1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retro Syndicate Re-make is an FPS?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Zurechial, 11 Sep 2011.

1. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/11/syndicate-reboot-confirmed-as-co-op-fps/

:duh:

Why couldn't they just give it a different name? Like the X-Com remake, how do they really benefit from raping the franchise like this?

Syndicate and X-Com were not shooters and the people who played them years ago are very unlikely to jump with the glee at the news of these old franchises being remade as shooters - So what do companies like EA actually gain from doing this, aside from just pissing old fans off?

I very much doubt that the target market for these new games even know what Syndicate and X-Com were about.

What's interesting is that if this had been a leak of a new, exciting shooter with a cyberpunk setting along the lines of Syndicate I'd be excited; but as it stands the principle of the thing just makes me resent this game before I've even seen it in action.
    If only they weren't trying to claim that this is a Syndicate game. :(

-

As an aside: Syndicate was a game about powerful corporations taking over society in a cyberpunk dystopia. Back when it was published, companies like EA were still relatively small and pandering to a niche market of gaming nerds.
    Now gaming has become a massive, mainstream entertainment industry. EA is publishing a game set in a world shat on by big corporations. Oh the poetic irony!

Last edited: 11 Sep 2011
    SazBard likes this.
  2. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I have no idea what the original Syndicate is but since this new title is being developed by Starbreeze, it's most likely going to be awesome in its own right.

3. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

I agree Zurechial 100%.

Not only is most modern gaming dumbed down action crap for the masses, but they are now raping and pillaging the old classics and defiling their good names for a quick cash in too. Bast***s.

EA really is a plague-like parasite. Not only do they mass produce this crap, but if there are any companies who dare to still make good games, they just buy them up and dismantle them. I could easily picture a future where EA is the only games company left, and they just pump out zombie games made entirely of quicktime events.

4. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syndicate_(video_game)

Pretty much all of the key people from Starbreeze who worked on their other games left the company after Dark Athena to create a new studio, Machinegames.
    Like the game in question, the dev studio has continuity in name only; so don't get too excited.

One of the marketing highlights of the game so far is bullet-time, as if that's something new.
    I see very little to be excited or pleased about here.

Who knows, maybe the game will be great; so far it sounds pretty bland to me and the very fact that it's yet another pointless reboot of a non-shooter franchise as a shooter just pisses me off.

5. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

/faithincomicandmovielicensegames

:'(

6. EdwardTeach

EdwardTeach What's a Dremel?

This game is going to be shite.

As said above I can't see any reason for them using the syndicate name. If will only create hostility and suspicion from fans and critics, I can't see the getting any goodwill out of this at all.

7. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Favourite game ever, shame.

Even if it is actually good, it won't be Syndicate :/

8. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

I think they do it to piss people like you off Zurechial

9. rogerrabbits

"People like Zurechial" is basically just "people over about 28". Which itself is basically just "people who saw the golden age of gaming", not the happy meal version of gaming that it is today.

10. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

Well surely the "Golden age of gaming" is completely unquantifiable.

Unfortunately for us in ten or 15 years time there will be a new set of 25 + year olds complaining how games companies these days are raping their own favourite franchises. You know when they bring back the classic FPS Call of Duty 7 Slightly antiquated warfare re-imagined as a tense tactile turn based strategy game :D

Still....this game will be ****. How dare they rip off such a classic from MY golden age of gaming. This revamp sounds like a cheap imitation of Deus Ex HR with a bit of Max Payne to boot.

I suppose I will get my fix for Syndicate nostalgia by playing Frozen Synapse. It was the first thing I thought when I played that first level.

11. rogerrabbits

Not really, I could quantify it, but what's the point.

It's the same with all entertainment now. Films are getting remade left and right, music they don't even bother, people seem content with Katy Perry or whatever so that's fine. The fact that people even talk about games like Frozen Synapse just shows how low things have sunk imo. Syndicate was far better, and that was 18 years ago now. But the average gamer today wasn't even around then and certainly weren't playing games. All they need to do with a new Syndicate is give it oooorsum graphics and ooorsum blood and guts and I bet it will sell well. In fact, they would be better off just removing all strategy from it completely, and make it in to another Space Marine game. haaaa I am ultra soldior! I haz rocket lawncher on one hand and chainsaw on other hand! Wotch me run around this town and kill everything! RAAWR i chopped of all ur hedz!! Cater to the original Syndicate players and it will sell ok. Do the rocket launching chainsaw thing and you got a potential GOTY.

It's all just business so I can't blame them, but I can hate them :p

Last edited: 11 Sep 2011
    SazBard likes this.
  12. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

It won't replace Syndicate in my memory, just as Syndicate Wars didn't but it might end up as a reasonable game in its own right. An FPS with Syndicate type meta game might be fun, yet another shooter probably won't be.

Make it a chainsaw launching rocket thing and it would likely get more interest :p

13. rogerrabbits

Lol, that would make it game of the decade. Actually I think RAGE has a chance to outdo everything with super uber weapons. The boomerang thing that decapitates everything, I can imagine that winning over peoples' hearts. And I bet they have a cheat code which unlocks a BFG9000 in there which just disintegrates everything within a 1 mile radius and it rains blood like Dragon Age 2 could only dream of.

14. Whirly

Whirly What's a Dremel?

The remaking of old classics as FPS's is down to fear and, to some degree, us.

We're in a situation where the amount of money needed to create a AAA game is so high that the risk of failing is almost unbearable. Consequently the publishers are looking to reduce the risk wherever possible. Old classics have a name that is recognizable and has positive associations. As for the FPS bit, well, what sort of game do we buy more than anything else?

Biggest sellers this year: MW3, Battlefield 3, Mass Effect 3, Deus Ex 3....

Can you really blame investors for copying the formula we vote for with our wallets?

What we need is for one of the major FPS franchises to flop. Until someone does a "guitar hero" we'll be inundated with copies and wannabes.

Because, sadly. it's what the vast majority of gamers WANT.

15. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I had posted a ranty thread about this months ago and it still makes me angry. Why an FPS? The markets saturated and Syndicate is such an old IP and such a classic why try and reinvent its core mechanics?

16. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

Ah good ol' EA, screwing over the fans of the original to make a quick buck. Nothing we havent seen before and certainly nothing new from EA!

17. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

As long as its as bad ass as the orginal then I'll be happy.

18. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Story has been written by Richard Morgan which is a small glimmer of hope.

19. rogerrabbits

Exactly. Although sadly it's a catch-22 situation in that these kinds of games are the only ones which are getting major development and effort by the big studios these days, so we don't really have any option when it comes to voting with our wallets. For example, if I decide to tell EA to stick it and decide to not buy any of those games, what are my alternatives? Back in the day there were lots of different flavour shooters. You still had the mindless shootin' games back then too, like Serious Sam etc, but you had hardcore ones like the early Rainbow 6, and squad based tactical ones like Hidden & Dangerous, and techy ones like System Shock, wacky ones and quirky ones like No One Lives Forever, Blood, Strife, Hexen, Rise of the Triads, XIII, etc.. Nowdays it's all been boiled down in to far fewer options.

There are some exceptions though. For example I'll be rushing out to buy stuff like X:Rebirth, King Arthur 2, Arma3, etc.. maybe ArcheAge, and that will be supporting a more progressive type of gaming. But still, it's a sad situation. As I read recently on Eurogamer, there is no "middle class" of gaming anymore. It's all huge budget mainstream games like CoD, and then tiny budget indi games like World of Goo, and very little in between. I hope that changes soon, I'm just hanging in there in the meantime.

These kinds of situations tend to work themselves out eventually, it's just taking its time :/

20. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist