1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Cooler stops memory being installed

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by geoboy333, 3 Sep 2011.

1. geoboy333

geoboy333 Sometimes I say something bright...

Hi Guys

Yesterday I installed 4 extra gigs of ram. Unfortunately to do this I had to remove my Gelild Tranquillo as it stopped the DIMMS fitting. I am now running on the stock intel cooler and am unsatisfied by the performance its giving. Is there anyway I can get the cooler and RAM to fit or am I destined to compromise my temps for RAM capacity.

I also have a spare Actic Cooling Freezer 7 pro (rev. 2) if that would be the lesser of two evils.

any ideas?

2. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

You could point the cooler the other way with the fan pulling instead of pushing. If you don't mind voiding the warranty then you could remove the heatsinks on the ram. Or depending where you bought the ram and how long ago, you could swap it for another set.

3. geoboy333

not the worst idea I've ever heard except I'd have to reverse all the fans in my system and plus there are filters on certain places and not others (I have a fractal R3).

I'd rather not remove the heatsinks, No1 cause it would void the warranty (they're brand new) No2 cause they are pretty (G. Skill Ripjaw Rev 1s).

4. Sagman76

Sagman76 What's a Dremel?

I changed my arctic 2 for 212+ as I could only just get the two blue channel ram sticks In(touching the fan cage) so expect it will be worse. Not sure about your cooler but could you turn it round? not ideal I know as it can take air from the graphics card/s but I have seen a few do this due to same issue

5. geoboy333

I guess I'll have to...

6. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

i would exchange the RAM or change the cooler. a corsair H-series cooler would solve your clearance issues...

7. geoboy333

don't have the wonga, was hoping there would be a solution without having to forkout monies

8. Wicked_Sludge

looking at the fan hold-downs on that cooler....couldnt you flip the cooler around and then flip the fan around on the cooler? net result would be the fan pulling air through the sink and exhausting toward the rear of the case like normal but the fan would no longer block the RAM slots.

9. geoboy333

YOU ****ING GENIUS!!

Thank you

If you were in this room I'd kiss you!

Last edited: 3 Sep 2011
  10. Wicked_Sludge

failing that,

[​IMG]

geoboy333 likes this.
  11. geoboy333

I can't thankyou enough, after spending all morning fighting with the tranquillo (it's a bitch to install by yourself!) I have it on as suggested and temps are back down to a nice 29- 31c! + rep for that suggestion.

12. geoboy333

[​IMG]

This is what my computer current cooling is. All fans are fractal ones and are on a fan controller (apart from the CPU one).

Despite intially things being cool the processor has gone back up to 40-46c and GPU is similar (40 - 50). Seeing as I am doing all this stuff could anyone recommend alternate setups with my current number of fans that may fair better results?

Before I installed that RAM my CPU was at 29-33c and my GPU was 36-40c idle

WTF has happened?!

13. Wicked_Sludge

your increase in CPU temps could be explained by having reseated the cooler. your temps will be different just about every time you reinstall the cooler. but your higher GPU temps baffle me since this suggests higher case temps.

whats the weather like where you are? have the ambient temps gone up recently?

14. geoboy333

possibly, but that bottom one was always an exhaust until about a week ago when I realised it was the wrong way around and turned it to intake. Should I change it back? also should I use a side panel I/O instead?

15. Wicked_Sludge

i would think having the bottom as intake would work better, but try flipping it back and see what happens. i like having side panel intakes on my cases simply because it allows the use of larger (quieter) fans. but if you were getting decent temps without one before theres no reason you shouldnt be able to now.

16. geoboy333

as for the cpu, do you think I should reapply the TIM?

17. Wicked_Sludge

i would try flipping the fan back over first. since both the CPU and GPU are running hotter than before that would lead one to believe the case temps have increased.

whats the ambient temp in your room? are you still running 3.6ghz? have you checked any fan filters that are installed?

18. geoboy333

ambient temp is 24.2c, I'm running at stock speeds (says in the map) and yes, as I said I only recently turned the fans around and at that point cleaned all filters.

19. geoboy333

well I've found something! I discovered when I took the side panel off the GPU temp Plummetted. So I've removed the blanking plate for the side panel fan and left it empty. My GPU is now happily sitting at 37c idle which is ok by me. My CPU is still 39c however which is not ok in my books (considering little over a week ago it was 10c cooler).

I'm also going to try moving the bottom intake to the sidepanel as an intake in the hope the will put some more cool air on the GPU. If that makes no difference I will try moving the fan to the front of the roof as I discovered there was a considerable amount of heat just sitting between the CPU and the DVD drive. This leads me to believe that the increase in heat on my CPU could be being caused by the increase in heat produced by more RAM. I felt one earlier today and they are nice and tostie. Could this be the issue?

20. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

The problem is that CPU fan/ heatsink are not designed to work in that arrangement- the fan must be blowing air through the fins, it will be much less effective having it at the rear trying to suck air through the cooler ( hence why there is always a fan blowing, or a fan blowing and another exhausting, never just a fan exhausting with the majority of CPU heatsink designs ).

How much clearance do you need for the fan to clear the RAM, can you not rotate the heatink so that fan is blowing through it and the warm air exhausts out the 2 big vents in the roof ( you can add extra fans there to help remove the warm air too )?