1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Man / Nerd Cave Project

Discussion in 'General' started by 3one5, 6 Sep 2011.

1. Rai

Rai What's a Dremel?

I wish I had a setup like that ... I bet most of us here do ...

I will be watching this. ;)

2. 3one5

3one5 What's a Dremel?

Yes Sir, a buddy of mine gave that to me. It's a G5 but I don't know much more about it. I really don't have much experience with Apple products but figure it would be fun to play with.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 21 Oct 2012
    bodkin likes this.
  3. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

That's pretty cool, the inner kid in me is saying 'WANT' the outer kid is saying 'WANT' Shame i can't have.

Sam

4. megadriveguy

megadriveguy Minimodder

:thumb:

5. 3one5

3one5 What's a Dremel?

Thanks, I've wanted to do something like this for a while. Still not perfect as I would like to have a room where the racks are behind glass to be seen and not heard but this will do until I make the big bucks :)

I did some messing around with SweetHome3D an while back and put this together.

[​IMG]

6. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Nice, now just drop the wife and make it a man house

xMathiasD likes this.
  7. 3one5

3one5 What's a Dremel?

It's nice having a woman's touch in other parts of the house. I have no problem taking over the basement but the rest of the house needs to be livable :)

8. Yariko

Yariko What's a Dremel?

That looks perfectly livable to me?

Nice job, everytime I see racks I realize how much I love them <3

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I honestly HATE these things:
    [​IMG]
    They could perfectly put normal Ethernet plugs and makes our life easier, and makes of a more solid network (less likely of having a bad network due to a miss installed or pop-out wire). Well of course they do make them.. but they charge you a bunch load of money. Oh you want Ethernet jacks for your convenience, which will add a whole 5$ to the price tag... No problem, here you go 2000$ more. Pffff.

[/rant]

Last edited: 7 Sep 2011
  10. 3one5

3one5 What's a Dremel?

I am right there with you. The other patch panel that I have there in the data rack is a keystone jack style patch panel. This where I plan on running a lot of the house runs to. I just didn't have the money that it would take to do both the house and the patches between racks. I should point out that I have been using punch down patch panels for well over a decade and have never had an issue. Some of the facilities that I've worked in have had thousands of them and I've never run into a problem. I think the key is good wire management and proper tie down.

Speaking of the cost of all this. A lot of what I have I picked up second hand on craigslist to help save some $$.

11. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Damn this looks good. Kinda like what I'm doing in my room but on a larger and more expensive way! I have two Ikea Galant desks, three Dell ultrasharps and a huge ass server too! Oh wait, no I don't have a server, but I do have the other parts. And as of last night I even have guitars on the wall :)

Definitely following this one.

12. Xir

Xir Modder

Well, unless you want tons of too-long cables, or start pulling ethernet plugs through your tubing, you'd be putting the eternet jacks onto the cables by yourself anyway.

And the time consumed by getting a cable ready for patching or ready for crimping is pretty much the same.
    Pays to have a good tool, but they're priced like they're made of fairy dust....:grr:

13. 3one5

3one5 What's a Dremel?

Every time a mini-com jack is terminated a nerd gets his pocket protector. I'd say it's worth it but I don't have the money to. :)

I actually picked up four 48 port Panduit Patch Panels fully populated with Mini-com jacks off of craigslist for $50.

14. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

LOL @ pocket protector! You did really well getting 4x fully populated 48 port panels for only $50! Imagine how I feel, paying £6.50 a piece (that's close to $10 in your money) for Excel Cat6a keystone jacks for my home network :rolleyes:

The IDC patch panels aren't too bad... you get used to doing them properly and efficiently. IMO crimping RJ45 ends on every termination is more time consuming even if it is more reliable. Although I have to admit, I am using RJ45-RJ45 pass through patch panels in my house and workshop. That's only because I got them as part of a parts bundle with a switch and firewall though, wasn't really by choice.

15. 3one5

3one5 What's a Dremel?

I am in the same boat. I look for what I want but usually end up settling on what ever I can get my hands on at a decent price.

16. stouffer

stouffer What's a Dremel?

Amazing, any more pics 3one5?

I was jealous when I saw the pics, until I thought of how much work you'll have to do!

17. 3one5

3one5 What's a Dremel?

Thanks Stouffer. Just when I think that I am getting close to getting done I come up with another idea or have to change something around.

Today I was sitting at my desk prepping a couple Exchange servers when I decided that I didn't like the look of the power and video cables zip tied to the back of the monitor stand. I decided that I would cut the pipe down a bit more and then run all the cabling down the inside of the pipe.

I had to pull the monitor stand apart, cut the the desk out from the center of the flange and then put it all back together. Unfortunately a DVI cable will not fit down the center of a 1.5" galvanized steel pipe so I have to pick up a DVI to Displayport cable so that I can finish up. The pictures I took are without the DVI cable laying across the desk until the other cable arrives.

To help clean things up a bit I also mounted my speaker volume control under the desk along with the wireless mouse transceiver. I also plan to move the USB Hub/Desk grommet up in between the keyboard and monitors. That way I have easier access to those ports and the keyboard cable can be shortened up a bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 21 Oct 2012
  18. 3one5

3one5 What's a Dremel?

Moved the USB hub forward, ordered a few longer cables and picked up an Ikea Stolmen Shelf that I am going to use to hold all my spare keyboards. I also ordered a brushed aluminum blind so people can peer into the window.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=stolmen

I am in the process of stripping the poles and hardware down to raw aluminum. I will have to paint a couple small pieces of plastic hardware to match.

19. thefriscokid

thefriscokid why s**t so crazy?

Was the sever rack picture posted in the [h]ardop forums?

20. 3one5

3one5 What's a Dremel?

Yes Sir.