1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA: Games won't be Origin exclusive

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 30 Aug 2011.

1. dactone

dactone dact-one

me two, i just cant be arsed to have loads of clients running on my pc . i switched from console gaming awhile back ,and all this drm bullcrap and everything else that comes with it is sending me back..

2. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

Mojang didn't say "Steam isn't useful", they said "Using Steam limits a lot of what we’re allowed to do with the game".

I don't get how you got the former from the latter, maybe you just saw what you wanted to see or something?

3. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

I think in light of the whole BF3 / Crysis 2 scenario, Valve will become a lot more open to what they'll let developers do on the platform. The bottom line is though that Steam came in at a time where online distribution was still very new, and filled a massive hole in the community which until then hadn't been filled (at least not by anything which worked).

The way I see it personally, is for Origin to work it has to offer something that steam doesn't.
    Which is definitely not web browser orientated server browsing. This is just one massive leap in the wrong direction, and I pray it's scrapped before BF3 goes gold.

EA have a nasty habit of taking on very talented people, throwing a large sum of money at them to give them a nice incentive and then slowly ruin and manipulate any given franchise as they see fit. Put simply, I don't want your **** on my computer, thanks.

4. logonui

logonui Minimodder

Mojang wouldn't be gaining anything by putting the game on steam other than advertising (which isn't really an issue at the moment). Notch has stated that he uses steam himself, it just doesn't give the advantages to minecraft that other games benefit from.

5. Jimbob

Jimbob Minimodder

Why? Just shooting yourself in the foot IMO

6. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

If competition is good maybe Valve should sell their games on D2D etc...

7. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

First off, no one is saying that EA doesn't have the right to make a digital distribution service and sell or link their games exclusively or otherwise to it. More power to EA! But by the same standard, we (royal "we") are equally entitled to tell EA they can insert their service up their backsides and twist it savagely counter-clockwise.

Second, EA is perfectly entitled to take the money from customers for games that are linked to a player's Origin accounts and then when, the Origin service isn't as profitable or as satisfying to the executive bonus cheque or stock options, discontinue the Origin service without notice in accordance with the EULA and leaving account holders with nothing more than a shameful memory, a bad taste and something to wipe off with a tissue. But, once again we are entitled to be extremely pissed off (legitimately), scream loudly (but impotently) and tell EA to insert their bonuses into a hollowed out pineapple and utilise it as a suppository.

Lastly, you or anyone else is entitled to use (and if they are a submissive sadomasochist, desire) Origin to their heart's content, just as we are entitled to mock and humiliate said sheeple mercilessly if it all blows up in their faces.
    I will also be standing by with tissues to wipe it off with. I'm not all heartless b*stard.

dark_avenger likes this.
  8. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

While I lol'd at this very well written post I shall also be lolling my arse off in two months time while playing BF3.

I may be designated "sheeple" but I'll be one happy ram

9. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

Sigh...fine, if you must then I'll have images of Picard facepalming ready and boxes of tissues on standby.
    Also, in the interest of Bit-tech community harmony I will resist future use of the "I told you so" macro button on my backlit G-costtoomuch keyboard.

10. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

The reasons given for both were different, though. EA's was about "customer interaction" and controls of patches and DLC. Mojang's reasons were, more or less, that they wanted to be the sole distributor of Minecraft. That isn't a new idea, it's even stated on minecraft.net that Notch wants to keep things from one source only.

The main thing is that Mojang isn't just declining to use Steam, they're declining to use anything but their own website for the same reasons. It just happens to be that declining to use Steam is newsworthy so that's all you hear about, though you could just as easily write an article about Mojang not using Direct2Drive if you didn't care about readership.

11. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I don't understand all the hate toward Origin. They are competition to Steam which is good for all consumers having one digital distribution channels creates a stagnant market where Steam can decide prices, but with Origin, they are kept in check

12. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Can't speak for everyone, but my own complaints are that it's not competition for Steam. Steam is a relatively open digital distribution service which sells not only Valve games, but also games from any other publisher willing to use it. Origin is strictly EA games with no mention of ever expanding.

Steam already has competition, and yes, EA even sells games through such providers. Direct2Drive, Gamer's Gate, Good Old Games, and various other download services run by retail stores. These are competition for Steam, they are true digital distributors which are willing to sell games from any developer or publisher within the bounds of their Terms of Service. If you want to provide competition to Steam then buy from these services, not a closed system like Origin.

13. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

Such nonsense, did you even read the article?

D2D etc don't sell any Valve games, what now? Valve have no competition when it comes to selling their own games digitally, yet no one cares.

It's funny when people cry when EA are following the same line as Valve, except they are more open by allowing their games to be bought on many services, not just their own.

Last edited: 31 Aug 2011
  14. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Steam carries games from other publishers, Origin doesnt.
    BF3 is not sold in Steam, Origin is no competition.
    You can buy Valve games from other places, not only Steam.

15. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

as the inquirer.net once said. Piracy, the better choice.

In no way will i let EA snoop on my Pc, see what im running and whats connected. There quick to bemoan folks for pirating games but when we get DRM, Snooping programs and a load of crapware just to play a game weve payed to play. Someones getting stiffed and its not EA.

They need to stop thinking like dicks, and treat there customers with some respect.

16. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I was refering to comments like this one:

I wasn't trying to defend Origin as a good piece of software (it isn't), just arguing against the point that EA somehow shouldn't be allowed to develop Origin and aim to make money just becasue Steam is percieved as better.

17. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I thought the point of the article was that Origin would stock other publishers' games?

Unless they use Steamworks of course, in which case you have to install Steam whether you like it or not.

18. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Sooo then what is the point of this software again?

People, Origin is nowhere near what I would consider competition to Steam.

19. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

Please show me where I can buy a digital copy of Portal 2 or any other Valve game outside Steam.

I'm talking about a proper digital copy, not a site that sends you a key from a retail box.

Valve force you to buy from Steam if you want a digital copy of their game, even EA don't do that, they give you a choice where to buy it.

20. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

Valve must be the greediest of them all then since the only place to buy a digital copy of their games is on Steam, they don't even offer their games to D2D etc, now that's greed :thumb:

Tags: Add Tags