1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Software Time Lapse Software

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by BlancAnarchy, 1 Sep 2011.

1. BlancAnarchy

BlancAnarchy What's a Dremel?

Hi, I'm looking at getting software for the computer to make time lapses with my Nikon d60 and to control it via pc. Anyone got any suggestions?

I know Nikon have got Camera Control Pro 2, but was wondering if there are any better ones, cheaper ones or even free ones.

2. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Are you on windows or a mac? For mac, there is a program called 'Sofortbild' that is free and allows you to control Nikon cameras.

But, I think the software where you are going to struggle with is the post processing.

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Does it need to be software and computer based? Wouldn't it just be easier to get something like this? or does the D60 have no remote release socket?

4. Jumeira_Johnny

IIRC, the D60 uses the IR remote.

5. BlancAnarchy

Soft

Its for PC. I have got a remote, but I want something that will set off the camera off periodically and automatically over long period of time.

As for post software, ill just wait till I get back to Uni in October and ill put it all together with PS and AF.
    + I will buy the post software at some point soon seeing as I can get it a lot cheaper as a student.

6. Jumeira_Johnny

We understand what it is you want to do, we were talking about the remote because Nikon has a cable remote that offers a time lapse function. It's pricey, but it's the best remote for what you want to do. But, you need the 10 pin accessory port at the front and the D60 doesn't offer it. A laptop and a DC power source for the camera are the best for this, IMO.

7. BlancAnarchy

Soft

?

8. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

JJ is saying that your best option is to connect the camera to a laptop, plug both the laptop and camera into the wall, and let the software on the laptop control the camera. The software will tell the camera to take a picture at whatever interval you desire.

Out of curiosity, what are you shooting and what is the duration of the shoot?

9. Jumeira_Johnny

That. Especially with lots of long exposures. I usually plug the camera into the laptop so that I don't need to change cards and let my software function as an interval timer. But I'm still stuck changing batteries after a while. It helps having a battery grip, multiple batteries and 3 chargers; I'm only changing the external battery while the internal can handle the in between shots. But with one battery slot, you'll be resetting the camera every time you need to change it.

If you are interested my timing of battery change goes like this: Click, lift latch, click, turn latch, click, pull battery tray out, click, slot battery in, click, push battery tray all the way in, click, turn latch. Annoying and you have to be very careful not to shift the camera, but I don't do it often enough to be able to justify a DC adapter.

Last edited: 2 Sep 2011
  10. BlancAnarchy

Soft

That is what I was intending on doing, however all I wanted to know was what software you would recommend for PC. Whether Nikon Camera Control Pro 2 is any good?

Last edited: 2 Sep 2011
  11. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

As for software, Premiere works well. Set the default still image length to 1 frame and drop your images in. Voila!