1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays What’s your IPS story?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Siwini, 3 Aug 2011.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

iPhone 4 and iPads have similar looking IPS's. they come reasonably calibrated, colours look truer than other phones such as Galaxy S and Nexus S i was using (i know they are the same phone)

it's no match for u2711, but it's not comparable. one is semi-professional display, others are consumer product. IMO it's like comparing Golf against 911. (Golf being good as hatchback, 911 as low end super car)

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Sorry, the iPhone 4 is not that sharp.
    Again, it's really good for a cellular phone... but again.. cellular phone, not desktop screens.

No mater what you do, even if you use the best of the best TN panel that exists... an entry level IPS panel is visibly better, in term of sharpness, back light bleeding, colors and view angle (and for many IPS panels: not glossy)

[edit]@wuyanxu: well said[/edit]

3. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

I'm not arguing with you I'm just saying you're being overly critical of TN. They are perfectly usable for day to day work. Yes IPS and PVA are better and nicer to use but TN panels are not unusable. I have some of both and yeah, I love my IPS screen but that doesn't mean that I refuse to use a TN panel.

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I've tried to defend TN on this forum; it's not worth it :D

5. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

TN is good - as secondary display for stuff like IRC chat :). :D

6. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Talking about mobile displays - I've got the Samsung Galaxy S2 - the super AMOLED screen is fantastic. The resolution could be higher for it's screen size but that doesn't bother me. It is very clear and very good under direct light. Still - obviously my IPS is better.

And Telltale Boy, I messed with the settings to try and match my TN to my IPS as best I could - you've reminded me that I should change it back to optimal settings now that I have two more IPSs on the way! See if you can change the gamma settings in-game - I found it hard to see when playing The Saboteur but a little tweak of the gamma settings set things straight. Sorry I can't be more useful.

7. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

SAMOLED is also extremely battery consuming.

8. Huge

Huge aka Dave

I get two days life out of each charge at medium usage - enough considering I can charge up every night. I'm a happy man.

9. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

I have two (cheap) TN screens on my work computer and it doesn't bother me in the slightest after using my HP IPS screen.

Don't get me wrong, I love my IPS screen, but the difference isn't that amazing if I'm honest.

10. Zehetmayr

Zehetmayr Minimodder

Haven't got an IPS panel yet, but managed to get my heart set on a U3011. Currently scraping together pennies. Is it worth the extra £500 over the U2711? My head sais no but I can't help it. Only going to be using it for gaming and movies...

11. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I just got the same phone, honestly, the display is absolutely amazing!

12. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

For an extra £500, I'd rather have two U2711s.

13. wyx087

for film and gaming, that extra vertical space isn't very useful. 16:9 is mainstream now.

on the other hand, for productive work.....

14. murraynt

murraynt Modder

If I don't buy a IPS screen then I don't know what i'm missing out on :p

15. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Took delivery of more screens yesterday. My set up now includes 2 2209WAs and a U2410. All IPS, all incredible! :thumb:

16. Zehetmayr

Zehetmayr Minimodder

Very good point. Was toying with the idea of Eyefinity/Surround before deciding on one large screen anyway. 2xU2711 could become 3 soon enough for the best of both worlds. Good thinking!

Definately not going to miss the verticals?! Coming from a 22" 1680x1050 anyway so either of these are going to be a massive jump.

17. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Yesterday I took delivery of a HP ZR24w - First thing I noticed upon picking up the box was how heavy it was, it must weigh at least twice as much as my current BenQ 24”. Upon getting it out of the box, I was very very impressed at the build quality of the panel, the stand is gorgeous and slides smoothly, and again, with a real weight to it. The panel itself is about 3x as thick as my previous BenQ – not a problem, it absolutely oozes quality.

Upon booting up windows, I can’t say I was immediately blown away by the panel, but the whites are definitely whiter than before. Loaded up BFBC2, and this was where the panel came into its own. Soldiers and scenery looked gorgeous and there was a more definite distinction between darker areas (ie: it was easier to see what was going on in darker areas).

I haven’t had a chance to calibrate my screen yet, but will do so using Lagoom, but from initial impressions, I’m very pleased so far, particularly as I picked it up with 2 years still on the warranty for £200.

Lovely.

18. wyx087

welcome to IPS world :) BF3 on it is even more impressive.

vertical gives you more work space. HD films are 16:9, and games can be scaled to 16:9 or 16:10. so no, you won't miss the verticals for these things.

but you'll have to decide whether £500 is worth it for that few 4:3 videos you may play, and other classic games. (eg. Homeworld 2 HUD stretches quite a lot on 16:9) future is definitely going to be moving towards 16:9.

19. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

The U3011 isn't £500 more expensive than the U2711; you can get a new or refurbished (by Dell) one for £800-900 if you know where to look. For gaming you will love the extra three inches (27" 16:9 to 30" 16:10 is a big jump, believe it or not) and for movies you'll have a bigger physical viewing area. IMHO 27" vs 30" is a no-brainer if cost is not a concern. :thumb:

20. Zehetmayr

Zehetmayr Minimodder

You're right! Found a Dell employee discount scheme through work that are offering them new at £750 excluding VAT with a base warranty (not sure how long?) and a 3 yr premium panel exchange service. Seem like a reasonable deal? Might try using a 10% discount code on top just to be cheeky. U2711 at £525 exluding VAT.