1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Removing Raid 0 on Windows 7 PC

Discussion in 'Software' started by peter clement, 19 Aug 2011.

1. peter clement

peter clement What's a Dremel?

I have a Dell9200 PC that was originally Vista now running Windows 7. It has 2 500 HDD's in raid 0 as well has a 1TB storage drive.

I am starting to get a few HDD error messages and am concerned that if one fails I LOSE THE LOT.

Ok so what I'm asking is it possible to remove the raid 0 and transfer all the information to a single HDD for storage purposes and then use the other HDD for boot purposes/bit of both.

Or something like that if you guys can understand what I mean!

Thanks in advance everyone!!

2. Pughy

Pughy Fancy a game of Starcraft?

Hey! Could some guys please try and answer/give advice. He's a good friend and I told him to post here cause you guys know your stuff!

3. sb1991

sb1991 What's a Dremel?

You'll need to format the drives and start again, since with RAID0 the data is spread across both drives. Back up the array onto the storage drive or an external drive (best bet is probably just to copy the data across and reinstall the OS/applications later, but making a disk image might work). Then unplug the SATA cable from the data drive (I don't trust myself not to format all the drives by accident) then when you boot up there should be an option to configure the RAID. Delete the array then reinstall windows on your drive of choice, then you can copy some of the data back to one/both of the drives.

As far as I know, there isn't a simple way to go from RAID0 to a standard configuration without losing the data from the array, so the backing up bit is needed.

I think this should give more detailed instructions for deleting the array

Pughy likes this.
  4. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

^ What he said.

You'll need another drive to backup the data onto - as to remove RAID-0, you'll need to wipe both drives. Backup all the data you need to onto the 1tb drive you have.

Pughy likes this.
  5. Pughy

Pughy Fancy a game of Starcraft?

Thanks for the replies guys!! Repped!

6. peter clement

peter clement What's a Dremel?

Thanks

Thanks for the response guys, it's what I thought. I'll have a scout around about "ghosting" but I don't hold out much hope :(

7. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

Opps ! Use a RAID implementation across three drives that uses redundancy ?

dunx

8. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

I suspect if the drive(s) is/are failing you might encounter problems imaging it, or with data integrity if it succeeds...

9. Joshua_Brighton

Joshua_Brighton What's a Dremel?

Acronis

Acronis true image should do the trick to copy the RAID 'drive' to the 1TB.