1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming How 9/11 Affected Games

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 12 Sep 2011.

1. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Well said. Agree. I have family in the US and I loved the time I spent there. It's a fascinating country but I don't subscribe to all this patriotic bullsh*t. People like to feel they belong and unfortunately that can be carried to extremes. I recently discovered a UK friend of mine on facebook was a racist. She changed her profile pic to the union jack and started showing support for race hate groups. It's a shame that the union jack is slowly becoming a symbol for race hate. I have not the slightest interest in aligning myself to any groups or parties.

America is far from innocent (UK also) but it's a great showman/entertainer. On the surface america is this innocent disneyesque land, powerful yet benevolent. The reality is someone different. Dominated by huge corporations driven by greed/self-interest. Determined to control as much as they can regardless of the cost.

9/11 was of course a very bad day but there is so much more to it than people have been fed. Killing innocent people is never acceptable whatever your perceived/distorted view of reality. Likewise we create reasons for going to war and we justify killing innocent people.

2. BaDMau5

BaDMau5 What's a Dremel?

Comments like this ^^^ are another indication that many people around the world think that Americans deserved 9/11, and that idea is simply retarded. No nation is innocent, but nobody deserves being burned alive or smashed by collapsed building. Topics like 9/11 should not become taboo they need to be discussed, mostly because there is way to much shadiness about this whole story. Over 35% people here in the US believe that forces within the government made 9/11 events happen or didn't prevent them on purpose.There is way to many facts speaking against official version. BS is all around us. The source of excessive patriotism in the US after 9/11 Is the US government itself. They are the ones who speculated 9/11 events the most. It was relatively easy to manipulate masses after people got hurt and didn't know who to blame. So they started another bloody war covering themselves with their "war on the terror". I recommend watching documentaries like Fahrenheit 9/11, Lose Change and Zeitgeist.

Getting back to the topic i want to say that since there are movies like "Flight 93", 'World Trade Center" and others - there is nothing wrong with touching this topic in games. I dont think it is any different from using World War II as a story line in the game.

3. Raijin

Raijin What's a Dremel?

Wow, you are really delusional lol, I want you to think about something real quick, if the Big Ben clock tower in the UK was bombed, or if Buckingham Palace or any other really well known landmark in the UK was bombed. Are you saying you would be in the streets going, "Don't kill the innocent Iraqies!" Or would you have been like us and retaliated. Any time a place or building that stands as a symbol for a country is attacked in anyway, the citizens of that country will retaliate with extreme prejudice, in fact yes we pretty much went crazy and if a Hydrogen bomb had been dropped on Iraq, Afghanistan, or Iran we would have cheered and no one, not a single person would have protested against it. You know why? Because America as a country was pissed, because someone had dared to attack us, because it's citizens thought themselves impervious to any attack. If the president had done nothing, then he would have been impeached instantly. Did we react too strongly with sending hundreds of thousands of troops into the East? Maybe, but it's better than the alternative, which was sitting back on our asses and basically telling the terrorists "Oh, you attacked us, well I dont' really give a ****, so go ahead and do it again."

4. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

Damn right I would (and in many ways I did; I went on several anti-war marches). The actions of a few people don't justify attacking the other 30 million people that live in Iraq.

(also, if buckingham did get bombed, most people would just be pissed off about the amount of news coverage and traffic it caused)

5. Raijin

Raijin What's a Dremel?

Then you have no pride in your country, and you don't respect the lives of the soldiers lost in the war with Iraq. It's people like you that cause so many damn problems with the government, always going, "But what about the other innocents that didn't do anything." News flash, when you have people that strap bombs to kids and send them to soldiers, you really don't give one **** about the innocents. If we would have just bombed the damn country and all the other countries like it then we wouldn't have lost the amount of soldiers we did. Granted we would have killed a lot of "innocents" but there is such a thing as collateral damage. Is that cruel? Yes, but when faced with a country of radicals and extremists that absolutely hate your country, you do everything in your power to protect your country first.

6. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

The Iraqis were innocent. They had no connection to 9/11 at all. The attacks were carried out by Saudi's and financed with Saudi money.

7. Threefiguremini

Threefiguremini What's a Dremel?

Oh dear, well we all knew where this was headed :)

Let's get some perspective from the master:
    Consider again that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar", every "supreme leader", every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there - on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. (Carl Sagan)

8. iggy

iggy Minimodder

the dates the wrong way round.

9. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

nice article.. remember the national guard was out on 9/11 around the airport.. they had put sandbags down across certain roads and setup checkpoints

I don't think the country was ever as united (least in my lifetime)

no point in going into a discussion on the rights and wrongs of the wars.. there's at least a couple threads on it in the serious section.. but I can talk from my perspective before 9/11

I've always wanted to see what it's like outside north america.. you guys probably noticed a lot of annoying americans backpacking across europe like idiots

but after 9/11 when bush decided to go into iraq under bad intel and other reasons I really don't understand.. the uk was there.. and when the oil for food scandal broke out- we saw the key players in that one

it's just like on the playground- kids are your friends one day because you have a cool toy and they are eating your moms cookies.. but you get in a fight you can't win and look back poof they're gone.. I know despite what tony blair and bush did- I think it did have positive side effects we see today

I don't agree with the wars but they happened.. can't turn back time (well saw that on a episode of fringe but.. barring that)

far as gaming.. nothing is stopping anyone from releasing a wtc plane crash simulator, it just it won't sell.. I think a lot of it is marketing.. you look at it from a money point of view and it doesn't make sense to stir up bad publicity around your product.. sure you might get a cult following of pirates- but actual paying customers, doubt it

remember the games they tried to make in iraq while the fighting was still going on.. it's the same thing.. you can make it but who's going to buy it

10. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Never heard of the I.R.A then?
    Thanks for funding them America, I don't ever remember seeing the R.A.F carpet bombing Ireland though.

11. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Raijin, it's primarily because many of us do have pride in our country, national identity and all of our armed forces that we don't support war. We don't support the idea of going over to another country with little more than circumstantial evidence, destroying their way of life, massacring civilians (that "collateral damage" you seem so keen on) all to get at the relative few that are actually responsible, especially when we don't know whether or not they are even in that country to begin with. Add on top of that that you literally cannot win against a religious fundamentalist (of any faith) and it is an exercise in futility that simply costs needless lives.

The attack had a major impact though as it was possibly the most vicious of it's type committed, it wasn't something to take lightly or joke about. I reckon thehippoz is spot on about gaming though - it had minimal impact other than encouraging developers to think of the bottom line as such a touchy subject would be incredibly likely to incur a serious amount of ire from one direction or another so best not to mention it all. 10 years on, it's still a touchy subject as can be seen by many of the comments in this thread.

Last edited: 12 Sep 2011
    Arkanrais likes this.
  12. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Good article, well written & the kind of thing that keeps me coming back.

Shame we have so many bigots (not the same as patriots, by the way) that feel the need to spread their poison via these same pages!

13. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Very article but I couldn't help but laugh at this

14. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

It wuz an inside jerrb.

15. John_T

John_T Minimodder

I was going to write some long rambling diatribe countering some of the insidious remarks on here, but you know what, I think you covered it with that.

16. jhng

jhng What's a Dremel?

Good article -- one of the more interesting things on BT for a while now.

17. rollo

rollo Modder

intresting article

the world needs to move on 9/11 happend america retaliated sounds similar to pearl habour in a way. the japs could easily be described as terriorists in todays world for there attack as there was no declaration of war from them towards america. Most would say it was just as unprovoked and cost a hell of alot more lives when you look at american casultys in world war 2.

bin laden is dead its time to move on from the whole hate the arab world crap that seems to go around.

Comparisons to the IRA are close to the point the RAF did not bomb the crap outta ireland for there attacks in england. But america destroyed most of iraq and afganistan in its war on terror.

18. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

The only reason I want to live a long time is in hopes that it's long enough that the actual story of 9/11 comes out. It's a little too perfect a tale, don'tcha think?

I absolutely hate to be on the same side as an asshat such as Glenn Beck, but c'mon! The official story is BS! There are way too many inconsistencies.

That said, I hate the 'gotta be sensitive' crowd. As was mentioned - look what happens when it happens somewhere else. It's jokes and then forgotten a week later. Hell, even look at New Orleans after Katrina. Yes, it got hit by a monster hurricane, but if the Corps of Engineers hadn't screwed up the levees, and FEMA didn't totally hose the response, it wouldn't have been half as bad. But six months later, no one gave a f*ck.

And rollo - it's speculated the US let Pearl Harbor happen as a way in to the war. Sort of the converse of what Orwell said in 1984 - how better to get the US economy moving than to ship a bunch of men off to war, and leave the women behind working the factories, producing for the war effort? Of course, didn't work nearly as well this time around - the wars are a frickin albatross already.

19. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Yes thank you for the article!

20. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

You know the thing is whenever someone tells me to remember 9/11, I always am tempted to reply: Just make sure to remember the raping and pillaging of two countries and the destruction of the homes of millions right after.

Of course it isn't so clear cut, but we really should stop being so sensitive about 9/11.

Tags: Add Tags