1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Amazon launches new Kindles and Kindle Fire

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 29 Sep 2011.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. justicefornone

justicefornone What's a Dremel?

Have to admit, the Fire actually looks like what I want in a tablet. Hoping to hear more about it (and a UK pricing and release date), however it really does look quite intriguing.

The other ones, not so much however!

3. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Im interested!
    Love my Kindle, and the pricing for the Kindle Fire looks very very apealing...

4. TheLegendJoe

TheLegendJoe Syntax error

I also think the Kindle Fire looks quite good, if I was in the market for one I'd definitely consider it but with a desktop and a smart phone I really don't see the need.

5. Fujukami

Fujukami What's a Dremel?

Very happy with my 3rd gen Kindle. The Fire might be interesting as tablet but not as a reader, only if color e-ink tech is involved.
    As for that touchscreen kindles, can't say I love the idea, the smudges you can get on the screen will make yer head hurt!

6. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Does the Fire have Flash? Flash Fire?

7. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

love my kindle not sure I need to upgrade - but nice releases....

personally I dont want or need a tablet - my phone is fine.... I would have bought them for mothers/grandmothers though if and only if it worked with skype and had camera - it doesn't - so I wont.

8. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

took that idea from onlive.. pretty cool

9. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

I really love the way the kindle touch looks, love the simplicity that its literally just a screen with nothing else.

I'd buy one in a heartbeat as well as buying a kindle fire, tablet + e-book reader for less than the cost of an ipad? Where do I sign?

Fair enough the kindle touch's on screen keyboard wont be the fastest in the world due to e-ink refresh technology but I'm pretty much always near a computer / my smartphone if i need to search the amzon store to find a book I can do it there

Shame amazon are being colossal cocks and not releasing the touch or fire in the ukch or fire in the uk

10. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Somehow managed to double post and quote myself :S

11. Huge

Huge aka Dave

I believe that is down to copyright issues in the UK, they are trying to work out a solution and as soon as that happens you should expect to see them in the UK quite quickly!

12. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I've already preordered the new baby kindle(yesterday). Was hoping for the fire to be released in the UK though.

13. Psy-UK

Psy-UK What's a Dremel?

There is no ad-supported UK version. We only get the US $119 version san adverts.

14. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

It's more likely the lack of cameras, large flash memory, I/O connectors, Bluetooth and 3G that make it cheap. It still has a TI chipset with a dual-core Cortex-A9 which doesn't count as cost-cutting at all!

15. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

A bit disappointed. I have the 3rd gen 6" Kindle and I would have a liked a somewhat larger 7-8 inch display.

As for the Kindle Fire I do not understand people who can live with 7" tablets. I find my 10" Xoom to be just a bit too small for my liking. For me, a 7" tablet would only be useful as a tv remote, or to control music/lightning in my room. I couldn't image myself browsing the web with such a small tablet. It's too large for a pocket and yet if I have a backpack with me I would always have room for a larger 10" version.

16. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

im with you, i got a zte blade it has a 3.5" screen its not very powerful (600mhz) but has the perfect screen size for watching vids and runs internet very well for the price

17. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Hmm, I've not found the page buttons anything other than convenient on the 3rd gen Kindle. I can understand dropping the keyboard as I rarely use it but it is handy occasionally to look something up on the web. Definitely not keen on the touch screen version though but I'm so conditioned not to touch the screen that I doubt I'll ever like the idea. The pricing for the Fire looks good, as does the spec, but it's the whole touch screen issue.

@Picarro: One of my brothers has a 7" Galaxy because it fits neatly in a jacket pocket, no bag necessary, but has a larger screen than a smart phone. Another carries a man bag with a 10" iPad 2 all the time. I prefer the former option to the latter but have no need for a tablet, I only want to read my books on the go, my Kindle fits the same criteria - it fits neatly inside my jacket pocket so I don't need to carry a bag as well. Horses for courses mate, if I have to carry a bag I'd prefer something with a keyboard anyway.

18. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

you missed the fact that the kindle fire has an IPS screen :) major win.

19. 2bdetermine

2bdetermine What's a Dremel?

If you wanted your products to standout from the rest, why there is so much (upper, lower, left, right) wasted space on the devices look just like every competing tablet currently available.

20. BradShort

BradShort Familyman - Forever gamer

Its ergonomics. That "wasted" space allows users to handle and rotate the devices without catching the sensitive touchscreens. Slim bevel design is something you don't want on a tablet.

Tags: Add Tags