1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards M/Board automatically boots up

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Espie79, 25 Sep 2011.

1. Espie79

Espie79 What's a Dremel?

Hi all,
    I am having an issue I believe with my motherboard. Basically, as soon as I turn the switch on my PSU to on, the computer starts up without pressing the power button. It wasn't doing this before but now every time I turn on the PSU it boots up.
    The PSU is new, it is a Thermaltake XT 675w and I have disconnected everthing from the motherboard except the CPU and fan. No idea what is going on. Hopefully someone can help.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Basically the PSU causes a power spike that jolts the board into powering on. Or maybe there's a case short.
    Q: why do you switch the PSU off at the back?

3. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

A: Because he can't turn it off at the front of the case? lol

Anyway, yeah, check for any shorts between case and motherboard.

4. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Who turns the PC off from the front?

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

There's usually a BIOS setting to dictate what happens when power is restored after a power cut. One option is power on. So basically, if you switch off the PSU at the back, when you switch it back on the machine is assuming there's been a power cut, power is now restored, so it boots up.

Check your BIOS. My Asus P6 had it, and my current Gigabyte piece of crap has it as well.

It's not really necessary to switch off the PSU though.

6. Espie79

Espie79 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for all the comments. Couldn't work out the problem so I put a different motherboard in and problem solved. I don't usually turn the PSU off but I was testing my setup and installing parts.

7. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Glad it's sorted.... but it was probably the BIOS restore power settings, and there was nothing wrong with the board.