1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Computer blue screens

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by SquattingDawg, 6 Sep 2011.

1. SquattingDawg

SquattingDawg What's a Dremel?

Hi, Im fairly new to computers, and last November I built my own computer for the first time. After I built it, everything worked amazing, I even tweaked with the overclock settings a little bit.

Anyway, Just this past month its been getting quite noticeably slower on start-up and would crash when I ran any of my games of Steam. So I ran my anti-virus, cleaned up old and unused files and defragged my HDD. I then uninstalled all my Steam games and uninstalled Steam intself and reinstalled it with a few of my favorite games. I've also reset my overclocks to default settings. Even after all that, my computer would Blue Screen after a minute or two of starting the game up.

So I do not know what would be the problem now. I feel I've done everything I could on the software end of things. I'm hoping someone can help me troubleshoot what the actual problem with my computer is.

Hardware:
    ASUS M4A89GTD 890GX
    AMD Phenom II 1055T
    Cooler Master V8
    ASUS ENGTX560 Ti Direct CU II
    CORSAIR 750W PSU
    G. SKILL Ripjaw 8GB (2GB X 4)
    Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
    Cooler Master HAF 932

2. Sexton

Sexton Minimodder

Can you make a note of the error code and message that displays on your BSOD and post it on here? It's usually fairly easy to trace what's causing a BSOD with a quick Google of the error codes... RAM, PSU or your sound drivers would be the most probable culprits though I imagine.

3. j.col

j.col Minimodder

also it may be worth downloading memtest and testing your ram

4. SquattingDawg

The only error message I could get in time when it blue screened was "SYSTEM_DAMAGE_PREVENTION" or something like that. I was bluescreen for about 6 seconds so not really too much time to write it all down. I will download memtest and run that though

5. SquattingDawg

So I got a little impatient and just pulled out the last two RAM sticks that I added in about 5 months ago and now my comp is stable as ever! No crashes or slowed performance. So obviously a RAM problem. Now hopefully warranty still covers them and I'll send for new ones. Thanks for all the advice!

6. Sexton

Sexton Minimodder

Glad to hear you seem to have it sorted. In regards to what you said here though, you can turn off automatic restart somewhere in the options so you will have enough time to write down all the info (right click Computer, go Startup and Recovery settings, then untick 'Automatically restart') :)