1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Remakes, reboots and rehashes - what do you want to see?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by mikemorton, 12 Sep 2011.

1. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

Having read the Syndicate thread, I have to agree the new game will be Syndicate only in name.

In my opinion a remake should be just that - an enhanced version of the original, making it playable on modern rigs and providing superior graphics and controls, while leaving almost everything else unchanged.

What's the point?

Well, people who played the original can now enjoy the experience all over again, but this time benefiting from a technological boost.

And people who never played the original will now not miss out on the unmissable.

The games I'd like to see updated - but otherwise unchanged are:

:: Quake

:: Unreal (although it stands the test of time so well it almost doesn't need updating)

:: Dungeon Keeper

:: Halo (Xbox fans are in for a treat, but it seems PC gamers may miss out)

How about you?

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

list

Freespace.

/list

3. Mik3yB @ CCL

Mik3yB @ CCL Everything is not going to be OK

Little Big Adventure 1 and 2
    Road Rash
    Beneath a Steel Sky
    Toejam and Earl
    Flashback/Another World (or both!)
    Kid Chameleon (it would need to stay in 2D)
    Eswat
    Blastcorps
    Otogi Myth of Demons

4. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Final Fantasy 7?

Now to hide somewhere...

5. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Frontier
    Theme Hospital (Heck most of Bullfrog's back catalogue)
    I'll agree on Quake and UT as well for some reason no one seems to release twitch shooters these days.

6. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Would also agree with RoadRash, although I wouldn't want it to be all 3D etc, as that would change the gameplay dramatically, just add more stuff really

7. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

I'm not really interested in remakes because old graphics never bothered me. If I wanna play Syndicate or something I am happy to load up DosBox and play it, old graphics and all. The only thing that bugs me with the old games is mainly just that they were humble beginnings of potentially amazing series, which often sadly never got developed, meanwhile some pieces of crap went on and on and on, and on.

If I was king of the universe, these are the games I would be looking forward to getting:

World in Conflict 2
    Age of Wonders 3
    Hidden & Dangerous 3
    Baldur's Gate 3
    Terra Nova 2
    Gunship 3000
    Best of the Best 2
    Oni 2
    Halflife 3 (heh..)
    Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun 2
    Elite 4
    System Shock 3
    Police Quest 5
    Vampire: The Masquerade 3
    Dune 3
    Strike Commander 2
    Midwinter 3
    Eye of the Beholder 4
    Flashback 2
    Arcanum 2
    etc.

There are others, although there are some modern games that do satisfy me believe it or not, and they have moved things forward far beyond I ever dreamt of in the good ole days. So I would have put stuff on my list like Rainbow 6, but games like Arma 3 I think have totally eclipsed the majority of shooters, ever. And the same goes for games like X: Rebirth which is due next year. I can live without another Freelancer, Freespace, Wing Commander, Xwing, and even Elite, if they manage to take the X series where I hope it will go. (And there is a good chance they will).

p.s. This thread will get about 2 billion hits from google searches.

Last edited: 12 Sep 2011
  8. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I'd like to see Final Fantasy VII with ALL of the dialogue and text totally rewritten fresh.

I played it through again recently (not finished yet, but clocked up a hundred hours or so) and I can't believe I missed how godawful the writing is first time round as a kid. The translation efforts and the characterization is laughably bad in places, passable at best, and only occasionally up to what you'd expect in a native-English game.

I don't even care about the graphics, I don't find them an obstacle at all. Just a text replacement, for the love of God.

A revamp of Doom 3's weapons and sound effects would be cool, too. And some ragdoll and better physics and better gore/impact detail for good measure. The horribly unsatisfying, underpowered weapons that all sounded like pea shooters were the only thing that broke that game.

9. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

Deus Ex!

10. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Freelancer
    Elite
    Zak McKracken
    Outcast
    King's Quest 1 through 3
    Eye of the Beholder 1 through 3 (though I'd settle for a number 4)

11. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

System Shock 2. Although Bioshock/Doom3/Deus Ex HR all take a lot from the game.

12. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

I'd love to see the Baldur's Gate saga complete, redone with a gorgeous 3D engine. Something looking like Skyrim perhaps? I still don't see anything that competes in terms of sheer character involvement and story.

13. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

Maybe an update to Rome: Total War. That was too epic a game, but a side dish of awesome sauce would be nice.

And maybe a follow up to Infinite Space.

14. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

Elite???

And Eve doesnt count cos it costs monthly subscriptions...

15. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I think it's because, as graphics and presentation have become more and more demanding to create, less and less development time can be put into writing. Can't have it both ways.

Look at Call of Cthulhu, for example: a devastatingly well-written, well-designed, well-characterized game with a fantastic story and presentation so good it was still totally immersive despite having absolutely terrible graphics for its release date. It was almost completely overlooked by the majority of gamers.

's how it goes :sigh:

16. Wozzname

Wozzname Some random guy

I would love a re-vamped version of the Jedi Knight series. I find the games prior to Jedi Outcast and Academy a bit too "blocky" these days. A graphical overhaul and some engine adjustments to bring them up to the same standard as the last two would be awesome. More would be even better, but I'd have to demand they'd do the same for Outcast and Academy then - provided they don't reduce how much control you have over your lightsaber.

Would also love to see Rome: Total War be re-made. Hopefully have more playable nations too without having to mess about with text in files. The Europa Barbarorum mod gave that game a big lease of life for me after I'd played it to death, but I want more again!

17. komm

komm What's a Dremel?

I'd love to see an updated Freelancer that was an amazing game with great multiplayer.
    And as blazza181 said an updated Rome: Total War, also Unreal and Roadrash they'd be superb.
    I dont know why the games developers dont do it as much, half the movies made are remakes why not reamke classic games although most of the remakes of movies are usually rubbish :/

18. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

Well, the main issue with remakes is, somewhere along the line, marketing get involved. And screw it up, asking for things to be added, which are totally unrelated to the original game.

Oh, and just discovered a massive Rome fan base. In my year. I might just have a lab party...:rock:

19. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

Like Dungeons, for example.

Oh, how I wanted it to be Dungeon Keeper born again.

"You need to build a lair for your creatures!"

But now all I need to build is a temple where I can sacrifice Realmforge's flawed effort.

Although to be fair this was never billed as a proper remake.

20. Crackdown_uk

Crackdown_uk What's a Dremel?

In no particular order;

Quake
    Elite
    Dungeon Keeper
    Hired Guns
    Worms (the latest batch of remakes are flawed)
    Moonstone
    Shadow of the Beast
    Theme Park
    Cannon Fodder