1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Halion Design [FINISHED] final product photos

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by sebpruiz, 20 Jul 2011.

1. sebpruiz

sebpruiz What's a Dremel?

The main reason for brushing the aluminium was to get rid of all the horrible scratch marks and dents that were on the aluminium. I am also planning on spray painting the aluminium- sanding the aluminium first makes this much easier.
    The window still has its blue protective film in place, but I do agree with you, it does need a bit of work at the moment.:naughty:

2. Stark.Jr

Stark.Jr What's a Dremel?

The window did destroy the clean look i think, but i as long as you think it look good you shoud be happy :D
    and im a dude that are inlove in brushed finish and that is awesome and looks so good :)

//s.Jr

3. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

How about making the window shape the same as the end on profile of the case? With such a small unit i do think the window is needed just to show how it's all crammed in there :thumb:

4. avolla

avolla Mini Water Modder

Looking good. Keep up the good work and let me know when you get to the point of working with the hackintosh. I have the Rampage III Extreme and want to put mac on it.

5. rayson

rayson Damn sure it was legal

art

6. rayson

rayson Damn sure it was legal

just a thought you could try making the window corners rounded

7. sebpruiz

Hi rayson! I would have made the corners rounded but with my jigsaw I felt that it would all go horribly wrong if I tried, If I had a spare piece I probably would have gone for it! but thanks for your suggestion!

I haven't done an update in a while, however here is a bit of a MEGA update. I finally got down to it in the weekend and cut the front and back bits of acrylic. Unfortunately half way through putting it back together I ran out of screws so another pack is on its way!
    I've got hold of a DSLR from a friend so hopefully the photos (although resized) should look a bit more stunning.

[​IMG]
    :duh: Something has got to be done about this label, can't have it upside down forever :wallbash: I'm afraid to tear it off though. I mean, what if my beautiful Corsair label rips??!

[​IMG]
    The cable snaking away through the photo is for the arduino that is connected to the LCD display at the front.

[​IMG]
    For those Arduino lovers, front row seats!

[​IMG]
    If anyone out there has an ATI hd Sapphire 4850 card, you will probably have heard the tiny 5cm fan whirring away. Problem solved!:naughty: Arctic F9 fan stuck on it instead. (it looks a little lobsided in the photo, need to sort that one out). I'm feeling very tempted on making myself a little cover for the graphics card out of spare bits of acrylic, I'll give it a go at some point and see how lit looks.

[​IMG]
    If you can make out the text, the computer isn't that hot (thankfully) its just reading an analog pin with nothing connected, I will be hooking up temperature sensors soon, but I only have one at the moment so I will need to get some more because they work quite well.

[​IMG]
    The other side! P4 connector hanging out. One thing with the corsair PSU that bugs me is they have wired up both the P8 and the P4 instead of the being modular so you'll always have one flying about the case unless you cut it.

[​IMG]
    Da da da daaa! (if only those were MDPC sleeved :baby: ;)

[​IMG]
    Acrylic separator to hid the lurid cables underneath! I need to do something with that 24pin connector #hint hint#.

[​IMG]
    harddrives! one Mac the other windows, perfect harmony :lol:

[​IMG]
    The REAR. The top hole is for the cables to pass out of, I am going to add some usb ports to the back otherwise I'll have rubbish reception with my wifi and bluetooth donglelys

[​IMG]
    Attempting some creative photography.

[​IMG]
    and another, maybe I'll play around with some photos in photoshop, see if I can make anything worthwhile.

Thats all for this update!

Last edited: 19 Sep 2011
  8. Raiden

Raiden Portuguese reviewer

good work, one question was it inspired in ft 02? looks like a mini version of it.. keep up the good work!:hehe:

9. sebpruiz

Thanks Raiden! That's what I was thinking of! I had a nagging feeling it was from one of Silverstone's products :D

[​IMG]

10. sebpruiz

Arduino fan control support!

Quick update.
    I will be using the arduino as a fan controller, so here is the circuit I've made on a breadboard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. DeltaFX

DeltaFX What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 25 Sep 2011
  12. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Your hardware is looking pretty comfy in there :)

13. sebpruiz

Thanks for the advice DeltaFX. the little circuit I made in the photo controls the fan through the 12v dc only, not as I would have liked to have done it, through pwm. I'm a bit of a noob when in electronics so I'm doing this by using the basics. :idea: When programming the arduino I can alter the fan speed by deciding how fast it should turn the circuit, on off on off... I'll then translate that as a percentage. 0% being offffffff... and 100% being on only. Maybe for my next project I could have the fans controlled by pwm!

Thanks Razer2007!!! always appreciated! :lol:

14. DeltaFX

DeltaFX What's a Dremel?

You are already using Pulse Width Modulation :thumb: The thing is, external pwm like you designed it sometimes mess with tacho sensor, an make fans buzzz.

More there http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1262443126/all

Nice work !

15. sebpruiz

It's finished!!! (well, almost). I hope that the photos will do the talking, maybe a bit too many photos... but here goes!

PHOTO TIME! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Firing it up... Blue blue blue. There is a cold cathode tube beneath the window which lights up the insides but its not very visible with the camera.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oops, fingerprints everywhere!! I really need to run a cloth over the aluminium. The acrylic at the front and the back keeps attracting dust, its a bit of a nuisance but not that much of a problem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Images in the dark above, I wasn't sure if I should upload them... I think you can just make out what is says on the display.
    I have better res photos if anyone would like them!

16. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Lovit. Looks nice.

17. sebpruiz

Sorry about kind of revisiting a nearly dead post... but I got a camera which isn't crap and I was trying some fancy stuff with lighting (yes I'm still a n00b at photography), but I'll show them anyway. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats all for now ;) but I want to put som potentiometers in the front as well because they're awesome!

18. avolla

avolla Mini Water Modder

have you though about counter sinking the holes a little so that your bolts are flush with the panels? helps give a cleaner look and feel to the case. otherwise really good job man. let me know how the hackintosh conversion goes.