1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve announces Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 Aug 2011.

1. hirezo

hirezo Minimodder

About time! been wondering when they'd bring out a new CS.

Before I had the money to buy a pc that could play battlefield or cod I spent the whole of my summer playing counter strike. Great game, but after playing for 2 years I was totally fed up with it.

Mmmmm.... maybe its about time they made a Half life 3. Forget ep3 unless its totally new, fresh and awesome. The source engine WAS fun but it's time to move on from that, it lacks the fun of other games. The source engine is why I can't enjoy l4d or l4d2 they feel so outdated when there are so many new fun games to play...

2. Canon

Canon Reformed

Either way, if a pre-order is available I will be ordering it from whichever place, person or store can get it to me the quickest and I WILL pay over the odds. If it does happen to follow in the footsteps of 1.6 & Source then we have at the very least 6 years of play ahead of us. I'm also hoping that we can get a CPC server setup, the source one is already great but perhaps not with multigay this time.

3. gosh

gosh Minimodder

never liked CS, was always a UT/Q3 player - CS was far too twitch for my liking. more interested in the engine, is this an updated source or a prelude of something new ?

4. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

Love this game, although I don't play on-line - I'd get annihilated by kids...

5. stefan442

stefan442 Minimodder

6. r8bwp

r8bwp What's a Dremel?

loved playing the game but got tired of ppl using the hacks, level playing ground for all!

7. TeeJay88

TeeJay88 Whens the Damn Zombie Apocolypse

There was a blurb in game informer months ago, imho they need to quit screwing around and give us and ending to HL.

8. geoboy333

geoboy333 Sometimes I say something bright...

Yay for a new CS. I hate to say it but IMO CSS is getting abit dated amongst the other FPS on the market today.

As for Half Life, they are more likely to make it Half Life 3, not Ep 3 as It would give them an opportunity to introduce the next HL engine.

Also, The gameplay does not need to be completely CODified as that is one of the reasons why CSS has lasted so long; Because the gameplay is unique and standsout from other FPS.

9. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Ep3 etc etc

This is a complete waste of time. CS1.6 and CS:S are still going strong. What's the point in diversifying your brand even more?

10. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Given that another studio is involved in making CS:GO, just as another studio worked on L4D and L4D2, I don't think this really impacts much on HL2 EP3.
    I'd rather see Valve taking their time with the next part of the HL series than just throwing people at it as the majority here seem to think can be done to get a game finished.

Yeah, we've been waiting far too long already, but bitching about every other Valve project just because it's not HL2 Ep3 doesn't make a whole lot of sense or mesh well with the realities of games development as I understand them.

11. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

no, this is one of the games that people actually want other than EP3. dont complain.

12. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

CS:S is what 10 years old? Yet Episode 2 is like 4. I think a new game is warranted a bit more than EP3. Of course, I want Valve to release EP3 with this game.

13. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Meanwhile Gordon Freeman is in his 60's and has a very bad health from all the toxic exposures And is now addicted to morphine because of all the injections from the suit. Alyx is engaged with Barney cause Freeman was to old for her and Barney was the only other human left in the city, all others are turned into combines. oh... and last thing I heard she maybe pregnant caused by a headcrab infection. Dog was so jealous about this and terminated himself by jumping from the Citadel in desperation. Its a sad story. I know but it's true!

In the real world all the people who played half life, are now in the late 30's have kids and do not have any time left to play any game at all because they are working to pay of their dept to pay groceries, give money to their kids or feeding the kids.

14. tennisball

tennisball [Insert witty comment here]

^ This this this this

I just don't understand why every time Valve announces a new game that isn't a Half-Life game, people get their hypoallergenic Depends in a twist. You're damn fools if you believe that the next Half-Life game isn't being developed or that Valve can't develop more than one game at a time. Just because they're not giving us trailers and updates and announcements and **** all of the time doesn't mean they're not working on it. They have enough employees to have multiple projects going.

(This doesn't apply to everyone in the thread, just the idiots who think that they're entitled to get pissed off every time Valve announces a new game.)

15. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

you be trolling? CS more twitch than Quake 3 arena? perhaps one of the most twitch heavy series?

16. Oggyb

Oggyb Mutant

I liked Hidden Path's Defense Grid game, very enjoyable, so I'm expecting reasonable things from this refresh.

That said, Defense Grid was also very X-boxey on PC, so I also expect the PC version of CS:GO to have the same port-like qualities.

17. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Eh? CS:S came out end of 2004. The point is, it's still the most played game on Steam. Why change it? It's clearly working. This may very well be the reason WHY they are changing it though.. the avid community means garunteed sales.

Fair enough releasing a new version along with a new engine along with HL2:EP3/HL3 etc but there is no point unless it's a new engine.

18. tennisball

tennisball [Insert witty comment here]

You could say exactly the same about the Bettlefield games though, and everyone around here seems to be on EA/DICE's dick.

19. toolio20

toolio20 What's a Dremel?

It amazes me how modern companies are able to cannibalize their fan bases so effectively - Calls of Modern Warfare 12: Bad Dooty and so on...I can't believe people keep buying this crap repeatedly! This isn't to say some companies haven't released slews of the SAME FCUKING GAME over and over ad nausium ad infinitum before (lookin' at you, Mario and Mega Man) but it just seems more blatant to me these days...perhaps that's the old age talking.

So yeah, why Valve wants to waste our gott damn time by regurgitating CS again is beyond my ken as a begrudgingly optimistic gamer; although I have to concede it does make business sense (as the one bloke stated, I do indeed think Fat Gaybe is trying to cash in on the Modern Call of Warfare bandwagon), I don't have to like it.

And I don't.

Screw CS. Screw hats. They need to focus on Half-Life.

If you don't understand what all the hullabaloo is about getting on with the game that put Valve on the map, fine - but they ended the last "episodic" installment on a fcuking cliff hanger, and 4 years is too long to wait for the conclusion of the storyline, especially with their refusal to come clean to the players and provide news one way or another (i.e. is it coming, or are they choosing to go with a full-on HL3 project instead). No one says they can't work on other games, but its mind boggling that they choose to rehash a fan mod (no matter its enduring popularity) instead of moving forward with their flagship IP.

Half-Life, to my thinking, is like the flying car - assuredly cool when it arrives, but a far-flung concept that may only possibly make it to market at some undetermined point in the distant future. Way to alienate the fan base there, Valve...

20. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

Doesn't stuff like BF3 make stuff like CS obsolete?

Tags: Add Tags