1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V DVI to HDMI with audio

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by krunedog2, 23 Sep 2011.

1. krunedog2

krunedog2 What's a Dremel?

Hi,

Need some advice please. I am trying to link up my PC to my TV to take advantage of SKY go and a few other online feeds with my TV.

At the moment I have a dated GPU, 8800GT, which I don't think supports the audio through the DVi. However I have been looking around the net and am led to believe that newer ATI cards may support this feature.

With BF3 around the corner I would love to make an upgrade that could help both these little problems (may also help to convince the wife its worth it!)

Any body have any knowledge on this? would the 6870 be a good choice?

Thanks for any help/advice.

2. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

DVI does not support audio

Is the TV 720p or 1080p ?

A 6870 is a decent GPU and does support HDMI output with audio too.

For your 8800GT to work you would ned to use an audio cable out of some sort from your soundcard like a digital co-ax or optical S/PDIF

3. saspro

saspro IT monkey

4. krunedog2

Thanks for quick reply.
    The TV is 720p 42" Samsung. Figured I would need another cable for my current setup.

I have bought a DVI to HDMI cable and can get the tv to be my monitor. If I bought the new gpu would the same cable do the sound to? think I will have to buy another cable HDMI to HDMI?

For the same price range (upto £140) what GPU would you guys recommend?
    With BF3 and my current monitor res 1440 x 900 in mind.
    Thanks again

LennyRhys likes this.
  5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Yes it does - I connect my PC to my HDTV all the time with just a DVI cable and a DVI-HDMI adapter.

@krunedog2, as for a new GPU, the suggestions you'll get in that price range are a GTX460 or an ATI 6870. :thumb:

6. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

You can't use a DVI cable for HDMI output (without an adapter), you would need a regular HDMI cable.

The nvidia GTX460 is often recommended for that kind of price range.

7. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Where are all these facts coming from lol? Our bluray player is connected to the Bravia via a DVI-HDMI cable plus an adapter for the DVI end (the cable cost £1 compared to a £25 HDMI cable) and it works perfectly.

DVI and HDMI are very similar; all it takes is an adapter and bam! DVI becomes bona fide HDMI.

8. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

DVI doesn't have audio as part of the standard, that's HDMI. If you connect a DVI cable to an HDMI output it will carry the audio. Perhaps some graphics cards will output HDMI directly out of a DVI connector, I'm not certain.

9. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

teppic you are correct, DVI as it is doesn't support audio, but it does support HDMI audio (confusion abounds) :D

As for the last part of your post, I don't follow: HDMI is an interface, not a signal, so DVI cannot "output" HDMI.

10. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

I was saying the same really. What I meant is that if you connect a DVI cable (via an adapter) to an HDMI connector, you get HDMI audio. But if you connect a DVI cable to a DVI connector, you shouldn't -- except some graphics cards that support HDMI may provide audio directly on the DVI connectors too.

LennyRhys likes this.
  11. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

That's exactly it - since 2008, DVI has been able to output an HDMI-compliant AV signal. I actually discovered entirely by accident that my GPU also sends audio via the DVI outputs; I was a happy bunny that day. :D

12. krunedog2

Ok, thanks for all your thoughts.
    Would you consider/trust this website/card. Looks like a great price and free delivery.

13. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

after researching this a bit it looks like AMD and Nvidia tweaked ! the DVI spec so it can carry audio over DVI from a GPU providing you use an DVI to HDMI adapter (as TV would not recognise the audio from the DVI pins)

So while technically DVI does not support Audio new modern GPUs can support audio over DVI provding an adapter is used to change it to HDMI so the audio pins match up with the TV etc.