1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tottenham Riots

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Dwarfer, 8 Aug 2011.

1. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

3. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

10,000 signatures, Damn. That's gained support quickly. Shame I don't think I'm legally allowed to sign it.

4. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

5. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

6. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Get work houses/camps up and running. They work off the damage/stolen value at half of minimum wage.

7. Sketchee

Sketchee Suddenly, looters! Hundreds of 'em!

Yea because the alternative of keeping them on benefits is such a great idea itself :rolleyes:

/signed

8. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I just came out of London as im bored of this.

Smoke visible in the east, and massive crowds of locals cleaning up in Clapham. The sky is thick with sirens and the sounds of helicopters.

9. immoral

immoral What's a Dremel?

10. camelCase

camelCase What's a Dremel?

There is another thread on here about the US Prison Service as the new slave trade, maybe the UK should do this with the rioters. Have them working during the day cleaning up the mess they have caused, lock them up at night and get them back out the next day to do the same. This will shut the do-gooders up saying they have nothing to do.

11. Sketchee

Sketchee Suddenly, looters! Hundreds of 'em!

That's what I was referring to

12. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I think a decent solution would be to identify as many of the people as possible, and sentence them all to time helping rebuild. I do wonder if they took ownership in the construction of the parks and buildings in their communities, would they be so quick to destroy it all later?

They might learn a few job skills along the way, as well as the internal satisfaction from having created something rather than destroying it.

13. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Yep, would be very happy with them doing this. Besides, it's not a slave trade. The crinimals, in my opinion, rescind any rights they might have when they decide to break the law.

14. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Just had an email from my landlord saying that the Brunswick Centre off Russell Square is a target from tonight.

Eugh.

15. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

16. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

Any groups organising anti looter protests to protect areas? If so considering heading up to town if anything like that is being organised.

17. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

You think the tiny savings of denying benefits to a token few who actually end up convicted is worth inciting further riots?

Is that even debatable? :confused:

Again, it's this age old tug of war between people who actually want to address the root cause of the issue vs. those who just want retribution and continuation of the cycle.

Would be interested to see feasibility inquiries of clean-up chain gangs made up of convicted rioters. I think it could be cathartic for all involved and send a very clear message.

18. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

19. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

God that's worrying.

I was in Ealing last night. I left the restaurant that I was at, and here a few minutes later that it had been looted, along with every other restaurant near it.

20. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Also, what good would it do to deny benefits only to those who were found guilty of looting/criminal behaviour during the riots? What about all the other criminals who are found guilty on a daily basis? You would have the ridiculous situation where people who have committed more serious acts would be able to receive benefits, but those who threw a brick through a window or stole a bottle of wine from a supermarket would not. The whole idea is silly, but given the level of frustration at the justice system in this country it's understandable it's gotten so much support.

The best idea I've seen so far is supermonkey's - get them to clean up the mess they created. At the very least it might get them to think twice about doing it next time if they could see first hand the effect it has on communities and people's businesses (as well as the hard work and time required to clean it up). Unfortunately, it looks like that responsibility will fall to the law-abiding citizens who volunteer their free time, not the guilty parties who will go back home and not get off their sofas until they're bored of their new toys.