1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony announces PS Vita battery pack

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 Sep 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mecha.

mecha. Newbie

Hang on... So they havent actually released the device yet... but they are allready working on an external battery pack... and this is a major entertainment company we are talking about... im confused :/

3. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

The battery life isn't my main concern - it's the idiotic proprietary storage format.

4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

So they give you an "incomplete" battery then sell you a "DLC" battery pack?

I have a feeling consumers are now being pimped by corporates.

5. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I see where your coming from but if the full battery pack doesn't fit inside the machine I don't see any other option. I would rather this solution than none at all.

6. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

If that is a solution in your eyes, my goodness...

This is a workaround that you have to pay for, if it was free then yes solution, but since it probably won't be free... a device claiming to be portable that needs to be plugged in a lot should be a flop.

7. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I think its a problem that's beyond sony's control. Battery technology is stagnant and while component power usage is down while performance up, its still a job to balance between performance and battery life. Maybe battery tech will improve enough for a battery swap in a few years but until then this is a less than perfect solution. After all, how many business men carry spare laptop or phone batteries?

8. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

This just indicates that the battery life on a PS (Ry)Vita is shocking.
    I mean, how long is the flight from New York to San fransisco? 4 Hours?
    I would expect a modern gaming device to be able to provide 4 hours battery life as standard.

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I'd imagine that is a poor example but its not just the flight though is it, there is the journey to the airport, the waiting in the airport and then the plane itself.

10. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

They should have gotten the Perf/Power usage right from the start.
    4 hours of usage is pretty bad for a mobile gaming device.
    They should have spent a bit more on some better battery tech.

edit : Li-Ion is old tech nowadays.
    Lithium polymer could have been possible, as well as even newer tech.
    All i'm saying is why aren't we paying for quality tech, rather than off the shelf Telephone battery.

Last edited: 16 Sep 2011
  11. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

I don't get this argument at all. They have to balance battery life with cost, weight, performance and size. The included battery isn't gimped in some way so they can sell you an additional higher capacity battery. Its how it would have shipped. Considering the lifespan they expect these things to have its better they don't pullback on its hardware for the first gen devices. After all, the tech inside will get more efficient overtime.
    Battery's haven't advanced much and we demand more and more from our devices. While I agree 3 hours doesn't cut it for a so called portable device this is a nice compromise.

I think the same way about phones too. I would like the option of an OFFICIAL extended battery, especially on the Xperia play!

Eggy likes this.
  12. Narishma

Narishma What's a Dremel?

Am I the only person who doesn't see anything wrong with the 3 to 5 hours of battery life? I mean, it's the same amount as the 3DS, and my smartphone can't even last a couple of hours when playing games...

13. Plugs

Plugs Minimodder

Your not alone; I agree with your views.

14. Stonerd

Stonerd The monkey's out of the bottle, man

this - and considering the quality of games they are making available to a portable, i was kind of impressed

15. jelderkin

jelderkin What's a Dremel?

I love how companies create these devices where they actually need an additional battery pack wouldn't it make more sense to spend the extra money on improving the battery life for the product in question.

Might just be me but seems a lame way of improving battery life reminds me of those battery packs you used to get on the old gameboy colours lol

16. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

...lol.

17. rollo

rollo Modder

How can they improve battery life to the above, if you travel with a laptop for work a spare battery is a must this isn't anything new. Battery life has not improved for years.

Thrash your latest smartphone they will last 2-3 hrs , 3ds is 3-5 hrs as well

18. Rustypouch

Rustypouch What's a Dremel?

I am not really bothered, 3-5 hours is fine. Cannot see me splashing out extra for a battery pack either. On a long haul flight, this could present a problem, but I do not fly long distances frequently enough for this to be a problem. If you are a frequent flyer and you plan on spending 3-5 hours (plus how ever long the Battery Pack lasts if your were to buy one) playing your PSV on the plane, then yes problem. A couple hour long sessions would do for me.

19. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

For the quality it outputs, and the fact that battery tech has mostly remained stagnant (thanks to the vile oil companies that buy up promising battery tech and make it lead nowhere, according to at least a few sources) 4 hours is rather stunning.

20. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

You mean it doesn't provide better graphics than my gaming PC while also having a 20 hour battery life? QQRAGE.

At first this idea really surprised me, but on the second glance it seems pretty understandable. Just look at the Vita specs thread, people were talking about wanting a removable battery pack so they could carry spares. Not to mention the memories of "the old days" carrying spare AA batteries for long trips. Since the Vita battery pack isn't accessible it seems likely that they'll just take the normal Vita battery and plop in into a little black plastic case with a cord coming out to plug into your Vita and another little cord for plugging into a wall outlet. Boom, double battery life.

Tags: Add Tags