1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Razer announces 17in Blade gaming laptop

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 26 Aug 2011.

1. zpikez

zpikez mod-pirate

To be honest i think this is a laptop to put desktops to bed, it's the way tech is going whether we all like it or not (i don't particularly) I've got a tower with an overclocked i3 and nvidia 470 and an old school dell xps gaming laptop. i'd be happy to replace both with something that looks as well built and high spec as this. maybe some kind of docking system for joining with a monitor, keyboard and mouse without cables trailing all over would make this perfect.

2. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

Crappy imo. I don't get people who buy laptops for gaming, unless you are always travelling or something, it's a total waste of money. As nice as it's features are, at the end of the day, the only thing that matters is the CPU and graphics card, and both of those are **** in this.

3. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

The only thing that matters to YOU is the cpu and graphics card....that doesn't necessarily apply to everyone else. What if portability or design are more important to somebody? (which is not unusual if the person is looking for a mobile gaming platform).

4. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

Don't forget RAM and HDD speed. And PSU power...

Its one hell of a piece of kit, but it's claim that it means PC gaming isn't dead annoys me. When I speak to my console playing friends, they say they like PC gaming, but the hardware is too expensive.

Last edited: 1 Sep 2011
  5. rogerrabbits

It's not that it matters to me, it's that it's essential for gaming. This isn't about portability and design, it's advertised as a GAMING laptop. If you want portability and design and don't care about the gaming, buy an iPad.

6. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

I think you're under-estimating the capabilities of that spec, to be honest.

My Sony Vaio (which is not a "gaming" laptop, it's business/media laptop) cost a grand and plays all my games just fine. As I said previously, BF3 ain't going to run on full-everything, but it will run - and it'll be perfectly playable. It's not a replacement for my desktop gaming PC, it's in addition to it.

When you say "essential" for gaming you seem to be suggesting that a 2.8GHz i7, 8GB of RAM and a GT 555M GPU won't play ANY modern games on ANY settings? It's just not the case.

I've been happily playing DoW2, MoH, BF2, Titan Quest, Civ V, Left4Dead 1/2, Torchlight, CoD4 and even Crysis on my laptop on medium to max settings at 1920x1080 and it has been amazing (and that's got an ATI 5850 in - not nearly as fast as a GT555M).

....and as for the specs being "crap", they may be crap in your opinion - that's fine - but in my opinion they do the job very well indeed - and if it means I can play my favourite games between my least favourite meetings every day I'd be more than happy with it.

M7ck likes this.
  7. slothy89

slothy89 MicroModder

Being a "Gaming Laptop" does not imply "@ Max Settings" as XXAOSICXX mentioned.

All this simply means is it's a high performance (relatively) laptop that is targeted at gamers. I doubt I'd see my Accountant carrying one of these to his meetings for example.

Yes it is possible to build a stronger Desktop for the money, but can you take it on the train to a mates place? Can you take it to a LAN on your bike?

The extra cost come down to the added portability, the compact form factor and the simple fact that it's all prebuilt ready to go out of the box.

This laptop (more appropriately Portable Desktop :p ) mostly justifies its price. I'd agree the GFX could be upped a little... 560ti M or 570M anyone? But that CPU is the fastest Portable CPU available, and 8GB of RAM is plenty.. pretty sure Crysis, CoD, BF and the rest use less than 3GB of RAM... (most aren't 64-bit so cant use more than about 1.7GB) the 1333MHz could go to 1600, but meh..

If I could afford such a thing, I would put it as a definite candidate.

Yes my 8" eeePC with 900MHz CPU can't game, but my Fiancee's 15" Dell Studio sure can. Again not a "Gaming" laptop.

8. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Pretty cool but I have better stuff to drop 3 grand on

9. Zorndar

Zorndar What's a Dremel?

Pretty cool innovation, if I could afford one I would give it a try. I never thought of a Laptop as an gaming platform in the first place. It is a simple handy computer which can also be used to play games, surely not at max settings but for that I have my home rig. Nevertheless a 560ti would suit it better and perhaps they reduce the price tag. A 15" edition would be quite nice but then they will run into problems with the space needed for the keyboard and touchscreen.

The problem is that there are better laptop´s out there for less money, smaller ones with better performance but, and thats the main issue, with no touchscreen. Perhaps the other companies catch up and the price will drop.

Last edited: 29 Aug 2011
  10. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

owning a motorola atrix and lapdoc I cant believe moto passed up on this concept... idiots

11. Raijin

Raijin What's a Dremel?

Gaming and laptops definitely do not go together, every MMO I ever played on my laptop almost caused the CPU to melt, laptops don't have the cooling power to keep the CPU from overheating when playing massive online games. At least mine didn't, CPU was almost a puddle of metal once my computer finally completely crashed.

12. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

I'm writing this on a macbook pro, and from what I see some of the chasis looks really similar.

13. rogerrabbits

That's not saying much, a bunch of old games, some really old. I think we just have different standards when it comes to computers. I'm sure this one will do fine and run most stuff at 'ok' settings, especially seeing as most stuff that most people plays these days are console ports anyway.

But when I look at games on the horizon that I'm interested in, stuff like X: Rebirth, BF3, and Arma 3 etc.. I doubt it will do too well with those games, and for 3 grand, I would be wanting far more. For 3 grand I could make myself a top end gaming desktop pc and still have money left over to buy a mid range laptop that would play all these games at medium settings.

14. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

if they did 13/15/17 inch versions with that design but WITHOUT the gimic touch pad business but a traditional laptop design I'd be interested depending on how much razer tax they tack on. O, and minus the large glowing power button, more subdued design like Asus ROG G73 series is far more apealing to me though I've a feeling I'm in the minority else they wouldn't make garish laptops.

15. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

I wouldn't call Medal of Honor, Civilization V, DoW2, Torchlight etc "old games" personally - and even if they were, if those are the games I'm playing...surely that's all that matters? Maybe we do have different standards of what we expect from a gaming PC. I expect my desktop machine to run most games on max settings. I expect a mobile gaming device to run most games on medium settings. Given that the fun is in the playing, not actually in the graphics, I don't see that as a problem myself.

16. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Erm... badly designed much?

Yeah it looks amazing, but why put the fancy touchscreen stuff on the right? You want it on the left, surely, as you use the mouse with your right hand and keyboard with the left in game such as those pictured. Also, it's woefully underpowered for that price.

If they do a standalone touchscreen for real gaming PCs i'll be interested.

17. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

Actually, I'm quite worried that the touchscreen could be easily accidently brushed, and do something you don't want.

18. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it :p

19. Woollster00

Woollster00 What's a Dremel?

That price would make sense if it had a decent gpu but it doesn't it has a **** gt555m at that price point i would expect a gtx 580m at least!

20. felipemorse

felipemorse xD

For me this is a black 17" Macbook Pro (which is 2.500,00 USD and with lower specs). I guess this could be quite successful.

Tags: Add Tags