1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Why so many Core i7-2600 flavours?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Baz, 11 Aug 2011.

1. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

So what you're all saying is: "It's not confusing when you know what all the different letters mean", which kind of misses the point of the article.

2. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Can someone give me an example of something which is well named? Seems like if it's not Intel it's Nvidia we're having a go at for their naming system :)

3. Hakuren

Hakuren What's a Dremel?

Well you can say typical Intel. I understand models where you can reduce power drain, but I don't get it why K version isn't VT compatible. It doesn't make sense at all.

Still for home user that is not a big deal. If you want to setup virtual machine (e.g. for XP) then there is always Virtual Box.

4. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

All "2nd generation" Core i processors can be virtualized in the commonly known sense. That's what Intel calls VT-x. What the K versions funnily do not support, when more lowly versions do, is VT-d or I/O virtualization.

5. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

It has VT-x support - at least Intel seem to include it on all their CPUs now. As said previously though, it doesn't support VT-d - which apparently is a PCI-passthrough & allows a virtual PC access to PCI/PCI-E cards.

It's a masssive mistake for Intel not to support it on the K CPUs. Rather than dual-booting XP/7 as I currently do, with VT-d support I could simply install 7 & then install XP as a virtual PC with it having access to my GPU for gaming (and gaining from not having to accomodate XP with the correct BIOS settings (lack of ACHI support and NCQ on HDDs being a good example)). Surely disabling such an important feature on a CPU that is most likely going to be used in gaming rigs is a major fail...

Last edited: 13 Aug 2011
  6. Durtey

Durtey What's a Dremel?

It's cheaper to mass-produce one chip with all the features and then disabling the ones you don't want to use for the different models later.
    The 2500k was never meant to have the disabled features so they turned them off.

7. kent thomsen

kent thomsen What's a Dremel?

Isn´t it about saving the consumers appetite for Ivy Bridge?

Tags: Add Tags