1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA to limit The Old Republic sales at release

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 19 Aug 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Bit-tech are gonna limit the sales more based on everything published so far...

3. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

4. Redsh1rt

Redsh1rt What's a Dremel?

Are they really doing this to increase server stability at launch or trying to get as many people to pre-order as possible to ensure that they get in at launch? As much as I want this game I can't really believe them after they said that the collector's edition digital download wasn't far off selling out. I've never heard Steam or Impulse say that they've sold out on a particular game!

If they really are worried about launch they should take a look at Rift. EA have a lot more resources than Trion so they should be able to cope (one would think!).

5. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

WoW that link was..... disappointing, the combat just looked....dull.

6. knuck

knuck Hate your face

So... They'll stop some unfortunate gamers from downloading/playing the game in order to make this a more enjoyable launch ? I understand they want to avoid a disaster but now they're just creating one on purpose and by themselves

7. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

Well, I really couldn't be bothered anymore....

8. Jezcentral

Jezcentral Minimodder

I know we are supposed to hate both EA and the game, but how is this anything other than good and responsible behavior from EA?

9. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Translation: We're too cheap to bring some extra servers online so we'll just **** you over if you didn't pay us fast enough.

10. Tris

Tris What's a Dremel?

I think this is a good call. It's not viable for them to set up hundreds of servers to handle the peak day one demand (which then will almost certainly trail off rapidly until/unless the game becomes popular).

So many MMO launches have been crippled by poor experiences early on due to queues and lag, that kind of thing undoubtedly damages the image of a game.

It's not ideal, but in practical terms it's the best way (imo) to handle it.

11. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Whether the gameplay leaves a little to be desired or not, there's a huge SW fanbase out there and the chance to play an MMO with hundreds of thousands of other fans will be too much to resist... me included.

Even if I only play for a couple of months, it still costs less than a night on the town, so I'll be making my own judgement on release day.

12. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Why don't they just concentrate on a new UO. It's about time they did.

13. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

No disrespect to those involved, but I couldn't give two singular plops about this game.

That's not to say it'll be rubbish or more of the same, it's just...

Ok I'm lying that's exactly what I'm saying

Limit away, limit to your hearts content!!

14. 2bdetermine

2bdetermine What's a Dremel?

Seriously The Secret World is a lot more interesting than this dull looking SWTOR. I'm not sure what kind of graphic engine they're using, but it looks more like devolution.

15. rollo

rollo Modder

Star wars has millions of fans who are waiting to play this, EA are been smart for once

16. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

17. Trefarm

Trefarm No matter what... It's all good

Every Media outlet on the net has slammed the game as rubbish, plus the usual haters are out in force, plus the pissed off fans who will pick apart the lore for errors.

Initial sales projections are probably looking low at EA HQ... this seems like a quick fix.

My cynical translation...

"QUICK! QUICK! You need to pre-order our game it's LIMITED! don't read those bad previews, don't wait for reviewss. You need to give us your MONEY!"

Plus if the sales figures are low, EA can save face and claim that they planned it that way...

18. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Funny, that's exactly what i was thinking.

How long will it take to "scale up"?

Because if I had this game on pre-order, or bought it on release day, and got told I couldn't play it for a couple of weeks simply so they don't have to spend lots on initial server rental, I'd take it back in disgust.

Which actually presents a very interesting problem: you can't return opened PC software. Except the EULA instructs you to, if you do not agree with the terms and conditions set out within it. And retailers are obliged to refund you for items "not fit for purpose". Round and round it goes, where it stops...

19. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Aside from the issues above, does anyone else think the graphics for this are rather... Awful? I know MMO's aren't the last word in amazing graphics to make sure you can keep the playerbase nice and wide, but that looks truly terrible.

20. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

Poor graphics are the least of its problems imo...

Tags: Add Tags