1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Call of Duty: Elite premium content revealed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 7 Sep 2011.

1. enciem

enciem Minimodder

There's a lot of Pippy McRant-a-lot's on here considering these are all optional extras. I quite like the game and I'm a mug so I buy DLC, but I know I don't actually have to. Sometimes I regret it and other times I don't.

It's all very well complaining about these companies but as long as people buy it, they'll keep selling it.

2. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

3. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

The bc2 dlc/vietnam was £10 and played like a different game entirely but used the same graphics engine, I can't help but think if Activision released it, it would have had a £39.99 minimum price tag. I own mw 1 & 2 so and I have brought some of the dlc packs, but I won't be buying them again because they are just so poor value for money.

4. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Just to be mr picky
    486 came out in 1989 - 1990 you must have been very young when you started

5. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

If we are being picky then you missed a . at the end of your sentence.

:naughty:

6. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

from here

Pretty major turnaround.

Last edited: 8 Sep 2011
  7. longweight

What the Hell is damien c talking about? Sounds like he is pissed that other people are better at online gaming than he is.

:D

8. Trefarm

Trefarm No matter what... It's all good

Hi Damien, the thing is we have a choice now. As you rightly point out the games industry is always moving forwards. (I used to type lines of code out of a book for what seemed like days in order to watch a dot change colour.) I think alot of people myself included worry that when this 'service' makes money it will cease to be optional and become mandatory.

I would recommend searching for 'Extra Credits + DLC' a brilliant vid explaining this issue in a far more entertaining way than I can.

Just a quick point about using your age to bolster your argument, those younger than you will dismiss you as past it, those older will dismiss you as naive. Tends to be a lose/lose situation.

For example, your probably now thinking that I'm a patronising old fool, while members in their 40's will be dismissive of my late entry into home computing.. "typing, humph I had to use punch cards when I first..." See?

Last edited: 8 Sep 2011
  9. BoogieMan

BoogieMan Cunny Funt

Is this for MW3?

I might cancel my preorder if that's the case..

10. longweight

It is but it isn't mandatory.

11. BoogieMan

BoogieMan Cunny Funt

So you can still play online without it?

I'm already paying £40 a year for psn plus, not willing to fork out double that.

12. borals

borals What's a Dremel?

The problem I have with it, is the fact that once again they will release an incomplete game. One that only becomes complete provided you pay the extra cash. The features on that list come standard with most multiplayer experiences.

I mean, they already say they have 20 pieces of DLC, which if there was no subscription, would have already been in the game. More and more companies are doing this and it really is just greed.

The only way they can get away with releasing old maps is the lack of mod support, cause players would be porting those maps over.

I also wager that the elite sub will grant users access to advantages in game, which is ridiculous.

The hardest thing for me to swallow though, is the fact that some people would defend this? Why? Why are you happy to pay extra for what should be in the game regardless? This I just cant understand, it's not like the company needs the extra cash......................

13. fodder

fodder Minimodder

For the maths class above, how much do you save in the second and third years?

Pro videos? Ever heard of YouTube?

How on earth, in one year, are you going to get a good Clan match/league structure mature enough to be of interest to anyone but the 12 year olds with a short attention span?

I have supported/bought all the COD games, even that IWnet abortion. This I will not be buying.

14. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Well the next cod game will be out so it looks like wallet time again.

I really hope this greed kills the franchise. It's not like they are innovative, they are just taking more out of the base game every year and drip feeding/charging you. While telling you its more content.

15. hrp8600

hrp8600 What's a Dremel?

why not just charge for mod tools, then we could have 1,000s of maps new and old.
    Better value and would sell better.
    just my thoughts and I know mod tools should be free but this is Activision.
    An other thought just came to me, as people look to it as £80 for the game,
    £40 + for half a game makes non Elite seem even more over priced than allready is.

16. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I don't mind paid for DLC, what I mind is the rampant price gouging that Activision get away with. It's completely immoral, and is downright offensive. Churning out the same silly **** year on year until the franchise has covered more years than the events they're depitcting (See Medal of Honour vs. World War 2), and still charging the largest figure possible? It sickens me.

I have some issues with that notion.

Firstly, if Activision sold mod tools, they'd make less money on map packs. Check the sales figures for three maps branded "map packs".

Secondly, gamers are not level designers. 99% of the free maps would be utter bollocks at best, and no doubt favour the maker more than the rest of the players - It'd be a nightmare of garbage and kill the online aspect of the game.

17. fodder

fodder Minimodder

I disagree on the homebrew maps comment. Yes, 99% would be utter pants. But, on COD4 (the last COD game worth buying and playing IMHO) there were some very good maps made and some used in Leagues as well.

I miss those days where you could have your own server, create your own mods to either create the gameplay you wanted on your server or make Clan matches/scrims a doddle to setup and do. It was common to have at least one friendly scrim a night as it was so easy.

Never managed a scrim on any subsequent COD games. Shame.

18. KiNETiK

KiNETiK What's a Dremel?

I don't have any plans to buy MW3, i'm more of a BF fan but I don't really see the issue that people have with this extra payment.

I have sunk over 600 hours into Bad Company 2 and it has cost me a fixed price of £30. Obviously I really enjoy playing this game and if there were extras that would extend the games life and add another layer of service to the game, another £35 for a year isn't really that much. After all, it would still only be £65 for over 600 hours of gameplay (for me). Compare this to an MMORPG which people will happily pay a one off purchase price + a monthly fee just for the privilege of playing the game.

So yea the majority of people hate MW3 on the PC and its easy to jump on the bandwagon and dismiss any news that comes out about the game but paying an extra 3 QUID a month for some extra content and services (I also quite like the idea of all the offical clan stuff that they are offering) for a game that people will play for hours and hours seems fine to me.

19. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

hopefully paying for DLC should mean a company can afford more manpower and more effort into making more **** you like, I `m ok with that. I wont be buying any of this though, just saying.

20. BoogieMan

BoogieMan Cunny Funt

Maybe sort out the matchmaking on the PS3 version. BlackOps was awful.

Tags: Add Tags