1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays PC monitors, whats good???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Trenthan, 17 Aug 2011.

1. Trenthan

Trenthan What's a Dremel?

Hey guys/girls and thanks in advance

My PC monitor literally went pop the other night so i need a new replacement. I haven't kept up with the tech much or brands since i'm flat out with uni so i'm after some advice.

I'm looking for a 27" since i do a lot of cad work and the size really helps.

Ive stuck my head into some of the local PC stores and these five monitors were the ones that caught my eye.

Asus VE278Q, 3 year warranty, LED
    http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/39274-ve278q

BenQ M2700HD, 3 year warranty, LCD
    http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/37369-m2700hd

ViewSonic VX2753MH, 3 year warranty, LED
    http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/vx2753mh-viewsonic-vx2753mh-p-51055.html?sort=2a

ACER B273H, 3 year warranty, LCD
    http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/36772-b273h

ACERS273HL, 3 year warranty, LED
    http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/39955-s273hl

Any recommendations?? or brands to stay clear off??? or any that stand out from the above????
    Worth going for LED over LCD....??? (btw there are more pricier monitors available in some of the stores i visited, i just don't want to pay an arm or a leg for something either)

Open to suggestions

Cheers,
    Trent

2. Hawkest

Hawkest I got some 4GB new RAM

Led and lcd are separate parts of a monitor.... led monitors are back-lit by bright leds and the lcd part controls the colours u see...

not sure on those specific monitors have u checked amazon user reviews?

3. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I'd buy the U2410, it's only a 24" monitor but it isn't what I'd call small. It's an IPS monitor so the color is true and crisp and no/little backlight bleed for black backgounds.

But if you want real advice wait for Goodbytes, he'll set you straight on monitors.

4. Trenthan

Im chewing through stuff now,

The_Beast: Goodbytes????? (assuming a user haha??)

**EDIT
    Just found a post by him in another thread quoted below. Very good and was an excellent read. Shall be interesting to hear his say

Last edited: 17 Aug 2011
  5. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

He knows everything about monitors

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Hello! :)

Thanks for the quote, and I am glad it was interesting and helpful! :D
    (I always enjoy some rep points :D )

Now, what I have to say... well... Ok, something you should know about me.
    I am all for providing the best computer user experience, so my standards are higher than most. I won't say it's sky high, as I am responsible. Many would say any monitor will do. Just get a TN and be done with it, and be happy with the low price that you paid. It shows text fine, colors are there, your all good.

If you want to go with that approach, then go ahead, I can't block you against that, million and million of people are happy with such setup.

However, I find it shameful, in the sense that before this LCD technology came along, we used to use BETTER monitors. The only big downside they had was that they were big and heavy, and it seamed that the phosphor coating the glass was expensive (because cheap one was a flickering madness as the phosphor doesn't retain the light for a long enough period of time for the cathode cannon to come back on that pixel to re-apply the light, and descent one was almost perfect for the same refresh rate setting).
    Our CRT's were 8-bit colors, were sharper than TN panels, didn't have any back light bleeding.. sure over time the image shifted and looses it's geometrical structure. But usually higher end range of the descent range monitor offered almost or all adjustment feature to fix that, and push the monitor for a long life cycle of 4-5 years, instead of 3 years, or 2 years for cheap one.

Another thing I find shameful, is we use our computer for MANY hours a day.. it's part of life, if you will. Why live with crappy image output, nothing enjoyable about it, not very sharp text (annoying when programming or doing a large CAD project), and not a very comfortable setup as you always need to adjust your screen to get the best image quality.. and that is assuming you don't give up in doing so.

I get getting a TN panel for laptops (as well the other technology consume way more power, and well you don't have much choice), or for low end systems, or for those you casually use the computer. But when we pay extra attention on building our computer, buying on at 1500, 2000, 3000, and some even 6000$, and get a 200$ monitor, is just completely shameful. Especially that the monitor (and keyboard and mouse) is the main things we interact with the computer. And it's not like an IPS panel is really expensive today. It's not like before.

My CRT, which was nothing fancy, especially that I was younger and did not know much about anything, was 450$ for a 17inch (NEC). So seeing let's say the Dell U2410 at 500$.... that bargain.. you get better colors (well for one, it did not deteriorate over time, as it's brand new), much higher resolution, all the inputs you want, fully adjustable stand, and provides a close feel to a CRT in term of performance, no (well minimal amount) back light bleeding, so blacks look like black (assuming proper brightness, in room and on the monitor). It's totally worth it. And the U2410 is essentially the cream of the crop of sub-1000$ monitors.. so far, I have not seen a monitor that provides more value or feature or does thing better that is in between the U2410 and a 1000$ + monitor. So if you can't afford that one... well.. it's ok, entry level IPS panels are cheaper, very close to a high end TN, and it crushes the best TN panel around like no tomorrow.

The way I see things is that your monitor broke, ok, why not get something proper just for a bit more.

Ok yes, you want 27inch.... but do you?
    All the 27inch you mention are ONLY 1920X1080. Already TN panels aren't very sharp..... now you are pushing a 23inch resolution to a 27inch! WOW! You better sit far from your computer.
    All it will do, is not give you any more space... in fact you'll LOSE space (lose desk space), your resolution, therefor work area on your screen is the same, just everything is extra BIG).

Get a nice 23 (1920x1080) or 24inch (1920x1200), and stay with sharp text. Need things better? No problem Win + "+" to zoom-in your screen, Win + "-" key to zoom out. Win+ Esc to exit. (Windows 7 only feature). I have these assigned on my mouse extra buttons, when I need to check at a pixel level alignment on my program interfaces items, or other tasks that I need to look very closely.

My recommendation is the Dell U2410, 16:10 aspect ratio will give you a lot of height on your screen over 1920x1080, which gives you more work space, and gain some space from toolbars and such from your programs. Plus, well you can pout anything on it as well. And as a bonus feature the monitor come with 2 pre-calibrated profiles Adoeb RGB and sRGB.. now they aren't the best calibration in the world, but for someone who want better and proper colors, and don't know where to start.. well... it's an excellent point to start without the need to cash out on a color calibrator. The U2410 has a lot more features: picture-in-picture, side-by-side picture-in-picture, 1:1 pixel mapping (can get a source on it without scaling the image). 10-bit color support (the monitor is 8-bit, but because of the compatible color processor and 10-bit look-up Table.. it can apply the same trick as 6-bit panels do to display 8-bit colors.. but this time it's using 8-bit colors to display 10-bit colors. I doubt you'll use it (as you need Display port, and well the software in the first place, but it's one of those "nice to have" features). Oh and a metal stand (well black parts are in plastic, but metal under it.. they are decoration)

If it's really out the question, have a look at the HP ZR24W which is still 16:10 1920x1200 display.. not as impressive HP ZR24W. It's colors out of the box are OK.

There is the Dell U2412M, which is a cheaper version of the U2410, and uses white LED's instead of a high grade CFL lamp (so not as good whites).. I can't comment on this monitor at all, as I am still waiting for proper reviews on it. It's a16:10 aspect ratio monitor. It's a basic essential monitor... plastic stand (probably has some metal inside it), and essential connections: Display Port, DVI and VGA. Nothing special on it. like the U2410, and no pre-calibrated color profile bonus feature. BUT it's cheaper.

If those are still out the question... than the Dell U2311H. Looks like the U2410, but 16:9 (1920x1080), and has only the essential connections: Display port, DVI, and VGA. Uses a high grade CFL lamp, same stand, but not as feature complete, and no pre-calibrated color profile bonus feature.

No? That's ok, we can go with the LG IPS231P-BN, which is similar to the U2311H, a hint slower, and uses white LED back light instead. and uses a plastic stand, but the mechanical system is in metal, and it's a solid quality stand. This one though, only has basic connections: DVI and VGA.

Important note:
    All monitor suggested:
    -> Are full matte, no glossy plastic... so you can focus on your work,and not be distracted. Also doesn't show scratches on the frame and all that, which will appear after 2 years or so, especially up close on your desk, well you'll be more prone of cleaning as you'll touch it more, and see dust particles.

-> All monitor features a fully adjustable quality stand.

-> All monitor suggested are really liked by users on this forum. These monitor are more than just "good reviews", it's really enjoyed by people here. And gets used on a longer test environment than a week or less to try to get a review out as fast as possible

-> All monitor, no mater what you pick above, provides you an EXCELLENT deal for the price. You get a lot for what you paying for.

-> Be sure to shop around for the best price. Dell products are sold outside of the Dell website, same for HP.

So what do you think of those?
    Seek something in particular after knowing more about monitors and seeing the above?

(Yes, my posts are usually this long... you have to see my PM's. I most of the time need to split the post in 3 parts due to the forum character limit :D )

Trenthan likes this.
  7. Trenthan

Thanks for the info

Ill look into it for sure. Stupidly even the **elite** computer stores on my side of town don't stock any dells or hp hence why there is no mention of them in my list. The more expensive ones i spoke of are this 3D rubbish. (Well not quite rubbish but for my purpose useless). Ill have a hunt around elsewhere starting tomorrow.

Until the other day i had a Dell, pity it was only 1680x1050 though but i loved it!

I sit at least a meter back from my monitor when the keyboard is slide out, otherwise 80-90cm away when I'm not typing. (I have a very deep desk since a lot of technical drawings are A1 or A2, and have the monitor mounted).

Sitting that far away do you think a large screen such as a 27inch will still be blurry with only 1920x1080??. I struggled at times reading the text with my previous monitor due to its size, and the zoom in and out became my best friend haha. (it was a 21" or 22" at 1680x1050)

As a side note: im hoping i can fix it. The caps look swollen so hopefully they can be replaced and im sweet! I just dont have the time atvm to play around with it.

8. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

I nominate u2410. Not only you get an amazing picture quality but it will blow your gaming world experience. If you’re a gamer that this is the IPS you want. Games such as: “Counter Strike Source”, “Battlefield Bad Company2” plays without glitch. Unlike many other IPS monitor it got 6GTG which is not bad at all. However to get that speed you will need to switch into gaming mode. If you never had IPS experience don’t worry I didn’t either, but after buying I was impressed. Monitor really speaks for itself. GBytes made me buy it and I’m glad.

9. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

A fine decent balance is the LG IPS23 whatever it's called. It's not overly pricey, but it's quite a mark above the TN panels at least.

10. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

You won't find quality monitors in retail stores (well very hard), especially NOT IPS panel, aside from Apple iMacs (it uses a very entry level IPS panel).
    The reason for this, is that the average consumer doesn't care about anything really, beside price. Lower it is, the better. Hence why we have this 1 year warranty from manufactures, why everything is so damn cheap quality, computers are loud, slow, bloated with ads and trial software... poor engineering, all in the name to reduce the product price.
    A person sees a 24inch monitor at 300$, and another next to it at 80$. They'll get the 80$ right away, without hesitation, even if the 80$ one has a resolution of 800x600, super fuzzy text, and everything is blue. They don't care, they are happy "Look I am not the sucker that paid 300$ for a 24inch monitor!".

In the old days, before I was born, things where different, people seek quality and smart engineering before anything, and businesses were less stingy and less focus on profit, and focused in making a proper product and consumer satisfaction.

Have a look at the Apple iMac screen... see how nice it is.. well that is an very entry level IPS monitor. The U2410 is a nice step up (and non-glossy).