time limits but they never did

13. eddie543

eddie543 Snake eyes

In the free market world Morals and ethics are non existant if the opportunity cost, that is the value forgone of the next best alternative, of imposing them on a country, corporation or organisation is greater than doing nothing or barely anything a all.

Forget war since there are different things that can be done. To make china uncomfortable in any way would mean that unfortunately the gain that we would recieve from that would also be overwhelmed by the loss that we would recieve also. The most sensible option is consistantly improve security rather than creating international tensions.

As far as organisations of hackers go there are few problems with taking actions because they have no power whatsoever.

It may be hypocritical but thats the way the world works when economic and military power come into effect. Individual or organisational hacking has to be seen differently from inter-nation hacking.

As far as telling the difference between hacking organisations and nations hacking is usually easy on the basis of who they are hacking.

As far as any speculation as to who would win a war with china the answer is neither china nor anyone else would win even conventionally. There would be no gain of any definition just massive losses on both sides. As far as that speculation goes no one owns anyone it would just come down to the human race owning themselves.

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

And America gets? Yup, that's right, it hacked Iranian nuclear enrichment plants, remember?

Just as, regardless of how things ought to be, you lock your doors firmly, it is wise to assume that every country and company is at it. Espionage is all part of the course, whether corporate or (inter)national, and a good deal of that espionage now happens online.

So be mindful of your personal security at all times. Don't rely on the police; lock your doors and keep valuables out of view. Don't rely on companies to keep your data safe; use AV and firewalls and be mindful what personal data you put online in the first place.

15. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Agree with both sides of this one. Yes, people hacking big businesses are exposing inexcusable weaknesses in their security systems and teaching them a valuable lesson. But yes, their hacking efforts are still wrong. They're breaking the law, and besides, nobody asked them to test these businesses' security.

Also, while I approve of white hat activity generally, what lulsec do is actually very different. Usually anonymous white hats expose a weakness, tell the company about it, and leave before the company can decide whether they want to sue them or employ them. Lulsec are finding weaknesses and then exploiting them, stealing personal information and valuable data, and leaking it to the entire web, harming millions of peoples' online security. They're not white hats at all - they're just thieves.

Sure, it is the company's fault that it happens, but morally the hackers are still culpable and should still be punished to the full extent of the law. That a crime is easy doesn't make it any less of a crime.