1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Razer announces 17in Blade gaming laptop

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 26 Aug 2011.

1. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

LOL. I know. +1

People are idiots.

I use my Sony vaio for gaming every single day - between meetings at work, commuting, or as a spare PC for a LAN party when I have mates round. Sure, It's not going to run BF3 on max, but it plays everything I play pretty damn well.....DoW2, BF2, Civ V, Titan Quest, Left 4 Dead, Torchlight etc.....and in 1920 x 1080 too...but then, as the other guy says, laptops aren't for gaming....so I must be imagining the dozens of hours I've racked up since I bought it a couple of months ago!

...and guess what, Apple sells ridiculously overpriced (and, in my opinion, far more ugly) laptops to thousands of users every single day - and they can't even play games ON the damn things! (LOL) So there is a market out there. Just because one person doesn't want to drop two grand on it doesn't mean there isn't someone else that won't. I wouldn't spend £3K on a bloody watch, but I know plenty of people that do - and all they can do is tell the time with it ;)

2. Hazchem

Hazchem Minimodder

Excellent point! I do think the HDD is a bit stingy though.

3. Alec**

Alec** What's a Dremel?

Looks insanely cool :D love the trackpad / screen and the 'macro' keys... still don't think it can quite justify the price though :/

4. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

I don't think razer are aiming this product at people who prefer a gaming pc. People will only get one if they want to play games on the move, hence will see the reason behind the price.

5. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Let's just hope they don't wanna play D3 whilst they're on the move :p

6. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

Or wealthy students!

7. GiantKiwi

GiantKiwi What's a Dremel?

ugh they better make a left handed model, otherwise it will be crap positioning.

8. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

I put the long version of my thoughts on this in the gaming section but basically I believe it's an excellent design (unless you're a lefty) but underspecced and overpriced.

Would I still buy one if I had the dosh? Too bloody right I would! That is one seriously sexy bit of kit!

Wrong in so many ways but right in the one that counts - people will want one (I certainly do!)

M7ck likes this.
  9. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

You know, I had convinced my self that Laptops where pretty much obsolete and I was going to get a tablet next.. Way to go Razer.

10. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

Great inovation... nice going Razer

11. digitaldave

digitaldave What's a Dremel?

so the little one they wherepushing 6 months ago was just vaporwear ?

also the chinese guy in the promo vids needs to stop trying too hard to make it wound like a apple designer talking and get his own personality.

12. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

I'd sell it of course, why would I use it when I've got a decent rig?

More than a gaming laptop? No, that's exactly what it is and it doesn't do it very well by my standards. iPhone has been out for 4 years by the way, a year ago I was using my iPhone 4 to call people...

And XXAOSICXX, I could say you are an idiot because you have a gaming laptop and you think the Razor Blade (what a bad name) is better looking than a Macbook but I won't because even you are entitled to your horrible, horrible opinion

13. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

That's the problem, it is just a gaming laptop. Albiet a gaming laptop with a cool touchpad, but a gaming laptop nonetheless. Unless you have an overriding need for portability a desktop will still be superior, and unless you have an overriding need for that touchscreen it'll be hard to get people to part with $2,800 for something which is otherwise not exactly unique. I'd use one if I got it for free (well, I'd actually sell it but for simplicity's sake...), but this isn't free. It's actually quite a lot of money and price is a very important factor in the overall impressivenes of a product.

Asus and Logitech have actually already been testing the waters in the keyboard/screen market for awhile now. Logitech have long had keyboards with screens to display system or game information and customizable "G" keys. Turn that screen into a touchscreen and bam, there's your Blade keyboard. Asus have gone a little farther and actually delved into that "new form factor". They've made a keyboard with a touchscreen on the side which is actually an independent system. The built in screen is the primary monitor when run standalone, the second screen is then used in a trackpad manner. Unsurprisingly, the EEE Keyboard hasn't done too well.

14. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide What's a Dremel?

Whenever i see the price of a gaming laptop i can't help but think about the incredible desktop beast i could build instead with that kind of money.

15. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Soviet_ I've taken dumps that look better than a mac book pro.

It's ok though, with your mbp and your iPhone4, you've probably no idea how to eat, sleep or think without Steve Jobs there to tell you how to do it, and you're all confused about what direction to take in your life without him to idolise. I suggest seppuku.

16. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Joke's on you, Jobs quit!

Oh man, I figured I'd have to wait awhile before finding a situation to say something like that. Looks like it got to be used day after!

17. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Er...yeah, I know, that's why I said:

"you're all confused about what direction to take in your life without him to idolise"

Tard.

18. alf-

alf- Minimodder

maybe its just me, but this blade looks more or less like a black MBP, apart from the keyboard obviously..

as for the blade, it doesn't strike me as all that innovative, its got macro keys and a touchscreen track-pad, which will kinda of cool, doesn't exactly make a whole lot of difference, but at least they didn't make it into a garish looking monstrosity like alienware.

19. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

But people do play games on apple laptops... I don't get your point?

This razer blade... you know what it really really looks like? An apple MBP painted black with blue backlights instead of white and that funky touchpad / screen / macro thing on the right instead of the glass trackpad on the bottom.

I like it. Very apple (if they toned it down a bit and made their mind up about what they wanted that right section to be about)

http://bit.ly/ns9tT0 vs http://bit.ly/mZa5aL

and

http://bit.ly/qq0nHg vs http://bit.ly/nN65gC

20. Anneon

Anneon What's a Dremel?

hmm...overpriced gimmick methinks.

all that hassle for a fancy touch pad.

Tags: Add Tags