1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Good cooler for i5 2500k and MSI P67A GD53?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by maximus09, 13 Sep 2011.

1. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

Just upgraded my system with i5 2500k and looking for a good cooler.

I currently have a Titan Fenrir which is compatible with the socket BUT it has to be mounted vertically (extracting upwards) instead of horizontally :(

The problem with this is putting the exhaust fan in the roof of my Define R2 increases the noise output by about 50%! My computer now sounds like an aeroplane!

I thought for a while maybe the fan had increased in speed but it seems that it is simply because there is now two exhaust areas that are open to the elements instead of having the sound reducing material in the roof exhaust slot.

The other problem is that the Titan now covers the first RAM slot, and as I have a 4gb stick of Corsair Vengence (which is quite tall) this has to go in Slot 2.

SSOOO I'm looking for a cooler that can be mounted horizontally while not blocking the RAM slots on my MSI P67A GD53 board. I have heard that the Thermaltake Frio and the Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro; both restrict the RAM slot, so I was looking at a water cooling kit such as the Antec Kuhler 620 or Corsair H60 but how do these fair against the 2 air coolers?

Can anyone give any advice? I also want to overclock to at least 4.5ghz and keep it quite cool.:clap:

Edit: looking at the Dark Rock Advanced it also seems to cover the first RAM slot :(

Last edited: 13 Sep 2011
  2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Shouldn't memory be in the 2nd and 4th slots from the socket anyway to enable dual channel mode?

As for the Titan Fenrir, can it definitely not be oriented the correct way? I was under the impression 1155 and 1156 had the same mountings.

3. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Yes for dual channel but it sounds like he only has a single 4Gb stick?

4. noizdaemon666

:wallbash: I assumed he meant more than one stick lol but anyway, it should still be in the 2nd slot from socket shouldn't it? Ideally I mean.

5. GrandeP

GrandeP What's a Dremel?

After reading/watching reviews of the Corsair H80 I would say that is a good "cooling" system without fiddling with coolant and bleeding etc etc. It's only £69.99 too :)

6. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

Hey guys, thanks, I tried to mount it horizintally but it clashed with the heatsink on the mobo, so had to mount it vertically.

Is it supposed to be in the 2nd slot? Anyway it is only 1 stick. But if it is supposed to be in the 2nd and 4th slot and not the 1st and 3rd then I will change it.

Anyway any ideas on air coolers that don't clash with any of the slots OR the best water cooling kit that will give me the best performance with quiet operation?

7. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

I have the same mobo and CPU. I was incapable of thinking for myself so I get a Be Quiet cooler as recommended in the Hardware buyers guide. Nice cooler (a bitch to attach though) which takes in air from the front of the case ans spits it out the back right into my rear exhaust fan (Define R3).

The cooler does cover the first DIMM slot but the moutning doesn't (just checked the manual for dual channel slot 1 and 3 need to be occupied) but the fan is oriented the way you want it.

8. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Gelid Tranquillo.

9. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Doesn't matter which two as long as it is 1&3 or 2&4.

10. Simon Poole

Simon Poole What's a Dremel?

If you're really worried about it not fitting over the RAM slots, then get one of Zalman's "flower" shaped coolers such as the 9900MAX.

11. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

Thanks Bede! What are your temps on idle and load with this? And is your i5 2500k OCed?

12. Stonerd

Stonerd The monkey's out of the bottle, man

I use the H60...despite a step up in price, really quite worth it, I can push my 2500k to 5Ghz at pretty steady temps. Idle I sit around 30-33 and load it pushes to around 60, highest it's ever gone is 76 and that was for exactly 3.8sec at 100% cpu stress test.

13. noizdaemon666

+1 to getting something like a H60. Question, is it the heatsink part of your cooler which clashes with the heatsink on your motherboard? Or is it part of the mounting bracket?

14. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

its actually the bracket, it physically wont fit for a horizontal mounting believe my i tried, but fits fine for vertical! Even the instruction booklet with the Titan Fenrir shows a vertical mounting for the 1156 socket.

Yea the H60 looks good, but I have read a few reviews now on the H60 Vs the Kuhler 620 and the 620 seems to be coming out on top simply because it is quieter, has more flexible hoses, has a thinner rad and still is within 1 degree of the H60.

I also read there are some problems with the H60 mounting, sometimes the contact is not good depending on the mobo.

The thing is, the H60 block looks 100 times better than the 620, and I don't like the "swivel lock" mounting mechanism of the 620, surely this will smear the TIM.

I might end up going with the H60 and just replacing the fan with a quieter one such as the Skythe Gentle Typhoon.

15. noizdaemon666

I had trouble fitting my Fenrir to my MSI board. I sawed off what I assume was the AM3 mounts and it fitted perfectly :D You may want to do the same to aid airflow? Up to you though.

16. Stonerd

+1 This is what I did (shouldve mentioned earlier) except I replaced it with an Akasa Apache but I can't recommend the h60 enough.

17. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

aaaahh hhaa! Its the AM3 mounts that get in the way of the mobo heatsink, those silly little pertruding holes on the bracket! Good idea sawing those off!! However I don't think I will be bothered with that and just by a new one :dremel::nono:

I had reserved myself to buying the 620, but I'm thinking again about the H60. What are your temps and overclock? And did you have any trouble mounting?

18. noizdaemon666

I would have bought a different one myself but a lack of funds and an unwillingness to be beaten by a piece of metal urged me to get the saw out lol

19. Stonerd

Mounting was easy, really easy in fact, as for overclock and temps :read: :read: :read:

20. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Tbh I wouldn't trust my temps as I didn't have anything to remove and reapply the TIM when I got my new mainboard and old CPU back from Scan. However here they are from my memory:

Idle: 31C
    Load - I really can't remember, but not at all high.

The bit-tech review is a much better thing, as it takes into account the ambient room temp

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2010/01/20/gelid-tranquillo-cpu-cooler-review/1