1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 2x GTX570, difference in PCB size?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HighWire, 11 Aug 2011.

1. HighWire

HighWire What's a Dremel?

Hello gents!

I've tried searching the forums for this could not find anything to help me clarify this issue (or I couldn't come up with the right search terms, another possibility...)

About a month ago I purchased myself a brand new gaming rig, seeing as I didnt have the budget at that moment for a second SLI card, I got a single Gainward GTX570 Golden Sample.

2 weeks ago the budget finally allowed for my SLI setup, so off I went to the store to get myself a second Gainward GTX570 Golden Sample.

When I unpacked it, I noticed the PCB was smaller in size! I quickly checked the box/booklet and whatnot to make sure it was the same card and according to those things, it is! Installation went without an issue, both cards are performing wonderfully, both have the same clock speeds...

The only differences I can find is the PCB size, the fact that the larger of the 2 is fed by a 1x 8pin and a 1x 6pin while the smaller is fed by 2x6pin. Is this merely a second revision of sorts? Or am I missing something?

The main reason why I am asking this is because I've started playing around with the idea of watercooling the rig (mainly for coolness/noise reasons, although overclocking might be in the future) and I am wondering wether I should be looking for 2 of the same waterblocks, or 2 different ones given the difference in PCB size?

I'll add a picture to clarify the issue a little bit!

[​IMG]

As you can see, the top card (wich was the first) is larger in size then the bottom one.

Any help or comments on this matter would be tremendously appreciated!

Kind regards,

HighWire

2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Simple - some vendors do not use reference Nvidia PCBs for their cards, and (in your case) a newer revision of the card may mean a new PCB layout.

At one point I had two GTX470s, one Palit (the one I kept) and one Point of View; the Palit card is non-reference and was considerably smaller than the Point of View card, and the PCB layout is quite different from the reference design.

After-market cooling for non-reference graphics cards is not an easy thing to find! You may need to remove the stock cooler to see how the components are laid out (particuarly voltage regulators, which get very hot) before you think about getting blocks for the cards.

3. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Go to the EK watercooling config thing (sorry, cba to find a link, Google will help you here) and see if they have a block out for either.

4. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

http://www.coolingconfigurator.com/ :lol::lol:

5. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

6. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Assuming the second card is a new revision it may also be using a non reference layout. It might be worth removing the coolers on both cards, before going any further down the water cooling route, to see if they are the same (bar the length) or completely different.

7. HighWire

Ah, somehow I expected these answers... At least my mind is somewhat at ease now :)

Thanks for the help guys!

8. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

The chances of the same block fitting both cards are very slim, as a change in the PCB size almost certainly necessitates different positioning of components such as VRegs and the like, while the core and RAM could be offset a different distance from the end of the card, etc.
    As said, pop the coolers off and check them before you order any full-cover blocks.

Knowing Gainward, neither of the cards will have a standard layout and you'll be hard-pushed to find a full-cover block at a reasonable price. :p
    I would go with a core-only water block + passively cooled card if possible, as I did here and here.
    That way your expensive waterblocks aren't rendered useless when you replace the cards and there's far less trouble with non-standard PCBs.

9. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

You could always just get GPU blocks, and then some RAMsinks for the rest of the card?

10. GuilleAcoustic

Enzotech makes good ones ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. HighWire

Simply a core block and passive ram sinks it seems would be the ideal solution then...
    Although I am slightly worried about the ram sinks tho, seeing as they'll require somewhat of an airflow to remain cool, although this issue can be alleviated by the strategic placement of fans I suppose...

You've been a great help gents, thank you very much!

EDIT: Those Enzotech blocks are stunning! Will deffo look into those!

12. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Simple, just get something like a Silverstone 140mm AP blowing over them and you'll be fine.

13. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

If you look at the links I posted above you can see that the RAMsinks are not always necessary, depending on the design of the stock HSF.

Trying to get RAMsinks to actually stick to the card when it's upside-down in a case has always proved a total nightmare for me because I'm not keen on using semi-permanent thermal paste/cement.
    Plus, on modern cards the power regulation and nvIO components typically need to be heatsinked as well.

All in all, I think you'd be better off using the stock heatsink plate (and maybe even the stock fan, set to a fixed, inaudible, low speed) to cool the ram and power; with a water block on the core.

14. HighWire

I was just looking at your links and I do like that solution alot aswell, will have to dig deeper into this once the wallet has grown enough for this little project :p

Further research has indeed shown that neither cards match the reference PCB, so a core block and either ramsinks or the original sink will be the solution to my little problem...

Oh well, had hoped for full block gloryness, but alas, more research for future purchases will have to be done I suppose :)

Thanks guys ;)

15. GuilleAcoustic

140mm only ..... go for the 180mm air penetrator nom nom nom, 180mm of pure hair brushing.

Enzotech also provides heatsink for VRM

[​IMG]

But I have to admit that I'm totaly in love with their GTX295 full cover ...

[​IMG]

... and the GTX285 passive heatsink (just throw the core block in it) :

[​IMG]

16. HighWire

Their blocks and fittings both look gorgeous, to bad they dont seem to have a CPU block for a 1155 socket (yet?)

17. GuilleAcoustic

they have an optional retention module which provide 1155/1156 compatibility

www.enzotechnology.com/1156_z.htm

[​IMG]

18. murraynt

murraynt Modder

:jawdrop:

19. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Don't forget to flick through my thread if your new to watercooling :) (link in sig)

Those GPU blocks are sexy, I prefer full cover blocks though...

20. GuilleAcoustic

The GTX295 one is a full cover, having fins to increase air cooling for parts that do not require water (VRM, RAM chip, etc.)