1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project F M J (Recession Buster)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by G-Dubs, 4 Sep 2011.

1. G-Dubs

G-Dubs What's a Dremel?

Project FMJ (Full Metal Jacket)

This first page will take a while to load as it updates to the present day from the start point of the project.

Day 1 13.08.11
    I managed to get my hands on a server case at a car boot sale a little while back, and now that Project Modzart is well under way I thought i'd get things started on this one.

Like the first carboot build I did the aim here is to keep everything low cost.

I aim to produce the best I can with the least I can

The Case itself is made of 3-4mm steel and is very well built. And when I say very well build I mean you get the impression you could shoot at this thing and there would be very little damage.

The name F M J alludes to both the thick steel housing this case has and as the build has a military theme it also links nicely with the Brass jacketed rounds the Military use.

Ok so what have we got here.

The left hand side panel is lockable, with the right only removable once access is gained to the inside of the case.

[​IMG]

The case has removable sides and ample cable management round the back. There is an HDD rack for 3 HDDs in the front, and room for 3 more in the base of the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The front of the case sports a heavy duty steel door, again lockable and pretty tough.

[​IMG]

All internal stripped out and ready for work to start.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well we knew it wouldn't be long before Mr Dremel paid a visit didn't we.

[​IMG]

2 Jobs for Mr Dremel to do.

First cut the unnecessary bits of the Mobo tray so as to improve airflow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Job done

And secondly cut a window in the side. Man this steel is tough, but job done regardless
    [​IMG]

So what have we got here then....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Used the holesaw to cut some holes in the front panel for a pair of 120mm fans.

I'd only just finished using the saw to cut the acrylic for the Modzart build and can tell you that going thriough 3mm of stell is a lot harder than 3mm of acrylic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today I've been filing down the edges of the areas where I've been cutting and also filling the holes at the bottom of the case to give a cleaner look.

Not much to show for a days work, but you've got to go through this patch to get to the enjoyable stuff.

Used wood filler rather than metal (as it was all I had. I've used wood filler before on cases and it's absolutely fine. I'm actually convinced from the smell that it's the same stuff anyway.

[​IMG]

The Big hole is where the lock goes.
    [​IMG]

Case and internals all keyed and waiting to be washed prior to their primer coat.

[​IMG]

I've now taken the case totally apart. I say totally apart, but in fact 8 screws will see it essentially flat packed.
    All parts have been sanded and washed down in detergent and given a good rinse prior to painting, and left in what's passing for sun on the bank holiday Monday afternoon to dry.
    They'll all get a going over with the tack cloth prior to painting. I'll be using Halfords grey primer undercoat first then copper on the inside and Tamya olive drab on the outside.
    Might also try my hand at a bit of a logo on the front door.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've spent most of the day final prepping and getting the undercoat on.
    using my usual favourite Halfords Grey Primer/undercoat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm also going to be using the fans that came with the case. The smaller set will be used to move air over the HDD area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And being as the switches and activity/power light mounts will be visible within the case we can't really have them looking all beige can we.

[​IMG]

Think I might have enough G Clamps now
    [​IMG]

And finally rain stops play. I actually managed to get the first coat of top coat on the inside of the door but unfortunately rain drips splashed onto it so it will all have to be re done when it's dried out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rai

Rai What's a Dremel?

I am interested and will be following this.

What hardware are you going to put inside? Or is it a secret? :eek:

3. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Very interested in the whole 'recesion busting' element to this, will you be tallying up the total cost as you go along?

4. G-Dubs

G-Dubs What's a Dremel?

Actually just doing it as a case. Not sure what I'll do with it afterwards. Most likely the bay.

Already got a tally going.

So Far case £10
    Undercoat £12

That should be pretty much it I think aside from top coat.

5. L1U

L1U Minimodder

got to see that :D

4mm of steel this is madness! :jawdrop:

rayson likes this.
  6. G-Dubs

G-Dubs What's a Dremel?

I got a bit of a bug for modding stuff i picked up at carboot sales. Did it before a while back and was lucky enought to get it featured in a certain PC Magazine of a diferrent "Format"

The steel has been really hard going TBH. Never known anything like it.
    Actually got the caliper on it the other day and it's 3.5mm so I wasn't far off with my guess.

7. mat0tam

mat0tam Mr I Dont Know What I Want

"Searches net for a carboot near me"

Keep up the log will be following!

8. LeandroJVarini

LeandroJVarini Mod is my life!

seems a promising job! watching!

9. G-Dubs

G-Dubs What's a Dremel?

Well not only did rain stop play for the last few days but it also ruined a few paint jobs. Not only on this Project but on the other one I have on the go at the moment "Modzart". The roof found a new place to leak, right next to where I store the parts one they have dried. What happened was thousands of tiny little splashes all over the paint. I tried wiping off but no joy, so had no option but to re key slightly and re spray. Not such a pain on this project as it was due to have another coat or two, but a major setback for Modzart as it's a big Bu&&er to spray.
    In my Wrath I didn't take any pictures, but have spent the last few days sorting it all out. So rain permitting the copper coat to the inside of this case is now done.

Internals sprayed separately of course. This is the floor mounted HDD rack. I've also had to trim off one of the fan supports as it won't fit behind the lower of the two front case fans.
    [​IMG]

I'm just in love with this copper paint at the moment (you probably noticed). I think it's going to look really good with the Olive Drab green the exterior is going to be painted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Windowed side panel interior
    [​IMG]

Well as soon as this lot is dry its time to mask up for the exterior painting.
    I've also got my window ordered. As the Acrylic is only a few quid I've ordered a mid grey tint and an amber colour. Not sure which will look best so we'll have to wait and see when it comes.

10. G-Dubs

G-Dubs What's a Dremel?

I managed to squeeze in a bit more painting before the chill of the evening arrived.
    Don't mean to sound all doom and gloom but summers over guys.
    Hopefully this should give a bit of an impression as to the colour combination i'm looking to create with this project.
    The colour is Humbrol Matt 86 Light Olive. I've used it and Humbrol paints before, and although they're not cheap they do go on really nice and offer a range of colours that you can't really get from B&Q or Halfords.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's hard to know if a colour concept will work until you actually get the paint laid down and see the colours next to each other.

So does it work?

11. xSoMBrAx

xSoMBrAx Minimodder

Love the colour :). Very unique!

12. G-Dubs

G-Dubs What's a Dremel?

Very tedious and tiresome amount of masking to be done before top coating but finally we're getting there.

[​IMG]

Before painting I thought I might change the filters in my dust mask.

Glad i did as I had no idea just how bad they were.
    [​IMG]

The dust mask and the Humbrol paint I'm using for the exterior.

[​IMG]

And finally the top coat goes on.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just the top and the doors left to go but annoyingly I don't think I have enough paint left.

13. PR1ME

PR1ME More ideas than talent or money.

The color combo looks awesome. Can't wait to see it once the paint dust settles.

14. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

That colour will really work well with the copper (once you do the big reveal ;) )