1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Automated Parking

Discussion in 'General' started by Pookeyhead, 11 Sep 2011.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

With so many new cars having "Parking Assist" or equivalent systems, are we in danger of just losing the ability to drive, much as Sat Nav has eroded our ability to navigate without it? That's fine though, as people just get lost or end up in muddy country lanes... no problem except theirs, but parking assist is something else entirely.

No system is perfect, and I recently witnessed a Focus ( think it was anyway, all new fords look the same these days, and I didn't have a clear view) just reverse straight into someone while using it. Clearly the shape of the car behind (an old 8 series BMW) caused some problems for the parking radar.

The key word here is Parking ASSIST! Even he was using it, he should have been ready to brake or grab to the wheel to stop it.

What's so damned hard about parking anyway????

This gets me so mad. If you can't park, then you have demonstrated that you can not fully control your vehicle, and in my opinion should have your license taken off you.

Last edited: 11 Sep 2011
  2. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

It's one of those irritating inventions for people who cannot be bothered to do stuff themselves. I mean, if you use it every so often - fine. But all the time - then you should lose your license.

3. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I find it's often people who have sod all knowledge of geometry and depth perception who **** up at parking.

4. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Find someplace else to park that isn't parallel?

5. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Or just learn to parallel park.

6. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Exactly. It's part of the driving test for a reason.

7. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I cannot stand the low level of driving skill in the Uk, the test is far too easy and it doesn't even cover motorway driving!

We need to be more like northern european countries when it comes to driving.

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I love the parking sensors on my Passat, but they do make you a bit lazy. No doubt, if I ever get a car without them, I'll have all kinds of fun and games getting into tight spaces.

9. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

We had a German guy from one of our Mainland European offices come over for a meeting and took a couple of guys out for dinner in his car that he had brought over. That had a rear view camera which had markings shown on it to help with parallel parking. He made a big show of not looking at it once while he was reversing.

When he had finished and one guy mentioned the camera and screen he just waved at it and said 'Pff, fur ze laydees'.

That saying has now become a byword / phrase. whatever for taking the easy option.

Well, it gets used if there are no 'laydees' nearby, some of the ones we work with can be kinda scary.

10. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

I've seen so many people ( 99% women- call me a misogynist if you like, I ain't lying though ) fail so badly at parking around where I live it truly scares me to death sometimes- worst is when they can't fit a small city car in a space big enough for a mini bus...

I'd post more but you get the idea; just hopeless really...

David likes this.
  11. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

I don't drive so I can't really comment on the technical side of it, but I see so many people failing at this outside the shop where I work.

Just to the right of the shop is a clearway (is this right?) which is about the length of a large van to give access to some land, the amount of people who pull up outside the shop and fail to use this space to make the task of parking easier is unreal.

I mean how hard is it to pull into a space which with the addition of the clearway is maybe 2 1/2 car lengths long and still fail to reverse into the space or manage to get into the space but leave the car around 2 foot from the kerb.

12. Rygel Cumberbatch

Rygel Cumberbatch What's a Dremel?

Yes! Yes, you will!

Having spent the winter driving my father's Land Rover, which had front and rear parking sensors fitted, I grew accustomed to guiding the car using the beeps, only using my eyes to look for pedestrians and moving vehicles that I might have to avoid.

A couple of months later when I'd returned to the UK, I was driving a friend's car (a much smaller Renault Clio), reversing out of a standard parking space. I was aware that there were cars parked either side of me, but didn't devote any attention to them. That was until I'd turned the steering wheel a full turn while letting my foot gently off the clutch, to be welcomed by a crunching and scraping sound. I was too busy listening out for the beeps, not realising the car had no parking sensors to beep in the first place :duh:

Thankfully, there was no (visible) damage done to the other car and the only damage done to the Clio was on the front bumper, which my friend was due to replace with some pimped out bodykit thing, so the incident didn't cost me anything. This time.

13. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Because its illegal to drive on a motorway untill you've passed your test.

As for automated parking systems I dont like the idea tbh, I've "recently" got my licence (few months back I passed) but can't drive for a while (costs are too high :() and tbh parallel parking is easy.. it was my favourite manouver so I was happy when I had it on my test xD

14. longweight

Is it really?! Well that is an excellent reason to not teach new drivers how to use the motorways!

Maybe they should change the law and the driving test as people really do struggle to use the motorway properly.

15. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Yeah it does seem kinda stupid considering you would likely drive on motorways alot. The way new drivers can get motorway experiance is by doing the Pass Plus scheme where you go out driving in different conditions so town and cities, country roads, motorways etc.

16. longweight

But that isn't mandatory and even if you do take part it doesn't guarantee that you will drive on the motorway, if it isn't feasible the instructor can just explain the concept to you.

17. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

^That isn't mandatory though, hence. If you had to pass an advanced test / pass-plus scheme within 2 years of passing your test ( or have to take your test again ) it would be much better & fairer.

Bikers have it hard, once you pass your CBT you can only drive upto a 125cc bike or scooter & can't go on motorways. Then you have to pass your full test within 2 years, ans you are still limited to a 400cc bike for the first 2 years after your test before you can get something larger.

Car drivers can go pass their test and buy a damn lambo if they want, hence why so many young people have accidents due to inexperience and lack of training- there should be more restrictions on what new drivers can & can't do and a more indepth practical test to make sure they have the skills & common sense to be let loose on the roads...

EDIT: ninja'd

18. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Oh yeah I know it isnt mandatory, as for not going on a motorway I guess it depends where you live, up here in north wales they take you over to Manchester and Liverpool way for the M60 etc.

19. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

The solution to all this? Everyone get a motorbike! If you have no sense you will crash and it will hurt and parking is the easiest thing ever.

20. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

You speak the truth