1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Gymkhana Mod / COMPLETED!!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Moddingboy, 5 Aug 2011.

1. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

I lol´d:D

@nutman, go youtube Gymkhana:) And that video is a phony! IIRC Ken drives left side steering :p

2. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Ok, I missed that video - but not anymore!
    Some sick driving going on there - what is that? A Ford Focus? Could also be a slightly modified Ford Fiesta. ;)

Oh, and who needs a straight six, a V8, V10 or even a V12, when a straight four can sound as BADASS as that????

3. ficklampa

ficklampa What's a Dremel?

It's a Fiesta... And they manage to get 850 bhp (though they use only 650 bhp) out of that 2.0 liter engine. According to http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/21/ken-blocks-gymkhana-fiesta-revealed/

4. Nutman

5. ficklampa

6. Nutman

I wouldn't know about the difference in torque between a straight 4 and a V6, but that V6 was even a 1.5 litres (not 1.5, as I stated before), and they "only" pulled 1054 BHP from it - my bad! ;)

Still, it's pretty impressive, when we consider it was back in the early 80s.

Also, I would think that the straight 4 found in Ken Block's Fiesta is by now closer to a F1 engine than the normal street-version Fiesta. ;)

7. ficklampa

Hehe yeah, probably just the engine block that's stock and the rest is awesome gizmos and gadgets to get the magic on.

Still it's pretty impressive to get 850 bhp out of the little Fiesta :) Who wouldn't want to have that and smoke them beemers, porsches at the red light?

8. Moddingboy

Moddingboy What's a Dremel?

rayson - Its not learned in school it's learned by experience. :D Schools don't teach things like this.
    O_Pucaro - Thanks!! :clap:

Hey guys! I see the topic is slowly turns to auto-related. Be careful :hehe:
    Soon I'll write an update just need to get thigs and stuff to continue the work.. :rolleyes:

9. rayson

rayson Damn sure it was legal

yeah, school was ****. they couldn't get those things on. i told my sir to install bootcamp on his mac and get windows installed so he could use windows programs on his school provided mac. he tried explaing to me that the intel core 2 duo on his mac was risc and wouldn't run it natively. i didn't bother telling him he was wrong, he still tought his pentium lappy was faster for windows. dumb IT guys

Last edited: 27 Aug 2011
  10. McDuff32

McDuff32 Minimodder

Wow this should look stunning when finished :)

Keep up the good work!

11. -Jv-

-Jv- What's a Dremel?

Yeah, and they pulled it down to 650 just to get some more torque :D

12. Moddingboy

McDuff32 - I hope so! :D Thanks! ;)

13. Moddingboy

-WORKFLOW-

Day 23: 2011-08-23 / Task: Ken Block's number 43 logo painting
    Some of you may miss something from the front grille of the case. Hmm it's could be a... a logo? Yup! Ken Block's 43 numbered skill logo. :naughty:
    The logo was designed and then cutted fron 3mm clear plexiglas (or acryl - dunno). The logo's dark parts are engraved with the same laser what cuts out the logo outline. The engraving is 1mm deep. It made with a powerful laser as fast as you can't see it and the camera neither. It's just smokin and disappearing.

As I get the skull I started to paint it. First was to layer of gloss-white and the embossed parts are black and orange (s in the original logo).
    It was hard as hell to paint because the logo's dimensions.. 4×4cm (19/12" × 19/12" inch). The details are very small too.. so I lose my patience and ask my gf for help me relax (not as you think :hehe:). Because she is a real women she can polish her nails. This skill is what I need. I give the logo to her and letsgo.

Sadly as hard as we try to not to do as many black paint goes to the white parts. It was hard to fix the problem because as many black disappears as many white paint comes down while sanding the problems off. :( Thanks to this mistake I wasn"t very happy with the result.
    It's not bad but it's not my expectation coz I try to do it perfectly. Perfectly in details. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I decided to remake the whole logo but this time from white (milk) plexiglas. It will be easier coz the white color means no need to paint it all white.
    All I need to do with the new logo is to paint the black embossed details now with masking vinyl. What I need to do is wait for the post delivery with the package contains all this stuff. I can show you photos because I ask 'enormous' /who showed himself som comments ago/ to shoot some photos in the making process.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the same time I planned the lighting of the sidepanel Monster logo cutout. I bought white and green SMD LEDs today and accesories for them (resistors..).
    I used transparent film layer to mark the LED spots for the lighting. "We've got the coordinates ready to go".
    It's time to design the PCB. I have another helpful friend who is professional at soldering. He is a mechanic and got very small tools to do very small electrical things. I don't have the tools and the skill for that so I asked him kindly to help me. We will met and chat the details of the lighting next week. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. nagyizom

nagyizom Minimodder

Very nice details, this skull-head logo is awesome!

15. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

sweet theme, and I just watched Block's new video too...

I competed in Gyhmkhana for 4 years with my 1986 GLI

16. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

The first logo looks great, im sure the refined version will the knees of the bees!

I like your dedication to this build by modding your girlfriend as well with the Monster nails!

17. LeandroJVarini

LeandroJVarini Mod is my life!

amazing work!
    congratulations

18. Jettblack

Jettblack What's a Dremel?

loven it

19. onominous

onominous Master of the Universe!

Looking great so far!

20. Moddingboy

WOW! Over 10.000 views! :clap: Thanks all the comments and thoughts! :thumb:

mnpctech - Thanks Bill! Your comment is very special to me because you are my idol! ;)

*Little update - I ordered some sweeet white fans for the white interior (120mm to the front and 92mm to the back) :)
    [​IMG]