1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Steam Support

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheRealShep, 6 Sep 2011.

1. TheRealShep

TheRealShep ssSSSsssssssSSSSSSSSSsss

I think this is in the right section...

I went on holiday about 3 weeks ago, in that time I asked my parents to keep an eye on my house (make sure everything is Ok, feed pet etc etc..) Anyway, I came home and found that my younger brother had gone onto my PC and actually purchased a game via Steam.

I took the adult route because he is only young and explained what he had done was wrong as he was using my login and card details and that it is against the rules so that bit is sorted.

However!

I contacted steam and informed them of the issue (someone gained access, bought game etc) but apparently, "A family member using your account can't count as being compromised and you are not entitled to either a refund or exchange"

I feel that this is a bit of a stupid thing to say, to me someone else accessing your account no matter who it is, if they don't have permission then it should be possible to reverse any activity that the person does.

Has anyone had an issue similar to this? If so, how did you resolve it?

2. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

How about actually contacting the card issuer and getting THEM to get the money back.

3. TheRealShep

Yeah I was going to do that but I wasn't sure if it would be accepted because Im sure Steam wouldn't allow that as they would obviously lose out (Im guessing if I got the money from Nationwide then Steam wouldn't get the game back and it would effectively be free.

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

how old is your younger brother? i'm sure there is some protection, based on wether the buyer is a minor.

on a second note, maybe next time you go away, before you go, untick the remember my password box. that would prevent unauthorised use.

Last edited: 6 Sep 2011
  5. TheRealShep

He is only 10 and should really know about wrong/right but I do know that he wouldn't understand how steam works ie. It's real money etc etc. Thats why I thought Support would have no real issue in sorting this out.

I agree Rich, I have since removed the option of remembering my password to prevent future problems and Im sure my brother won't be doing it again but better safe than sorry.

Last edited: 6 Sep 2011
  6. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

LOL, I can't see how he 'wouldn't know'. Did you really have your credit card details auto saved in steam???? Or did he take your card and enter the details himself?

7. TheRealShep

Well the reason he "wouldn't know" is because he doesn't use computers for the reasons we do and therefore doesn't have the knowledge of how things like this work.

Having my card details saved on my account has not proved a problem in the past 4/5 years so this is clearly an isolated incident.

8. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Is steam aren't prepared to refund than I would just suck up the loss. There have been a few threads on the boards were steam have locked a users account and you loose all your purchases. Asking the card issuer to reclaim the money will probably lead to a locked account.

9. TheRealShep

Well thankfully Steam have just contacted me to tell me that because my account has never had any association with activity that breaches their terms of use, they are willing to remove the download from my list and refund my payment.

It's a good result!

10. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

good result indeed , glad you got it sorted

11. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

thats good then, out of interest what was the game, lol

12. TheRealShep

The game was called Test Drive Unlimited 2. A bit of a boy-racer game in my opinion (I prefer rally games when it comes to racing). Just watched some trailers of it and I don't think I would have ever played it if I was to keep it.

13. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

yeah it is a sort of marmite game, you either love it or hate it, although, i do play it from time to time, it requires time to play

14. TheRealShep

Yeah, I know a couple of people who own it and they all say the same thing. It looks like it could do with a lot of work before I would enjoy it.

15. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Nice result!

16. JuMpErFLY

JuMpErFLY Minimodder

Well done! I'm impressed they gave the money back.

Reminds me of when I requested a refund because Steam allowed me to purchase the same game as a gift for the same person twice (said it failed the first time). When they refunded they said "Please note in the future that Steam purchases, per the Steam Subscriber Agreement, are not refundable.".

17. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

Seeing your avatar, I felt like fixing this quote.