1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks study laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Potus, 16 Aug 2011.

1. Potus

Potus What's a Dremel?

Hi guys

I'm looking for a new study laptop. I'm searching for one with +4 hours on the battery and otherwise a good laptop!

I've been looking at a Asus AL80VT, as it has a good battery.

What would you guys recommend?

My budget is 400-450 € - I know I won't get an awesome machine but my hopes are high :)

Note that I live in Denmark, and need it pretty soon - so my options are limited..

- Cheers, Potus

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I cannot find this laptop model in an ENglish site, can you share the specs, warranty, and battery life?

3. Potus

Potus What's a Dremel?

4. GoodBytes

Looks good.

In Canada ASUS after sale service (customer service and warranty is total abysmal (no one works there.. you leave messages, and within the next week or so someone MIGHT call you), so be sure you in your region ASUS warranty is good.

Resolution is not great. 1440x900 would be MUCH better, but it's fine. It's not terrible.
    Keyboard layout is meh...

Touchpad might be hard to use as it seams that you'll be sliding your finger directly on glossy surface.. so that will suck big time, in my opinion.

And well, it's glossy all the way (but matte will costs more (cause it's aimed at businesses, so you get the whole package with it: higher build quality, better warranty service (even local during office hours with some companies and depending your area), and better cooling, quieter, better keyboard, and all that).

Just a note, that ASUS is always stretching their battery life to extremes. So maybe expect 8-9 hours.. which is still superb.

DDR3 memory is complete waist, because Core 2 Duo Bus speed (communication between the CPU and memory), is limited to DDR2 speeds (800MHz)
    http://ark.intel.com/products/42791/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-SU7300-(3M-Cache-1_30-GHz-800-MHz-FSB)
    So just to say.

CPU is a little week.. but it should handle basic needs fine.. don't expect playing games on it, but games at minimum settings might be possible. Their is a chance that the GPU might be bottleneck with the CPU on some CPU intensive games.

Make sure you get it with Win7 64-bit.

5. Potus

Potus What's a Dremel?

Allright ! Yea, i'm mostly gonna use it for study-use, itunes, movies etc. so I'm not worried about the grapichs!

I actually bought the laptop today, and so far so good :thumb:

Some minor problems with the mousepad when using two fingers for scrolling, but otherwise fine!

I'm excited about this laptop - feels great and have some really great options for powersaving! Went from 4 hours to +9 hours with the powersaving mode on (with 90% on the batt.) :)

6. GoodBytes

Yes, for these purposes this laptop is perfect.
    I always like buying extra long battery life laptops.. even if I don't need this much battery, but laptop battery ain't cheap at all. So at least it lasts longer before it needs to be replaced (and by that I mean that battery stop providing sufficient battery life for my needs).

Of course, as I am a student as well, I got some semesters where I only need 3-4 hours, and some I need 5-6-7 hours.

Tags: