1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA to limit The Old Republic sales at release

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 19 Aug 2011.

1. cubixxx

cubixxx What's a Dremel?

I think if you bought it they'd let you in, the number of copies sold will be limited, unless I've misunderstood?

Interesting that they would do this, I guess it will help with launch stability and they can ensure a steady stream of new players for the first few months(maybe even a year?). Which I guess is a steady flow of revenue rather than an initial burst followed by declining increase in subscriptions.

Now I think about it this is a smart move the focus is on maintaining the interest rather than focussing on just getting the game on the shelf which is not what an MMO needs.

2. John_T

John_T Minimodder

In fairness, that scenario is the complete and total opposite of what they're talking about. Whether the reasons for (saying they will) limit the release are genuine or not, they're saying they'll do it to stop player problems like that.

I'm sure they're got numbers in their heads as to how many they think they'll sell compared to how many they think they can cope with on day one - they just want to be sure. I think Tris was right, this is probably not a bad idea. Star Wars the game is a bit like Star Wars the films - it almost doesn't matter how bad the reviews are, there'll be a glut of people determined to find out for themselves anyway.

How many people here heard bad reviews of the 'prequel' films?
    And how many went to see them regardless?

3. Sensei

Sensei What's a Dremel?

That was one really dull trailer. They should have spent their budget on making a full length film likethe trailers they made which were absolutely stunning, especially the one with the Jedi babe with the twin sabre that managed to stop the SIths blade with her hand. Shockingly awesome.
    They should also stuck to their best working formula and simply made Kotor 3 with an online jedi battle mode for this that want to play online withtheir mates. No need for monthly fees and scaled down graphics then.

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

If too many have pre-ordered, I'm half expecting "not enough" copies of the game to ship to places like Amazon, Game, Gamestop etc.

Will be interesting to see when/if places stop taking pre-orders before the release of the game, and if they've already gone over that limit, how long it takes to fulfill all the back orders before they can actually start selling them properly.

Yes, I'm cynical.

Very few things have proved my cynicism wrong in recent years. ;)

5. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Hm, why do I get the feeling I was right about difficulties with playing this game, even with pre-orders?

Source

Tags: Add Tags