1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Bethesda: Why no Elder Scrolls MMO

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 1 Sep 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Bede

Bede Minimodder

You can't mod an mmo..

3. stewis

stewis What's a Dremel?

Can you really play card games like a MMO? or is this that the other Scrolls game?

4. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

I thought the answer to "Why isn't there an Elder Scrolls MMO?" would have been "Because we're not Activision". :p

5. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Thank God, that would destroy the Elder Scrolls Series.

6. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Actually not quite true, you can mod the DAT files which include clothing textures and most game textures in FFXI so that on your side you look completely different to how you will look to other people. It's nothing too special butyou can do it!

7. 92frabe

92frabe What's a Dremel?

Coop would be a dream come true.

8. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

amen to that, just keep it as the industry leading (imo) singleplayer open world RPG. why fix what aint broke.

9. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

"Not MMO guys" ?

Good....hate them.

10. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

While I play MMOs as much as single player RPGs I have nothing but respect for Bethesda here. Good on them for sticking to their guns and not jumping on the band wagon like everyone else.

11. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

The MMO part of the market is saturated with new titles, and the RPG market is not. So it is good to see them continuing on as usual rather than feeling they must make an MMO because everyone else is.

12. Apoptosis

Apoptosis What's a Dremel?

Oh, thank you thank you thank you. Finally someone who isn't willing to jump on the bandwagon. If nobody ever made another MMO I'd die a happy man.

13. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

Good for them. Personally, I would love to play fallout on coop, but that wont be happening for a while: http://www.moddb.com/mods/vault-tec-multiplayer-mod

I know these games are supposed to be single player only, but I cant resist the urge to go screaming, swearing and arguing my way through the wastelands with friends.

14. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

http://www.fallout-on-line.com/

Being done by Interplay (under licence from Bethesda) who made the first 2 games :D

15. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I have an MMO, I don't need another.

Stick to your guns, Bethesda.

16. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Being able to group up with a couple friends in an Elder Scrolls game would be pretty sweet, but in the broader view I'm glad they aren't making an MMO.

It'd have to be designed from the ground up with the massively multiplayer nature in mind, you'd have to start thinking about PvP and balancing spells to work in such an environment, you'd have to consider how certain quests effect the world environment, how to keep a server of 1,000+ players from looting everything they can get their hands on and leaving NPC houses and shops barren, how to deal with stables being packed with horses, and all sorts of other aspects.

With all of the changes that would be required you end up with a game which is entirely new and effectively has nothing to do with The Elder Scrolls other than the setting. No one wants that.

17. thil

thil What's a Dremel?

This is pretty big news, actually: a developer who recognises their strengths and sticks to them, even if it means losing out on some "monetisation" opportunities. Respect, Bethesda.

(Also, I am sick of the "multiplayer makes everything automatically better" idea...)

Fizzban likes this.
  18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Pre-ordered it yesterday along with saints row 3 for a nice £42 after coupons at tesco :D steam overprice for new releases so I'll rarely buy from them now other than sales or ok prices for new releases & I don't like paying up front for games that won't be released for many months ahead, DD should be cheaper than retail.

And good to hear they won't be going MMO, never even considered getting sucked into one :) buying a game & then paying an ongoing bill for it :eeek::nono:.

19. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

Yeah you can, that's what most emulator servers do.

20. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

This is the best thing that any developer has ever said.

That said though, I do miss what Never Winter Nights and other classic Bioware games did in terms of multiplayer. You could co-op, you could run persistent servers with over a hundred players, and the game let you do that (depending how you set up the server, the big persistent ones took a lot of work). Small scale MP in games like this can be brilliant.

Tags: Add Tags