1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Advice on FT03 Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HoodRat, 17 Jun 2011.

1. HoodRat

HoodRat What's a Dremel?

Hi All,
    I last build my current gaming rig in 2007 with a Q6600, and although its running fine, I think it might be time to cash in on it and build another.
    I have been looking at building a mATX pc for some time as I don't really need a big case or ATX board. I currently only have a 120GB SSD (OCZ Vertex 3) and as all my data is stored on a NAS have no need for much local storage.
    The mATX case reviews in this months Custom PC solidified my choice of case.
    I have the following in my sights so just wanted to run it past the expert to see is it all seems ok:

Inter i7 2600K
    Asus Maximus Formula IV Gene-z
    Silverstone FT03B
    750W Strider PSU (modular)
    8GB Corsair Vengence PC3-14900
    Corsair H70 Cooler

I will be reusing the SSD and my 560Ti.

I was just after some advise on if the above looks ok.
    Also any advise on the Case/CPU/Cooler combination is much appreciated.

2. hirezo

hirezo Minimodder

No replies??? wtf? come on people the guy needs help :)

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Fine here. Although do you need the 2600K vs 2500K?

How much is the Strider vs competition? I've no idea about it - I'm sure others might though.

Gene-Z should be in stores very soon, if not already since it's already been shipped.

You probably don't need 14900 memory, 12800 should do, unless there's a particularly special offer on.

4. HoodRat

HoodRat What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the reply guys.
    2600k vs 2500k is one I have been scratching my head about for a while. I just thought that as I'm spending the money now that I should go for the best available at the moment rather than regret if further down the line. I should probably add that the PC will be used for gaming (preparing for BattleField 3) 90% of the time, with the other 10% spend encoding movies/TV shows for use on my iphone (I watch a lot of content on the train commuting to/from work). Will I get much benefit from the 2600k for this?

The Strider (£130) was the recommended PSU for the case so its made to fit. I am happy to look at other options although with the smalled cable kit available I thought it would be perfect for the ft-03. Also might go SLI in the future if I can pick up another 560ti for cheap. Hence 750W to keep my options open.
    (I have just seen a 650W modular Corsair on Scan for £88. The dimensions are even smaller but is 80 Plus Bronze. I don't really understand the difference between gold and bronze, but do you think this might fit my needs?)

I have been looking up the Gene-z every day for the last month but its still not available here. Big fan of the RoG boards since the Rampage Formula has served me so well over the last few years. Saying that, I have only ever used Asus boards for my builds so am very reluctant to change. Call me an Asus fanboy! :)

Thanks for the tip on memory. I think maybe I will wait for the QVL on the Asus website to be updated before I make the purchase. I have been burnt before with inadequate RAM.

5. Iskra

Iskra What's a Dremel?

I'm considering a similar build myself.

If you do buy the strider, don't forget to buy the short cables from silverstone, they'll come in handy.
    From what I've been reading around, the H60 will serve you better: same temps lower noise.

Ido agree with Bindi tho, go with the 2500k unless real need for the upper model and stick with the 12800 ram modules. Save some money and the diference in most cases won't be noticed.:thumb:

6. HoodRat

HoodRat What's a Dremel?

Thanks for your input guys!

7. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

750W PSU is overkill - I'm running a GTX 580 off a 650W, so you can save cash there. I wouldn't plan on SLI in the FT03 anyway (it's possible, but cooling takes a hit as you move from a 120mm fan to a pair of 80mm) - if anything you plan for a better single card solution. Modular is definitely the way forward, but there's space to tuck cables to the left of the PSU if you don't get a fully modular one.

The Maximus IV Gene is a great board, had mine for about a week. The only issue I've run in to is that my memory doesn't seem to be fully supported, so I have some new stuff arriving tomorrow. By luck, it's the 2x5GB Vengeance kit you've selected, but 1600Mhz 1.5v. The QVL is on Asus UK's website.

i7 2600K is a waste of cash for gaming, drop it down to the i5 2500K. Hyperthreading seriously won't do anything for you.

I'm using the excellent Thermaltake Frio in my FT03, very happy with it. I've swapped all my fans for Asaka Apaches (both case and Frio). A H70 will probably fit, but I don't think you'll get much benefit in terms of noise or temps as they need relatively high airflow.

With the money saved on the PSU, CPU and cooler you may be able to swap your 560Ti for a 570 or 580...

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

How did it turn out?

9. HoodRat

HoodRat What's a Dremel?

It hasn't yet. I keep filling up my basket on scan then asking myself if I really NEED to upgrade yet or not.
    I have now been tempted by the Arc Mini and getting another 560 for SLI but ebaying my current card and getting a 580 is an option too.
    Also don't know what to do with my current PC once I replace it. It's still a decent pc and I have spent a shed loads of money on it over the last few years. What do you guys usually do? (eBay?)
    I think I might just wait for battlefield 3 to come out and see how it plays on my current setup.

10. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I would heartily recommend the GTX 580 over a pair of 560Ti in SLI. The GTX 580 will take less power, put out less heat (which is quite important in the small mATX cases) and cost about the same. Further, SLI still has problems with micro stuttering, and although the scaling is getting near 100% a single card solution will work every time.

As for the current system you have, you can sell it on the Marketplace here (as a whole or part it out), or re-purpose it as a file server or HTPC.

11. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

12. HoodRat

HoodRat What's a Dremel?

Yeah been following it. Some nice builds on there! Thanks mate!