1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling New water cooling build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TehKrak3n, 20 Aug 2011.

1. TehKrak3n

TehKrak3n What's a Dremel?

Hi

This is going to be my first attempt at water cooling so looking for some advice on what to get.
    My case is a 650d and im looking to cool the cpu (2600k) + 2x gpu (gtx570). I am looking to overclock, but my main priority is to get a near-silent rig.

Atm I have been looking at buying a watercooling kit for the roof and then adding an extra 200mm rad at the front of the case as well as the gpu blocks.

I have been looking around and the RASA 750 kit seems to be very popular, but will the pump be able to keep up with all the extra work?
    The other kit available is the EK h30 supreme but from my searches the RASA kit seems better overall, except for the pump?
    I could however put all the components together myself, as that is what the kit generally is, however I am lead to believe the kit is cheaper than buying all the components separate.

My case at the top has a clearance of about 6.5-7 cm so I would probably have to go with the RASA RS kit, will this and a 200mm (thinking Phobya 200mm) be enough to keep the rig cool with the fans running silent?

Thanks in advance - TehKrak3n

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Your first place to start if your wanting to get into this is my watercooling how to thread (link in sig), that'll get you started :)

3. TehKrak3n

I read ur post ... how easy is it to remove the GPU HS to put the water block on?
    Does the size of tubing used make a big difference to the temps?

4. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

The Rasa with the extra rad throw in would be a good choice and the pump will cope with it all no trouble.

Getting the heat sinks off is the easy bit, the fiddley bit is putting it all back together again. As for tubing some people will tell you that it matters, I use 3/8 and my temps are brilliant.

Edit: Pet will probably tell you that my cooling system is over the top but it all works happily on 3/8....lol

5. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Tubing size doesnt really make a lot of difference to temps - from what I have found anyway.

depends if you want a high pressure or high flow system. Both have their merits, after water cooling for a number of years I always tend to lean towards high flow systems.

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I have both :)

As for tubing, I prefer the look of big tubing personally :)

GPU heatsinks are fairly easy to remove, just breaking the seal on the TIM and pads are the only challenge really :) I can now swap blocks on on my GFX card in 20 minutes :)

7. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I'll have to admit I prefer high flow over high pressure.

8. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

It's not the size of the tubing, but how you use it.

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Said like someone who has small tubing... :p

10. TehKrak3n

Do EK still have problems with nickel in their blocks (thinking about GPU)?

11. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I think as long as you go for their new nickel plating you'll be fine, I believe it has the suffix "EN" after the product name, here:

Click Me.

It does seem to bump the price up of the blocks though.. saves you having to buy a new loop though..

12. TehKrak3n

With my motherboard I will have 1 case slot between my GPUs, will I need a special connector or will I be able to use compressions with a little bit of tube between them?

13. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

14. TehKrak3n

15. Big Elf

That one is too long. The smallest fitting in the first link I gave would be the one to use.

I haven't got any Bitspower black fittings which are a proper black but the black nickel varies in shade from manufacturer to manufacturer. The Enzotech ones http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/product...h-Black-Sparkle-BSLI-1-SLI-Verbinder-Set.html might be a good match for a proper black but they're described as black sparkle rather than black so then again might not match.

Edit: Forgot to add earlier but if you do get a D-Plug double check the distance between cards before ordering.

16. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Just go for copper

17. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Black nickle is completely different to black. I have the black bitspower fittings and they are utterly black, while black nickle it silvery black :)

18. TehKrak3n

19. TehKrak3n

I was looking at these for the main fittings:
    http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop...or-38-ID---12-OD-Tubing--Black-pid-12169.html
    They say they are black - though they dont look as black as the bitspower ones from the picture

The only sli connector that I can find on specialtech that is black are:
    http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.php?productid=9825
    These are described as nickel black but dont look too different from the ek 'black'

20. Big Elf

As long as you have a single slot setup that d-plug will be fine.

Until recently I've never had a drain plug on my systems as I found it easy to detach the tube res from the clips, drain it then remove a tube and blow though to drain the rest. Nothing wrong with one of those drains though if you prefer it. My latest build will be too heavy to move so I'll probably have to use a drain but will probably plumb a ball valve into the bottom of the loop.