1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i5 2400 cooling issues! whislt f@h

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by fata1_666, 12 Aug 2011.

1. fata1_666

fata1_666 ...

so a week ago i ditched my long time love of amd after awaiting bulldozer for ages and grabed a cheap intel non b3 board and a i5 2400 works a dream so fast now compared to before but when folding with the -smp tag the processor is heating up to much for my liking 76 degrees within seconds of folding and climbing ive got an intake fan point at processor and re applied stock cooler thermal paste with a/c mx2. looking at maybe a new cooler but didnt want to spend out too much any advise?

whats the thermal limits i read 72.6 degrees???

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Tj Max is 99, but I wouldn't go higher than what you're already at (very high for such cool running chips). Maybe try MX-4 or something else instead of MX-2. And get a cheap aftermarket cooler if all else fails.

3. fata1_666

fata1_666 ...

yeah ive been looking at the Be Quiet Dark Rock Advanced C1 it looks huge would it cool my new folding rig down a bit? ive got it all house in an A open large tower case could ventaltion be an issue does seem warm at higher end of tower

4. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

How many and what sort of fans do you have?

Apart from that, yeah that cooler is pretty big and will help your temps quite a lot.

5. fata1_666

fata1_666 ...

Problem solved!

arctic cooling freezer 7 pro rev 2 from ebay £14.00. this has taken temps down to 56 when under full load 33 when idle. really great performance from a heatsink that surely has some age on it. very quiet! bit of a tight fit tho with the mounting holes.

6. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

I don't know if you had the same Stock cooler inbox as I, but ..... I didnt even look at it ^^

7. standinwave

standinwave Folding in memory of my mum

I must have half a dozen of these useless things! Can they be recycled or just land-fill?