1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Cor Leonis

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Attila, 28 Feb 2011.

1. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

Real nice work Attila, this case is looking great already and I think you made the right choice in cannibalising your desk for the mesh as it does look smart!

2. Stark.Jr

Stark.Jr What's a Dremel?

I think im on drugs, becus this is not real right?

//S.Jr

3. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Beautiful, the design just flows gracefully down and in. :thumb:

To bad you will need to side screw fins, a bottom mount would have kept the screws hidden :)

4. Cleveland216

Cleveland216 Carbon Fiber King

Good Work! What is it that you exactly do for a profession?? I am wondering this, cause it seems like you have years of experience in the fabrication or milling trade.

It would be nice to see pics of how you bended those tabs on that lower cover? Did you have to make the cover several times or did you get it right on the first try?? I always am trying to determine how much measurement to put into a bend. 1 or 2 mm usually, though, insight from you can help me on that!!

Have you wieghed your case yet??

5. bugbear974

bugbear974 What's a Dremel?

i Just say you have a gold hands!

6. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

attila attila attila.... STUNNING handcraft! :) it fantastic looking at and clearly you are going at a more nair saif then cygnus it seems to me :)

...but with that said i put in a reservation because you havent shown us the outside yet... ;)

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

No sheet :lol: unbelievably awesome work Attila, oh soooo badass :D:jawdrop::clap::thumb:.

Love the interlocking parts also, that's 1 of the many reasons I got a nice scroll saw so I could do interlocking pieces & then theres you doing it with a hacksaw :hehe::D mod on mate :rock:.

8. Rankine

Rankine What's a Dremel?

Attila, your level of precision in what you made is simply spectacular! in these months i had planned to build my CNC for making the parts of my new mod but, as i can see, that's not so essential....
    great job man!

9. Cleveland216

Cleveland216 Carbon Fiber King

Do you know what grade Aluminium you are using?? Since you file alot, I'm guessing you use a grade that is approiatate for that.

10. rak500

rak500 Minimodder

Unbelievable! I lack adjectives to describe how amazed I am!
    About the drawings, do you only plan on paper or do you do any 3D modeling?
    Congrats on the build, nothing looks like it, very striking design. I'd be very surprised if this isn't featured on all computer-related websites of the galaxy...
    All the best!

Last edited: 11 Sep 2011
  11. HatManSan

HatManSan What's a Dremel?

I think it is epic to see someone doing every by hand. CNC and lathes are in my opinion cheating. Your filing is superb. The design is not to my taste but the workmanship is simply awesome. Be interesting to see how this mod copes with dust.

Brilliant and skillful work.

12. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Thanks Nexxo. :)

Thank you and welcome to bit-tech. :)

Haha., Thanks Aniki but I have to disappoint you. Those drawings are actually posterised photos that I print out on plain paper so I can sketch ideas over the top. ;)

Thanks Ziip. :thumb:

Thanks Nitrix, I'm happy this does that for you. :)

Thanks. :) No, it weighs seven kilo's.

:blush: Thank you AnG3L but you are far too kind. :thumb:

Thanks Antony, glad you're enjoying it. :thumb:

Thanks mate. :thumb:

Thanks. :)

Thank you. :)

Thanks dream. :)

:hehe: Thanks Editor. :thumb:

I think I did too. Thanks. :)

No, it's real. Thanks. :)

Thanks Craig. :thumb: Not sure what you mean here but I've gone to great lengths to ensure that no screws will be visible when complete. ;)

Thanks. :thumb: I've never had anything to do with milling or fabrication in my working life. The last time I used a lathe was in secondary school in about 1973. I've never used a mill, though I would love to. I only started playing around with alu in a big way when I started to build cases in 2005. But I have learned more with each build and my skills have progressively improved. I have particularly tried to continuously improve on the quality of my work (design, fit, finish etc).

Those parts were only made once though if you follow the updates you'll be aware that I have often had to re-make parts several times. This can be because of bad initial measurement or as is more often the case, a change of design or detail. The tab bend lines are scored fairly deep and the tabs bent in the vice. It's very rare that they fit straight away. Some more nudging and persuasion is required with the aid of a nylon mallet and some thick, straight lump of alu. Often the inside corner of a bend is filed to fit hard up against whatever it needs to. In this case I don't have to worry too much about how these pieces look because all this will be permanently covered. But where there are a lot of visible bends, like in CX1, then much more care needs to be taken with the appearance of the work.

The work so far weighs 7kg. There is very little (weight wise) alu to go so I'm estimating the completed case to weigh between 12kg to 15kg. For a comparison, CX1 weighs 23kg.

Thank you. :)

Thank you. I'm sure it wont look like anything I've made before (except for the telltale pads). ;)

Thank you. :) But I would keep working on the CNC. I plan to either make one or buy one sometime in the future.

I never ask for a specific alloy when buying aluminium. I've got all sorts in this case, 6061, 5083, 6060, 5005 etc. Yes I do notice some alloys drill better/file easier/ bend better but it's not something I worry about. ;)

Thank you. :) Yes I play around with SU and I scribble on bits of paper but mainly (like mostly) it just comes straight out of my head and into metal. ;)

13. miahallen

miahallen Team IRONMODS - World Champions!

WOW! It just keeps getting better and better....your work is truly amazing :rock:

14. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Oh I miss understood, I thought screw through side plate into end of fin :duh: :hehe:

15. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

What kinda colors are you going to use?

I'd go polished alum and flat black. Keep up the kick ass work

16. xXSebaSXx

xXSebaSXx Minimodder

I've been sitting here, looking at this picture, trying to think of something clever to say about the magnitudes of awesomeness that this thing oozes all over the place... But I find myself at a loss for adjectives that even come close to describing what I'm feeling right now.

I've seen beautiful builds here at BT in the time that I've been a member, but this one is just on a different level... This one made me stop and do a "double-take"; this one gave me goosebumps; this one made me feel things that one doesn't necessarily feel when looking at computer HW (and I'm not even trying to be funny, or bring in any kind of innuendo into this); this one tickled my "emotional" bone.

So all I can say is that this case is no longer just a "mod", or a "scratch build"... No; this case is ART...

17. Autti

Autti What's a Dremel?

Is Cor Leonis going to have an I/O panel on the front like CX1 or be like your previous build?

Also nice website, really really good photos. Also good to leave hints that you plan 3 builds after this one :p

18. alain-s

alain-s Minimodder

Fantastic work again Attila

Looking forward to the next update.

19. Espie79

Espie79 What's a Dremel?

Amazing work. Have you weighed it?

20. Gentleman_Dingo

Gentleman_Dingo What's a Dremel?

I love the interlocking pieces. After working on my scratch build I understand how fricking hard it is to do that and to make it look as flawless as you do.

Bravo good sir.

Out of curiosity, which do you prefer: modding an existing case or scratch builds? I'm looking at doing casemod next, but every case I look at I keep thinking I could do my own frame a little better or with more style.