1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Deus Ex: Human Revolution gets in-game adverts

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 Sep 2011.

1. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

i`m bothered by his. I turn the sound off when the tv adverts come on, i`ve been increasingly annoyed at the adverts on all the video streaming sites. Im especially annoyed when I hire a video and then they give me LOADS of adverts at the start.
    There is certainly no way I`m going to want this. It`s starts off small and then starts to pervade the entire gaming universe. It starts small and "helps add realism" then it becomes product placement. I was going to buy deus ex when I built my new pc, now I`m not simple.

2. thil

thil What's a Dremel?

Agreed. But it's Eidos, who love nothing better than to manipulate reviews. It's similar to the Tomb Raider stunt they pulled a few years back, where they paid a PR company to try to cajole reviewers into delaying the release of the game's reviews by a month, so that any bad reviews were released too late for people to do anything about it.

I wonder if bit-tech'll changing the game's score? Thing is, reviewers often set themselves up for manipulation like this.

Personally, I do not like paying for people to try and sell me things.

3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I thought Eidos were always planning on putting adverts on the billboards in the game.

I bet they sold the advertising space, but then couldn't get the tech to work correctly in the game without resource problems, so they've had to come up with another solution. It's not pretty, but if it prevents Eidos from being sued then fair play.

They probably should have checked the in-game adverts would work before getting customers in though!

4. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Oh dear... patches are not free and never are. When you invest in a product, you expect support for when things go tits up. If there is a fault with the product it is up to them to correct the fault.

Why when they have DLC on the way do they think it's ok to soak some ads into their games? Is it a sign they don't expect the DLC to do well?

5. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Well, they can't, because I'm not going to buy it! They're completely powerless to do anything to me at all.

6. Yorkie

Yorkie Minimodder

Why would they change the score on the game, when the actual game has not changed ? you don't review loading screens..

7. Glix

But you can take away points from a game with long loading times and annoying adverts. ;)

8. Yorkie

Yorkie Minimodder

Whilst I have to agree that you can mark down on long loading times, I assume this would have no doubt been taken in to account on the initial review.

9. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

This.

Also; just because there is advertising doesn't mean that I'm going to run lemming like to the shops and make a purchase.

10. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

"- A crash on startup when running DX11 on a single-core CPU has been fixed"

struck me as rather odd, I wonder how many people with a single-core CPU can even attempt to run the game in DX11 mode?

11. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

You can not really compare the two. The ads in Blade runner were not for real products, no-one paid for them to be placed there, and they did not appear after you had bought and watched the film through once/twice/etc on DVD/Blu ray/digital download. They were fun and added to the realisim.

The ads in DE:HR however are for real products, that someone has paid Eidos to include and that appeared after I had bought and paid for the game. They were sneaked in when fixing issues with the original game. I'd much preferr ads that hinted at more of the game worlds settings, like product or recruitment adds for stuff that would fit in the DE universe.

Now it is questionable how much or how little they affect the actual game but this is really about the underhandedness of Eidos/Square Enix, they are trying to get more money out of a single sale item, it's like the prospect of getting away with charging for DLC now is not enough. The more we allow them to do this the more it will happen and each time they will push it just a little bit more until we are in the situation that the film industry is at; far too much product placement.

12. Glix

Yes Hard Reset uses this time to give you story, so instead DE:HR does what?

13. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I understand you have principles, but I think you are off the ball on this one.

They don't impede for a start. I haven't noticed them yet. I'm reading the story recap.

Essentially though, whilst I agree with the point that I don't want it interupting, I do think you are missing part of a larger picture. The gaming industry as big as it is, needs more cash injections. If a developer knows they can secure more funding there is less pressure on them. This will mean, devs know the game has to be good as it will generate more future revenue for them, meaning that with ever increasing budgets it makes more sense not to compromise on their promises or the potential. It could make the difference for smaller studios the most too.

So, to recap, I agree. I don't want intervals that break up my gaming and suspense of disbelief. But you are, in my opinion, making yourself a gaming pariah and martyr for perhaps illconsidered reasons.

14. Yorkie

Yorkie Minimodder

Loads the game, shows a few images and tips which you don't have to pay attention to....:rolleyes:

15. The Hooded Claw

The Hooded Claw What's a Dremel?

Adding to the realism, let's hold on to that thought. My comparison here was a direct artistic one between a movie about a dystopian future and a game about, well a dystopian future.

At the end of the day, throwing toys skyward because of what appears to be an unobtrusive (as it stands with the loading screen pic) is rather excessive. Even if billboards advertised real world items, you don't have to stare at them. I'm sure I would still enjoy Fallout 3 / Vegas if the billboards advertised Mr Kipling's finest instead of Fancy Lad's.

I don't know if ads in DE were announced beforehand, if they were then maybe some more attention should have been paid. If they weren't then it is certainly a little underhand.

But it's actual impact on the game is negligible, the characters don't break character and try to sell you goods like in 1950's shows - "When I'm hacking security systems I need reliable hardware, so that's why I chose Apple products". (Yeah I'm goading the haters a bit there...)

If the ads on loading screens bother you, use that tie to grab a can of Cuke...

16. Glix

So your opinion = fact... :duh:

Here's a thought, gaming is subjective :idea: therefore if someone doesn't like an aspect of it they are entitled not to like it and don't need you to tell them what is negligible...

17. The Hooded Claw

No my opinion is my opinion. You opinion is yours. Should I not voice my opinion because it bothers you?

18. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here, but it appears to come down to the idea that the studios making more money will encourage them to create better games.

This is fatuous on so many levels that it practically represents a singularity of thoughtlessness, but I'll limit my response to: thankyou, Ayn Rand.

Two of the most commercially successful titles at the moment are Modern Warfare and Call of Duty, both of which are meritless bilge of the highest order. Care to revise your thesis?

19. Glix

You used words like negligible and state it as a fact rather than say "my opinion is", so...

20. The Hooded Claw

Ah, so there's the particular rub. Of my whole post you pick up on the one sentence which was emotive rather than a guarded "if this is the case then...".

How does an ad on the loading screen affect gameplay? If it does change the way the game plays, then I shall renounce my own use of that word.

Maybe I wrote my reply with a little too much humour (it's there for those who are willing to look). Maybe (for your benefit) I should have written "Herein lies an opinion". Wait a minute, an opinion on an internet board!? Somebody call the semantics police.

But I note that I also did not use the word "fact", and that is one.

A fact that is.

But I'm done with this so you can claim win if you like.

I'm off to buy some cakes I saw mentioned somewhere...

Tags: Add Tags