1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Installation of Dark Rock Advanced

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iniquix, 6 Sep 2011.

1. iniquix

iniquix What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, just brought myself a Dark rock advanced cpu cooler, took it out the box and mouthed a few insanity's. How on earth do you mount this beast? Also is it meant to come with installation instructions? Searched the internet and can't seem to find anything.

My mobo is a P5Q-Pro

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

3. iniquix

iniquix What's a Dremel?

.... serious im dumb today :(

thankyou :)

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

No problem buddy :)

5. iniquix

iniquix What's a Dremel?

after all that, and reading up (pretty useless company) my box is missing the larger screws and smaller ones. Always the way, Does anyone know what these screws are called and if so are they possible to get from outside getting a new cpu cooler sent to me?

6. megadriveguy

megadriveguy Minimodder

so you didnt get any screws with it at all ?

No you'll have to send it back

7. iniquix

iniquix What's a Dremel?

sorry was meant to put *got the smaller ones. I did try using those to connect the back to the backing but unfortunatley they are way to small :(

8. megadriveguy

megadriveguy Minimodder

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

on 1155 4 small screws connect cooler to mounting brackets 4 bigger screws connect mounting bracket to board

if I remember right

775 uses same mount style I think

Last edited: 6 Sep 2011
  9. iniquix

iniquix What's a Dremel?

yup the larger ones are need to connect the mounting brackets and board however those are the ones I've lost. However I may have found some slightly smaller replaces from an old DVD drive, do you need the black rings under the brackets? if not I can mount the cpu cooler

10. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Yep. They serve two purposes...

1. Insulators to stop metallic objects possibly shorting anything out on the board.
    2. They prevent said metallic objects from cracking the pcb by spreading out the load pressure.

11. megadriveguy

megadriveguy Minimodder

yes but I think there just normal washers and you could use any that would fit

if the screws fit that is

so you lost them, well you could return it and say it was like that when I opened the box :naughty:

12. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Or just email Dark Rock and ask them for a screw fitting kit. Their customer service rep is ace and the likelyhood is they wouldn't charge for a bag of screws and washers with a couple of days postage.

Better than ripping off a retailer megadriveBADguy :)

13. megadriveguy

megadriveguy Minimodder

didn't think of that, it would normally be a nightmare to get a response from most companies for something like this

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

*BeQuiet...

15. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I knew what I meant Pete :D

...and who you telling to be quiet?

16. anotherusername

anotherusername What's a Dremel?

Also take a look at http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=213532, another thread on fitting this cooler. I've just found it quite useful - I just fitted one myself with help from that :)

I'll have to wait till tomorrow (or rather later today after sleep) before finishing putting everything together and turning it on for the first time, so will have to wait and see if I've done it all ok... The worst part of fitting the dark rock was the thermal paste, I'm not sure if I've put on enough or not enough! I tried spreading it out using a plastic bag as I've seen suggested but that didn't work (just was pushing around a lump of the stuff) so I settled for a small bit in the middle. Then fitted cooler, took it off again to see how it spread (only about 1/2) so put a bit more paste on and re-fitted. Not taken it off again, will just see what temps are like later.

17. iniquix

iniquix What's a Dremel?

Ok after a lot of running about I ended up nipping to a local shop and getting some if anyone's got the same issues the screws you need are M3's and about 14mm long. the main issue I've got after getting these screws now is screwing the actually cooler onto the motherboard. Should be interesting.

Oh and after a lot of website browsing for the above poster a lot of people recommend using a number 5 dice shape, 5 blobs.