1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Possible virus? iexplore?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Black Tiger, 24 Aug 2011.

1. Black Tiger

Black Tiger Chineapple Punks

hey BT'ers having an issue with my computer

for the past few days my mouse curser has been constantly flicking up the "busy" circle every 1-2seconds

[​IMG]

can't seem to work out why it's doing it tho, ive tried limiting all my start-up apps through msconfig and no matter what it still does it.

I've also noticed in task manager that iexplorer is always running 2 processes, and eating up 7-10% CPU and 20,000-30,000k of ram, now i dont use internet explorer, always use firefox or chrome.

Also had a problem with svchost.exe eating around 15% cpu, and it was linked to windefend service, not having a problem with that as we speak tho, and havent got time to restart my pc to see if it happens again tho.

All this sounds like some sort of virus/malware/adware to me, ive done a full scan with AVG and it hasn't found anything.

has anyone got any ideas? or know of some software i should use?

thanks alot

BLACK-TiGER

2. Houndofhell

Houndofhell One Particle to Rule Them All

Have you heard of MalwareBytes? Visit their website download their free software, give it a run and see if it comes up with anything.

EDIT: If for whatever reason when you run malwarebytes and it fails to scan or won't start then you've almost certainly got a virus/malware, there are guides online about how to rename all malwarebytes main files, so it can side-step viruses stopping it.

Last edited: 24 Aug 2011
  3. Daedelus

Daedelus What's a Dremel?

Are the same processes still running after a reboot?

4. jossi007

jossi007 What's a Dremel?

1. Click Ctrl-Alt-Del and kill the iexplore processes. If it stops, than you know that that's the problem.
    2. Restart into safe mode and try a system restore to a date before the problem started.
    3. try malwarebytes anti malware in safe mode.

Hope this helps

5. short1uk

short1uk Minimodder

I saw this the other day on a machine. Even though IE wasnt open 2 instances of it where running in the back ground. After a while a message would pop up with an error saying IE couldnt connect to the site the machine wanted. Even though no IE had been opened on the machine (Well not by the user anyway)

Tried surfing on the machine and it kept redirecting to other sites...... virus scan failed at 2% every time too. Ended up reinstalling the machine as they needed the machine back asap.

Defo run Malwarebytes the full scan which can take some time so grab a drink and just wait for it to finish. Let us know how you get on.

Catherine

6. windy

windy What's a Dremel?

Like jossi007 said, boot into safe mode and run malwarebytes.

I've had a similar problem in the past and this should clear it. AVG picked it up but couldn't get rid of it but malwarebytes could. And it hijacks your internet connection and web browsing so don't do anything online until you've cleared it.

7. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

sounds like the system interupts issue

can you check the resource monitor and see if "system interupts" is using some resources.

8. AMDFTW

AMDFTW What's a Dremel?

look at geting stinger aswell that has sorted many issues for me that have been virus related.

9. Sarneus

Sarneus What's a Dremel?

Yes it is a virus, I forgot the name now, but I caught it last week too, no idea how because i'm very safe with my PC usage. Anyways like the others said Malwarebytes will fix it.