1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC Sound Card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BennieboyUK, 3 Sep 2011.

1. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

Hi Folks,

I have been able to free up a PCI-E slot in my HTPC, i have been considering adding a sound card to replace the on board. I use ONLY the Digital Output to an amp.

I know digital is digital, but do we think that a decent card would make any difference. As I said I am only use the digital output so am sceptical.

Thoughts?

2. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

cant go wrong with an ASUS - the DX looks about right for your needs.

3. BennieboyUK

Yes, but will it improve the sounds quality?

4. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

should do - what kind of sound system are you connecting to?

theres a law of diminishing returns with soundcards - i have friends who spent 200+ quid on a sound card, because they have spent alot on their speakers/headphones. but if its just a regular 5.1 set then you dont need to go overboard on the card.

I actually downgraded from an Asus D1 to a DG and didnt notice any difference in sound quality.

5. BennieboyUK

Might see if I can blag a mate to let me borrow one, its connected to a Bose V35 system, purely for watching movies and TV, Sat etc.

6. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Likely would be a waste with spdif. Digital just sends data signal, and all of the work is done at the other end by your av units dac. The card would do close to nothing. Most soundcard still use the cpu for the digital clock, which is where quality comes from in a digital signal. If you got one with a dedicated clock on the card, you might notice a difference.
    Dosen't hurt to try it out if you can borrow a card for a few days, but if you are finding the sound underpar it's probably the bose unit that is to blame.

7. BennieboyUK

Yep agreed. I knew all that just wanted to double check, system sounds awesome just had a free pcie slot and I never like a free space!!! Digital is digital after all.

Thanks for feedback and comments.