1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tottenham Riots

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Dwarfer, 8 Aug 2011.

1. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

YES YOU SHOULD! Anger for it's own sake is a destructive force.

Oh dear, poor you ;)

2. dave_salmon

dave_salmon What's a Dremel?

To those of you who live in or around Toxteth or Salford, lots of stuff flying around about all this bollocks kicking up again around 2:30.

I'd much prefer this to be fear mongering or idiots trying to kick it off again by spreading this across social networking sites, but I'd hate to not say something and some one be caught up in it.

Stay safe.

3. Canon

Canon Reformed

She changed the dynamics of Stormont, not Northern Ireland, you will do well to remember we still have concrete walls separating us from each other. We just got ****ing bored fighting with each other and some arseholes 'regain the flame' a couple of times a year, to put it very simply.

Come back to me when there are kidnappings, serial murders and mass importation of illegal firearms to Central London following and in relation to a riot. Today is when the comparison to Northern Ireland ends, it's in the interest of both I believe.

4. Risky

Risky Modder

Except that those riots wer clearly about race and looking at the TV footage, we've made grweat strides as you have black and white yobs rioting side by side. Sure the orginal Demo a the start was about the shooting, but bear in mind Operation Prident is about trying to deal with the gun crime a lot of which iinvolves gang members shooting other gang member or whoever is in the wrong place at the time, generally not involving white middle class folk at all.

Ken and the like will want to paint this as Brixton Redux, but it's a different world, whith diffenent issues. Compare and contrast his attitude with that of David Lamy. We need to move on from drawing lazy cliched parallels.

5. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

I suggest whoever and whatever action they decide to take, this is done swiftly. As we've seen overnight hundreds of groups of people are on the streets protecting their property & fighting off the twats... ie being vigilantes.

Something which I saw lastnight which was rather strange. In Elland, where there must have benn a good 200-300 + people in between this huge crowd walking down the road were police officers. Now they weren't running after them, dispersing them. It seems they were walking with the crowd?!

Does anyone have any insight into this?

6. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

There were several 'civilian' groups (not counting looters as civilians) who had agreed to get together to 'patrol' their communities and protect if from looters and vandals.

7. Sketchee

Sketchee Suddenly, looters! Hundreds of 'em!

Indeed. There is nothing driving this. The protest of the shooting of Duggan was a peaceful protest which got hi-jacked by opportunists. The catastrophic failure to clamp down on this opportunism quickly enough has led to this spreading to other cities.

Can we stop calling it rioting now as well please?

8. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Ok then lets bring in the troops. Ten thousand should be a nice round number so what will we arm them with? They already have guns but we don't want them shooting protesters so lets give them riot gear. Do we have thousands of spare riots shields, batons and armour lying around. Probably not. Rubber bullets? They are used to drive back crowds so the army can regroup and reform the line of riot shields and batons that they don't have. They could use water canons but we only have six of those in the UK which are used in Ireland and I very much doubt they would want to give to many of them to the mainland when the marching season is about to start. We could always buy some news ones but I've checked Amazon and I can't see next day delivery mentioned.

Then there is the logistical challenge of accommodating ten thousand troops in the capital in a central location where they can respond to unfolding events. They need food, somewhere to sleep, toilet facilities and transport.

Sending in the troops sounds like a quick and easy solution but its not.

9. Canon

Canon Reformed

Marching season started ages ago mate, the watercannons have been out more times than Elton John if he were to be struck by Alzheimers :thumb:

10. camelCase

camelCase What's a Dremel?

11. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Hi everyone, I'm still around a little bit and wanted to add my 2 cents into this discussion. I haven't read the whole thread yet so I don't know if any of the other NI members have expressed their opinions, but being 1) From a country where there are public demonstrations, clashes with police, secterian voilence and generally violent criminal behaviour on an annual (at the very least) basis and 2) Quite well aware of the disgusting and despicable "street culture" or whatever you want to call it that exists in large towns and cities of the UK, my opinion of this entire saga is that it needs to be brought to the swiftest possible conclusion in the next 24 hours, before it gets any worse and gets even more out of hand.

It has been discussed to death... I've listened to literally hours of coverage on the news, I've heard interviews on R5 Live, Newsbeat, Sky news etc etc and none of the talking is doing any good. I was interested in hearing different people's opinions on it the first couple of days that it was going on, and I'm sure the news networks and media are loving it because they have plenty to report on and discuss.

But what I want to get at here is the only thing that is going to make this all end is firm, strict law enforcement from the Metropolitan Police. They need to bring a curfew into effect this evening in places like Manchester city centre and Liverpool's L-One district and shoot anyone - no matter what age or what they are doing - who breaks that curfew with rubber bullets. I am saying they need to shut these cities down with brute force and teach these criminals and thugs their hard lessons the hard way. I'm going to spark controversy in saying this, but they did it here in NI for years and whether people like it or not, it worked. Don't throw the human rights book at me concerning use of force by law enforcement, these criminals waved their human rights when they started rioting, stealing, burning down businesses and ruining honest working people's lives. I can honestly say without hesitation that if it happened over here and my business was at risk, I would stand armed and ready at the front gates and defend my property and my livelihood no matter what it took.

I don't claim to be any sort of saint, but I am in my early twenties, approaching my mid twenties at an almost alarming rate... I would never have even dreamt of comitting the mildest of the crimes that I've been watching teenagers and youths orchestrate when I was that age. There is a fundamental flaw in society at the moment when people as young as 13 or 14 think that it is perfectly acceptable to burn down businesses and steal thousands of pounds worth of property. It actually saddened me and made me angry at the same time to hear Newsbeat's quotes from the streets at lunchtime today - things like a 16 year old saying "Why would anyone pass up the chance to get loads of free stuff that's worth loads of money. I'm not stopping until they come and get me". I know the same sort of youths live on the streets of some cities here, namely Belfast, the only difference being that over here they are usually driven by sectarian motives. They still have the same fundamental lack of respect for the society that they are supposed to be the future generation of, and still don't have a clue about what's right or wrong, or don't care.

I've been brought up in a very decent home with morals and ethics, I have good parents who sent my brother and I to good schools and I was lucky enough to study at University for 5 years. I'd like to think of myself as a fairly well educated individual. That's why I was never and would never be involved in anything like this, and I want there to be no doubting my views when I say this: I pity this country if people like these thugs are the future of it.

Also, Dwarfer- you're a new member for 2011 so welcome to the forum and all but with rage infused posts and swearing and losing your head etc how have you not been banned already? Maybe tone it down a little... I didn't like Amy Winehouse either because I think she was a horrible role model for young people, but there's no need for that sort of post on bit-tech. Way too far beyond decent discussion :/

Long post is looong...

Last edited: 10 Aug 2011
    Sketchee likes this.
  12. Canon

Canon Reformed

Sketchee likes this.
  13. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Sorry, had to lol at that

14. dave_salmon

Sketchee likes this.
  15. Sketchee

And I just love the bit where the dailymail says 'he is desperately trying to get away'. Doesn't take a genius to figure out what those kids are doing out there. The police need to be able to use this force to deal with what's going on. A bit harsh but sensationalising this as 'police brutality' is one of the problems in the first place. The fact that this is a bit shocking is good, if the looters and vandals start to see that this is the treatment they are going to get, I guarantee a lot of them won't bother. That they feel they can get away with what they are doing at the moment is why these "riots" are spreading and continuing the way they are.

This is something that needs to be dealt with by the police. Bringing in the military is a BAD idea. The thing that scares me most is the uprising of vigilante groups taking things into their own hands because they feel let down by the police. This is why 3 blokes are dead last night in Birmingham. Maybe they'll want revenge? Who knows.. but we'll probably have plenty more of that to look forward to if police aren't allowed to toughen up.

16. Canon

Canon Reformed

It's only a matter of time before the 'brutal state' ******** kicks in, always the same. I hate to use the term 'trendy lefties' but that's all it is, people that will argue with themselves if it's trendy and always cry out for the less equiped party in any situation, I can only imagine they resort to this due to making a very clear connection between the delinquency of themselves and the party at hand and feel a sort of 'bond'. :lol:

I'm sorry, but when I was the age of some of the younger people involved today (lets say 12-16) if I had for example, been out in my own street with a couple of friends and decided to nick my neighbours milk from his door (or something like that) there would have been 2 possible outcomes

1) The neighbour would have kicked seven shades of shite out of me, and then took me by the scruff to my parents.

2) They would have taken me by the scruff to my parents and requested that THEY knock seven shades out of me.

IF I had however, broken someones window, entered their home and stolen their property or burnt it. The whole street would have taken turns at kicking the shite out of me for a week.

17. camelCase

camelCase What's a Dremel?

No sympathy at all, just wondering if this is what everyone wanted to see

18. Sketchee

In a word. Yes.

19. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Yes. It is. I have absolutely no sympathy for them. 20 years and more ago, parents and teachers had the authority to and it was socially acceptable to beat a child if they did something wrong. Those children of that generation are the current middle aged generation of today, people like my parents. Maybe people like your parents. I don't see them out on the streets burnign down businesses, threatening decent people with guns and knives, stealing property from broken into shops and throwing stones and other missiles at police officers. That generation are the people who raised decent, law abiding, educated and hard working young people who are not taking part in the riots, who are instead discussing it in an orderly manner, and are on the streets of UK cities today helping to clean and tidy up. That generation are the ones who run this country and have a very good understanding of what is right and what is wrong.

So again, no - I have absolutely not one shred of sympathy for those guys getting the kicking they deserve. Those police officers have exactly the right attitude - baton rounds are next.

Last edited: 10 Aug 2011
  20. dave_salmon

This. Exactly this. I've done stuff purely by accident and was still cracked around the back of the head for it and punished with groundings and removal of luxaries (TV, Playstation, etc) even after I fully made up for the damage/upset I'd caused.

Know what it taught me? To have respect and think about the consequences of my actions at all times and more importantly: Not to be a scumy piece of trash.