1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Dead Island

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by mansueto, 6 Sep 2011.

1. Everydayoddity

Everydayoddity What's a Dremel?

Was excited by this due to the trailer, but after running around excited for two days, I stopped and cold logic informed me I'd seen no gameplay. As such I've held off from looking into this, will be extremely interested to see what Joe makes of it, as the comments on the steam FB annoucement for the release in the US were far from complimentary!

2. knarF

knarF Noob

This is what's putting me off. The "backwards" trailer was epic, made me interested straight away. Now it looks like some braindead (excuse the pun) beat 'em up with Borderlands-style RPG elements thrown in because that's what devs do these days. The pathetic PC release makes me pretty certain that i'll never buy this game.

3. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

This. That trailer was amazing. My first thought was Left 4 Dead with huge zombie hordes but a sense of seriousness, better graphics, more sinister and scary, and a slower pace. If you know what i mean? I wanted something to make me run like crazy from the horde and actually be afraid to play.

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

is it me or gameplay looks like Resident Evil games?

5. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I was very impressed by the trailer and I thought it would be a gritty, tense game, something new in the zombie genre. But no, hack and slash and from what I have seen mindless.

Oh well :(

6. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

Was hoping to get this Friday, wasnt sure.

Now you say its mindless Zombie killing, sounds like im definately going to get it now :thumb:

7. longweight

Ha well you may be better off with Dead Rising 2 then! Probably cheaper now!

8. pingu666

pingu666 What's a Dremel?

ive seen dr2 for £11.something on shopto or somewhere :)

9. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

In a horribly ironic way, the game has been cursed by it's frankly stupendous trailer, and is now more often than not compared to the 'promise' the trailer conjured up in people's minds... Perhaps if there had been no trailer like this, perceptions may be slightly different?

FWIW though, I'm glad they did do the trailer - it really is a sign that gaming is maturing in general and showing that it can at times be the equal of anything Hollywood can churn out...

10. longweight

It's not that hard to turn out a good 2 minute game trailer but it is very very hard to turn out an excellent and mature game.

11. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

From what i have read they know about the problem and there has been an update to the game this morning. Only 16 hours left till the game unlocks w00t!

12. longweight

Which problem? I hope it is really good, I need a new game!

13. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Aparentlly the US version is buggy and unfinished. I read something about that they released a beta version by mistake on steam.

linky

14. Threefiguremini

Threefiguremini What's a Dremel?

It seems to be buggy as hell. In the yogcast video of it they found out that pressing y turns noclip mode on. Plus there was all sorts of glitch animations and pathing issues.

15. longweight

16. TheBlackSunshine

TheBlackSunshine What's a Dremel?

I have quite a few friends in the US who have it, and say it's epic fun, certainly not the lowly 6s or 7s the reviewers have been given it. Looks beautiful and the gameplay is quality, or at least it would be if it wasn't broken as hell. They released the wrong build, it still had crossovers from Xbox 360. For example sometimes my friends were being prompted to hit right trigger, or the dbad buttons. I think they tried to patch it but failed, then tried to patch it again and failed again.

They have said they are aware of the issues, but I'd steer clear for at least a couple of weeks until they can actually release the correct build.... But besides that the core game will be great when they sort it out.

17. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

After playing it just a little bit, the best part about the game is how nice the island looks (when the graphics are behaving). Everything else just feels horrible. Performing actions is really weird because it takes control of your character for a second, trying to wack/stab zombies is hard because your reach is hard to estimate, in the starting room if you just look around the walls you can watch the refresh lines go up the walls, and the game as a whole is kinda boring (for now I think I need to get stronger so I can explore the rest of the island and it'll get better).

18. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

If you play it on PC, you can force it to use vsync. For ATI you can use D3DOverrider and nVidia has similar.

As for the controls, you do get used to it after a while. Your character will attack wherever your crosshair is pointing, so if you point at their arms, your character will take a swing at their arms and you can even hack their arms off. If you go for their head, it swings at their head which is preferable if you want to kill them, but it also means that you have to get closer which can be an issue if you are using a short weapon like a knife or whatever.

I dislike how you don't get to use guns until much later in the game, so you are forced to spend a long time bonking stuff on the head whether you like it or not. I also find that the fighting is very repetitive and also pretty mediocre, as is typical with this kind of game. It's just bash bash bash so very mindless. There is not much in the way of fancy moves or stances or anything, so it has virtually no depth, so it's not for the kind of person who likes RPG type combat.

Judging it as a hack and slash though, I would say that it's probably above average, because it gives you some nice things you don't usually get in the genre. A big open world that is good looking, lots of quests to do, often in a none linear fashion too. You have the ability to drive a car which is a nice touch. There are plenty of characters to talk to and it has a story to it, and you also get to build up your character your own way.

Overall I think it's a nice little zombie basher, fun if you like blood n guts and stuff. But I think a lot of people would find it lacks sophistication.

19. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

I really feel like it's Far Cry 2 with zombies. more or less.

20. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Played it 20mins this morning before school and it seems like a lot of fun even though the controls feel a lil wonky. And the sudden quicktime events relly pissed me of as I didnt know first what the hell the wanted from me to do. The interface is really made for consoles and ported to PC so some things feel of.