1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hewlett Packard - Getting out of the hardware biz

Discussion in 'Serious' started by GreatOldOne, 19 Aug 2011.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Large consumer electronics companies are like large film companies: they don't like to take risk. In their books that means re-hashing what proved to be popular in the past until it is a smooth, homogeneous grey, bland mush. Apple on the other hand is driven by an obsessive who has vision and who is not afraid to depart from the norm.

I share your frustration. There are so many obvious things our gadgets should be doing but don't, even though the technology has been around for years. Companies are lazy, and they compete by establishing proprietary standard, none if which will win so we have nothing at all.

2. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Go to liquidware and roll your own tablet. Problem solved.

I as well lament WebOS, though I don't see what tablets have to do with sod all. I don't know ANYONE who uses one, and I've never even seen an iPad in real life. So they're not THAT popular, as I spend time more time in the largest city in the state (at 1 million+ people) than at home. You think I'd see one somewhere. Odd, the "next big thing" has zero uptake here, where people are proudly sporting their iWhatevers all over FB and insisting that you believe it was given to them by God Himself. Dunno, I just don't see tablets as going anywhere. Won't do jack I want, so I'm not gonna buy, and most of my friends just look at them and drool, unable to figure it out because there's no keyboard. Also a reason I can't see them going anywhere. We have netbooks, let that be it.

3. Nexxo

You're a geek. Tablets are aimed at young middle-class twitterati. Alabama may not have too many of those.

How many iPads have sold thus far? Fifteen million. Apple now has more money in reserve than the US government. So I guess they are kinda popular. I guess they meet some consumer need.

4. The Monk

The Monk Minimodder

Price drop confirmed! £89 for a 16GB version and £115 for a 32GB version

I am really tempted to get one for only £89, especially with developers confirming they will attempt to get Honeycomb running on it....

5. Nexxo

£89,-- for a Honeycomb-powered tablet? Yes please!

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

£89 where?

Just checked a few places and I'm still seeing £300+ :(

7. Durd

Durd Minimodder

PC World, Currys, etc. Problem is, I doubt you will find it in stock anywhere now... :blah:

8. knarF

knarF Noob

Seems strange that they would just quit what they are famous for. They say it's because there isn't enough money init, but surely there is more than none?

Sometimes business makes no sense to me.

9. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

They all went within about 2 minutes :<

10. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I bought mine from the HP Canada website Saturday morning. Read today that orders up to Monday will start shipping on the 12th of September (from the HP Canada website)

So... I think im gonna get one!!!:D:D

11. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

when I stayed in huntsville for a couple of weeks, saw a lot of beer cans outside the base :lol:

netbook is something that can't be replaced imo.. not even in the same league really when you think about all the things you can use your netbook for.. I look that the ipad as more as an adult psp- or an expensive kindle with a web browser

maybe if you write your own apps it could be good, but other than that your sitting on proprietary garbage.. that's the problem with proprietary anything- your at the whim of the company who makes it and what they allow on it

12. KayinBlack

That's because Huntsville is a cesspool.

13. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I actually liked it there.. people were really nice- bit a lot of the community was pretty poor

think best place ever been is buloxi mississippi.. least far as the people go- they have the southern hospitality but off the beach- got more of a hippy attitude =]

14. The Monk

The Monk Minimodder

HP have now said they aren't getting out of the PC business.

linky

15. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Kinda sucks, if I HAD to buy a desktop it would be an HP desktop

16. KayinBlack

17. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Just to revive the thread :D

HP Printers are awesome, better than that actually, we have over 50 and almost never have a problem with them ^.^

18. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Apparently they're going to make some more TouchPads....

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9219615/HP_to_make_more_TouchPads

Ok - Why? If there's unfulfilled demand for them, it's at the lower price point. You know, the one where they're selling the thing at a loss.... Unless they've got a warehouse full of components they need to shift, I can't see the point of them doing this. They're just flushing more cash down the bog.

19. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

One would imagine that they had a contract in place with manufacturers/suppliers agreeing certain unit prices for quantities which didn't take in to account mothballing it weeks after it is released. Contracts like that are usually fairly pricey to back out of. Perhaps it is cheaper having the thing made and recouping half the BOM

20. jones2636

jones2636 What's a Dremel?

Whaile I love some of there hardware had quite a few of there printers over the years with no problems. But god dam hate there software tho its a nightmare to use but could be a shame to see them slowly drop off the radar.