1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V MP3 Players

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nedsbeds, 13 Mar 2003.

1. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

I would like an mp3 player. and id like peoples suggestions. it needs to be a hard disk one (at least 10 gig) and be able to be used as a removable storage device in windows. id love an ipod (i think thats what its called!) you know the apple one, but i cant really justify £330 for one of those. id like one that looks nice as well. i dont really like the look of the creative one. thanks

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

you can get the ipod at education prices if you or someone you know are a student on teh apple website for £240, £305, and £370 for teh 5,10 and 20gb respectively

not a whole lot of difference but still a difference
    im probably getting a 5gb o a 10gb asa they are so grrrrrreeeeaaat :D

3. Nedsbeds

how do they check if you're a student?? nus card or something? thats deffinately worth looking in to. thanks

4. Nedsbeds

damn. have to be 18 or over for the student thing.

5. Fronzel

Fronzel What's a Dremel?

The Nomad Zen is pretty sweet looking. Like the iPod, only slightly larger, cheaper and sounds better.

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

surely you know soneone thats 18 or over and a student, like about a million people on these forums.
    when i sent into the apple store i got a blakc pro jeyboard and they made me fill in some paperwork so i would imagine they just have you fill in some form or something. ill probably buy a 12" powerbook in about a month when i have mnore money as the student discount is about £200 off :D

7. Nedsbeds

although i would be extremely happy with either the ipod or the zen they both have problems. ipod; only firewire, so not a problem at home but its difficult at school because none of the pcs have firewire ports. the zen is usb but needs drivers installing to use it as removable storage and i cant install things on school computers, otherwise it would be perfect.
    thanks for the input so far
    and before anyone asks its for transfering large audio files not warez downloaded from the internet that i need the hard drive for.

8. LoopyJuice

LoopyJuice Astronomical

Personally I would go with the Zen, firewire is a LOT faster than USB (unless you are talking about USB 2) why would you be taking it to school?

9. Fronzel

Fronzel What's a Dremel?

You can get the Zen in USB, Firewire and USB 2.0 flavors.

10. LoopyJuice

LoopyJuice Astronomical

Well that's the nail in the coffin of the Ipod :) go for the Zen!

11. Nedsbeds

i do music tech so i often have to transfer large wav files and my zip disk is too big to carry around. has anyone here got a zen. i want to know if the file manager software needs to be installed or whetyehr you can just run it from the disk.

12. LoopyJuice

LoopyJuice Astronomical

Could you not put the files on CD? or just buy a portable hard drive?

13. Nedsbeds

whats the point. i want an mp3 player as well!

14. LoopyJuice

LoopyJuice Astronomical

Yeah sorry I just hate the programs that some mp3 players force you to use to transfer files :)

15. micb

micb Minimodder

No no no you want what I use, one of these lovely CD/MP3/WMA CD Players from Iriver.

The IRiver slimX 350 is thin,long battery life, has a cool LCD controller, upgradable firmware, plays all types of CD and has a decent 12mw per channel amplifier.

http://www.iriver.com/product/detail.asp?idx=5&product_name=iMP-350

It has a line level out so you can plug it into your hifi.

You can get them for £140 - £180 depending on where you go.

16. Nedsbeds

No no no, deffinately want a hard drive! thanks for the suggestion anyway

17. mr. phantastik

mr. phantastik What's a Dremel?

i've had my 10 gig ipod for about 8 months now, and honestly use it at least 2 hours a day during the week. I have never seen a better designed product ever. That said, it does have its weaknesses, as in too many drops and it goes caput. Then again so would a zen, as they're both hard drive based. Platters don't like read heads slamming into them.

One thing to look for is support. I've had to replace my ipod twice (once i dropped it too many times, and the other time the battery life was crap, and then it died). Each time I've had a problem, Apple has sent me a new iPod no questions asked, free. They send me a box for shipping my old ipod, they pay for shipping, and then send me a new one within a week. Well, i should say that this "new" one is factory refurbished, but to be honest i can't tell the difference.

Oh, and the programs for transferring music to the ipod in windows are really nice. I use XPlay myself, as my iPod is the original Mac ver, not the new windows one.

Sorry for rambling, just my experiences :D

18. Draxin

Draxin Seeker of Photons

WHATEVER YOU DO STAY AWAY FROM THE RIOVOLT 90

I HAVE ONE I HATE THE THING 3 hour batterylife for mp3s (package says 15 wonder what they were smoking) even worse for audio CDS

the thing will just pause itself randomly.

i hate the thing but im stuck with it till my laptop shows up

STAY AWAY FROM THE RIOVOLT 90

19. y2rock

y2rock What's a Dremel?

I have an archos jukebox 20gb and that is mostly plug and play but does come with a driver cd anyway, it is only USB but I think you can get a USB 2.0 version and the files are easy to access as it will appear under my computer as a new drive so you will access them through windows.
    It's a good MP3 player too

20. Dorza

Dorza What's a Dremel?

Archos Jukebox Multimedia 20gig

Great little unit, ive got one of these and love it. It comes with a USB 1 cable but u can get a USB2 or Firewire cable to attatch to it. It has a colour LCD on it so u can watch Movies on it to :), plus you can buy a little 1.3mega pixel camera attachment which will obviously take photos and it will take video clips, (about 40 hours worth on an empty Hard drive if i remember correctl) though their not the best quality understandably at 1.3mp, but there archos may bring out higher quality ones later on.Also you can get attatchments which allow you to atttach smart media cards and compact flash cards to the device allowing you to transfere ur Digital images over to it. There are negatives with it such as the USB1 and 2 cable is short and the power cable could be longer asewll also it does look a little scruffy and tacky in the flesh but so far its been robust and reliable for me. ive dropped it a few times from a hight of 1metre+ and it still works fine :) but its pluses far out weight its negatives in my opinion. so in all you have a :

20gig Hard drive for backing up data
    MP3 player
    1.3 MegaPixel Camera (If u buy the attachment)
    Video recorder (a basic one)
    Smart media or Compact Flash card reader (if you buy the modules)

i think QVC sell them for around the 400 quid mark with all the extras except a usb2 or firewire cable. thats where i had mine from ne way. On its own i think the actual unit is 350 quid somthing around that mark. Hope this helps :)

Linky here

EDIT: Forgot to mention that you can connect it to ur TV and view all ur photos on screen as well as playing movie files. I played a DVD rip of Monsters inc on it last nite after converting to somthing the Unit likes to play and i have to say i was impressed with the quality. it was better than i thought it would be. and thats viewing it on a 36" tv. On a portable its even better.

Last edited: 5 Apr 2003