1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Battlefield 3 recommended specs only good for medium settings

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 23 Sep 2011.

1. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Well dependant on how the Beta is for me depend's on if I buy the game or not, simply because I hate playing unbalanced games where 1 team has a advantage over the other in regard's to weapon's.

Other than that they kept the same spawn raping system from BFBC2 in the Alpha which I hope has changed because that is another issue with the Battlefield games for me.

If they have sorted that out then I will buy the game ready for when I have saved for my monster rig.

2. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

This is very interesting.

The frostbite 2 engine is apparently better optimised, but the statements by Dice suggest you need a ridiculous rig to run it. So which one is it? More efficient or more demanding? Or are the visuals going to be SOOO much better than anything we've seen before?

Also, I don't think I am that bothered. If I have to ramp down the settings on my 5870 to play it smoothly, imagine how nice it will be when I upgrade and can ramp them up again.

My first ever PC had a 7600GT in it, and I was playing BF2142 on medium.
    When I got my 8800GT, I upped everything and got that "new game" feel. I felt like my money had been spent on something really good.

Since then, every GPU I have bought has not changed the way a game looks. Its just ensured I can play the latest games. It will be quite nice to get that "look how good this new card makes everything look" feel again.

3. stoff3r

stoff3r What's a Dremel?

I'm glad it's demanding.

Time to up that Q6600 and 4870 :) Which is worse of the two if I have to choose between system or gpu upgrade?

4. gogzyhutch

gogzyhutch What's a Dremel?

Now I can justify upgrading from my GTX 480 to a nvidia "Kepler" GPU when they are released early next year :D

5. gogzyhutch

gogzyhutch What's a Dremel?

GPU definitely

6. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995.html

"Closing Thoughts

Frankly, there haven't been any revolutionary developments in the fields of frame rate consistency and micro-stuttering, even though we have seen improvements from Nvidia's drivers. At this point, neither competitors can claim to deliver a 100% stutter-free gaming experience with two GPUs working cooperatively."

Sauces please people!

7. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

I can't believe the amount of whine from "enthusiasts" and "PC Gamers".

You have always needed to spend considerably more on a PC to max games out than on a console - I thought this was a given since day 1?

Also, God forbid you need decent hardware to run the latest games? - Again, I thought this was a given? When has it ever been different?

The original Crysis was applauded for it's graphical splendour all those years ago, and PC gamers laughed at the lack of accompanying console port feeling haughty and privileged even when no-one's computer could actually play it at its' best - regardless of hardware config at the time.
    Now here we have something similar, but the game will actually be playable at it's maximum settings on current generation hardware, why is it being met with such disdain?

Fair enough, many may not have seen it as being quite this demanding, but at least we've been given a month's warning to put some cash aside for a few day-zero upgrades after this months pay and given this comes out about October standard monthly payday, a bit then too?

Luckily, I (and others, I'm sure) had anticipated this, and have budgeted accordingly.
    A little sad of me? - Yes
    But will I be happy on release day? - Definitely.

TSB

8. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

I was always resolved to upgrading my graphics card for BF3 but now I am really glad I did not jump the gun for a GTX 570 or HD 6970, which is my price range. When this is out I need bit-tech to run a benchmark STAT.

Somewhat annoying that it appears no next generation graphics hardware will be released before BF3.

9. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Micro stutter is my third worst enemy after vsync and tearing but i have never seen any with my 570s, whereas my 260s would do it all the time and make me rage

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

10. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

no stuttering with my CF 5850's :)

11. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Yes, it is! :rock:

12. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Update as of 34 minutes ago - Johan Andersson (repi) confirmed the recommended specs are for High, not Medium - linky

13. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Good! Finally my overclocked GTX 480's @ 785 and in SLI/under water will get a workout!

Bring it on! Better look good! Crysis on Max detail always played well, but Iv'e played it to death. I've not yet installed my copy of Crysis 2, so this could be one for my Birthday/Xmas list

14. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

so.. id need tri-SLi GTX480s?... wtf

15. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

So from 560 Ti for high settings to 2x580 for ultra? That's one hell of a jump!

Re: microstutter, personally I've never used an SLI system so can't comment from personal experience. But to spend £800+ on graphics cards and not have an absolutely perfect experience....meh. I'd want a 6 dimensional experience never mind 3!

16. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

for some reason this actually makes me a little glad that I will first be able to play this around Christmas as I will know what hardware to upgrade XD

17. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I used to follow Daniel Matros on Twitter, and am now refollowing him after a hiatus from Battlefield BC 2 lol

He tends to be honest with what he says on twitter and have conversations with him in the past with others on a chat room run by a guy in the states. Daniel and a Designer from Dice both frequented the chat room.

I'm not suprised by the revelation, but I wont be paying an extra £100 on my build just because it's suggested you need it for Ultra and definately wont be buying two 580's. Though I'm tempted to SLI 570's OC'd but I will wait and see what people say about ultra visuals before I even think about it.

18. Coach

Coach What's a Dremel?

It's about time someone pushed things forward. Consoles have held things back for years.

19. wayner1374

wayner1374 What's a Dremel?

I'm not going to be able to run on ultra @ 2560x1440 and even if I could afford another 580 there's no room on my motherboard as the asus matrix takes up three slots

20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Haha so it will need a beast of a gaming rig :D well ultra settings won't be for me, not getting a 2nd 580 just for 1 game, maybe I would for a stupendously good new GTA game but not an army shooter but it's definitely good news for those already with beasting rigs :D.

Tags: Add Tags