1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows How can i remove windows xp from my laptop and reinstall windows Me -the laptops orig

Discussion in 'Software' started by JolinG, 11 Aug 2011.

1. JolinG

JolinG What's a Dremel?

I have recently bought a used laptop that is old. The person I had bought it from had installed windows xp on it, even though it originally came with windows Me. I want to remove the windows xp because it runs slows on the laptop because it takes up more memory than the windows Me would. Also I want to remove windows xp because it is an illegal copy. So when I tried to run updates on it, windows would not install updates because the windows xp is not genuine.

2. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

DO NOT install Windows Me, unless you want to have un unstable OS with lots of incompatibility.

Install Win98 if you want something lighter and want to stick with Cro$oft ... or try some Linux distro ... but if it came with WinMe it might be an old, not powerfull, laptop.

Try to change the HDD and add some memory (eBay is your friend). HDD tends to get slower with the time. Try to replace the thermal paste too to keep the CPU cool. But DO NOT expect do much for this laptop.

Linux distro with XFCE all the way if you want to extract the more out of it :thumb:.

3. rv88uk

rv88uk What's a Dremel?

I'd second linux, it's the way to go for older tech, I installed ubuntu on my old laptop and was suprised at how fast it ran, and it's a lot more user friendly than linux used to be. Windows ME is best ignored and forgotten

4. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

In all honesty, bung some more memory in or cut down on some of the startup programs in XP (i.e. msconfig>startup tab or try Soluto). When Me worked it was okay at the time, but my gosh if it didn't you were in a world of pain.

5. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

As above.

Do not install Windows ME.

If your laptop can't handle XP, then really you need to look at replacing it. Normally I would suggest upgrades as Guille above, however if the laptop originally came with ME, then it is an absolute false economy to invest in anything whatsoever, as parts will be hideously expensive for little to no gain.

If you absolutely must use this laptop, find yourself a Linux distro.

Sorry bro!

TSB

6. Ken Peterson

Ken Peterson What's a Dremel?

Hi , i don't know about install & remove OS.

7. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

lol, wait what..........

8. VeNoM JaCKaL

VeNoM JaCKaL L4D2 nom nom time!

After Vista, ME is the biggest joke of OS take these guys advice and never go back to it ever!!!

But if you did want to there probably is a restore partition if the previous user has not removed it that you can access with a certain key combination on boot. Otherwise you would need the a ME disc and the license key which is usually located underneath the laptop.

9. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

LOL, the funniest part is that; at his/her current post count, that post had to be reviewed and approved by a moderator before it was shown - So someone read it and thought, yeah, that makes perfect sense *approve*.

TSB

10. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

maybe he is working up to his 20 post count.

anyway, i tend to agree, don't put me on it, put 98 or a clean install of xp, and if poss upgrade memory to min 512MB

check ebay for win98 or win xp, disks with license. but be careful as some are not genuine.

11. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

That's all I can say as well. 98 or XP if you have to. Or Linux as suggested if you you speak 'nix.

12. GuilleAcoustic

Ubuntu can be a nice first approach to Linux (very windowish) ... with XFCE as environment instead of KDE or Gnome, this will be a very light OS.

13. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Alternately if you need a windows alike OS, you might give ReactOS a try. It's still 'alpha' but is more stable than ME. It's goal is to be an open source Win2000 clone. It's compatibility is fairly decent considering, but not everything will run correctly on it in its current state.
    But if you need something reliable, I would also suggest a lightweight linux distro. I personally recommend CrunchBang. It is very light no nonsense distro, based on Debain like Ubuntu. I've ran CB on as little as a 333mhz Celeron with 96mb ram and it still felt snappy.

14. GuilleAcoustic

Geeeenttoooooooo aaalll the wayyyy .... Ok, forget it :D

15. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

lol succesful troll is succesful

16. GuilleAcoustic

I LOVE your avatar, I have that sitting next to my TV :

[​IMG]

17. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Windows ME is better than Windows 98, being that it is basically the same with a few slightly half assed but useful XP-ey features embedded. Or am I misremembering?

Anyway.
    I'd second going with either a very minimalist XP install (nLited with light software installed), or a lightweight Linux distro.

18. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Wait what ? After Vista ? Vista was at least usable.

19. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

me was botched, it had many faults, was unstable and generally a pain in the ass.

on the right equipment vista was absolutely fine, it's just oem's were building **** that didn't even meet the real minimum requirements

oops, sorry i normally edit previous post, but forgot this time :-S

Last edited by a moderator: 12 Aug 2011
  20. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Not really - a busy mod glanced at the post, thought "Hmmm... Does that contain spam? No." Hit approve and moved on to nuking the free nike trainers and penis enhancements.