1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Why We Need Origin

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 6 Oct 2011.

1. Rahabib

Rahabib What's a Dremel?

this is a horrible analogy. Many people only use one or use an all-in-one program (Trillian, Pidgin, Digsby, etc.) If I actually had to install 3 different programs for MSN, AIM, GT - I would only use one and the others would be irrelevant. You see this with Facebook. Myspace died off because people didnt want 2 things that do the same thing.

There is one reason why Origin is good. It will either force competition for features or pricing with Steam (and Steam has a big headstart) or it will just solidify Steam as the predominant digital distribution monolith since even EA couldn't compete. EA better have a good encore to BF3 or its going nowhere.

2. dakkadakka

dakkadakka What's a Dremel?

I see bit-tech-net has a nice censorship.
    Something like "Great headline. But it ought to be "Why We Need Origin Without SPYWARE". Competition, monopoly, usual babble. Nothing about scanning our computers: files, network activity, browsing, emails... Surely it's just for our welfare." is inappropriate as a comment. Double post.:duh:

Last edited: 7 Oct 2011
  3. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

origin really isnt too bad. It is pretty much just like steam, from my experience I have got much faster downloads in origin too, dead space 2 when i got that free with BF3 pre-order, downloaded super fast, and when BF3 beta because available, it maxed out my internet speed.
    I dont agree that there is no competition for Valve, there is, it is called physical copies of games. It is even closer than that too, as you can order physical games from your home from amazon or play ect, I bet they still shift huge amounts of games.

Dont get me wrong I would LOVE to have seen BF3 on steam and I would have chosen that over origin. But if origin will make the actual game easier to manage, with free backups of my disks, then I will choose that over a physical copy.

4. Ratchet219

Ratchet219 What's a Dremel?

I like BF2 and I want to buy BF3, but I won't till they release it on STEAM. There is plenty of other good games out there so if EA going to force me into using ORGIN... Well let’s just say they will not be making a sale to this customer. It's the principle, but that's just me :)

5. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

It doesn't matter where you buy it from you will still have to use origin.

6. Ratchet219

Ratchet219 What's a Dremel?

Because of people like ^^ they get away with and forcing us do *** we don't want. So if u want game on STEAM why settle for ORGIN? Why settle for crap just because EA puts sprinkles on top. - personal opinion.

Siwini likes this.
  7. OmniXVII

OmniXVII What's a Dremel?

I don't care for Origin but I simultaneously want it to succeed to show Valve that their not the major digital distributor anymore. Gabe Newell is now assembling his team of portal-gun wielding ninjas to sabotage Origin and its affiliates.

8. Crossing

Crossing What's a Dremel?

Orgin is there so VALVe doesn't get sued for having a monopoly.

Siwini likes this.
  9. wiak

wiak What's a Dremel?

soo competition but where is the price war?, most games on origin is overpriced, its more like blackmale :p

online stores are still more expensive than brick stores even with shipping prices and all the greenhouse gasses it brings

its simple to know how much ea and valve profit from digital game sales, just look at amazon s3's price list and you get an idea of how much bandwidth and storage costs, both ea and valve have their own storage centers or use akamai/amazons3 or similar t
    http://aws.amazon.com/s3/pricing/

so there profit is like 75% and that excludes tax

10. mackhina

mackhina What's a Dremel?

Stop pretending EA is doing this for the benefit gamers. What a load of rubbish. People aren't stupid, they can see a wolf in sheeps clothing and hence the reason for the backlash from the public.

EA have never cared about their gamers. The one and only reason Origin was released was to make money.

EA is the company I'm worried about becoming a monopoly. If they cared about gamers and had that as their core business model it might be ok, but we all know they dont. They are a business and their focus is on their share value. Recent quotes from EA show their mentality.

EA CEO John Riccitiello:
    "...wants to see CoD "rot from the core."

EA Jeff Brown on Activision calling for a stop to hostilities:
    "Welcome to the big leagues Eric -- I know you're new in the job but someone should have told you this is an competitive industry. You've got every reason to be nervous. Last year Activision had a 90 share in the shooter category. This year, Battlefield 3 is going to take you down to 60 or 70. At that rate, you’ll be out of the category in 2-3 years. If you don't believe me, go to the store and try to buy a copy of Guitar Hero or Tony Hawk."

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/9675.html

11. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

It is utterly crap that I have to use a website to use my game. It is completely half ass that they didnt take the time to create a proper ingame menu. They have done great browsers in the past, so there is no excuse that they couldnt do it ingame with BF3.

Still, I also do not want multiple pieces of software that control my content. I either want it from one main client source that contains all your games, or simply installed from a retail disc with no need for a main client software to manage your title. There is a reason I use all-in-one software for my chat programs, so i dont have multiple things running. So I do not want multiple game clients running either. I want my Steam as my client, and only client.

As a game reviewer I did have a GfwL account to review a number of titles, will I ever use it again? No since I dont work for VGChartz anymore. And I uninstalled it the minute I was finished with the game. Did i enjoy using it on top of Steam? F NO. Would i want an origin account or its client wasting space on my SSD or HDD? F NO.

12. thil

thil What's a Dremel?

"The result is a service that, unchecked, is speeding towards a monopoly of the PC gaming digital distribution market, and it’s one that needs competition."

Steam's only that way by default - because *no one else cared about PC gaming or DD*. That's it. Everyone else was off trying to suck at the consoles' teats.

It's like someone saying "I'm sick of Bob's Bakery taking all the business selling bread, while I get no one buying my bread" when that someone *doesn't even sell bread at all*.

13. Venares

Venares What's a Dremel?

So Direct2Drive, GamersGate, GreenmanGaming and lord knows how many other digital distribution sites dont exsist to you then.
    What a load of crap. The only monopoly I can see here at the moment is EA / Origin by FORCING you to use there god awful platform.

14. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

They exist. That doesn't strip Steam of monopoly status. Maybe it is not monopoly in legal sense, but if you sell 90% of stuff then you are in fact a monopoly.

Can you play latest Modern Warfare without Steam ? Didn't they forced the "god awful platform" to poor physical media lovers, who hate the services like Steam ?

You don't like Origin, it is your right. But just because you don't like it does not mean that they (EA) don't have the right to do it, especially when in fact they are second to do this stuff - after games with Steamworks integration, which force Steam on any buyers of those games.

15. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

So you don't actually have any real arguments against Battlelog beyond "I don't like it". Pretty much like everyone else who's complained about it tbh. I've yet to see a single rational cohesive argument for why Battlelog is actually bad as opposed to simply different. And as for great in-game server browsers I think we'll have to agree to disagree. Great is the last word I'd use to describe the server browser included in Bad Company 2.

So basically everything should be done in a manner that suits what you want and everyone else should just live with it?

Yeah, that 107MB of space it takes up on a HDD and 60MB or so memory it use when loaded is a killer. I don't know how my computer remains usable when I have to waste such resources...

16. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Nope, just moderators who can't always be bothered trawling through hundreds of vacuous comments after a hard day living our lives. ;)

17. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    The author forgot about the social aspect, Steam is levels above Origin.
    Much better friends system, the same friends for all Steam games (unlike Origin friends and Battlelog friends), easy way to track friends games recommendations, share screenshots, etc.
    Nope. Several AAA games are not available in Steam.
    Thats doesnt mean that Activision, Ubisoft, etc dont try to lunch their own stores. All depends on how Battle.net, Steam and Origin behave.

18. Starlance

Starlance What's a Dremel?

As explicit as you would have never imagined, EA’s Origin license agreement states that the program is free to act exactly as spyware and that the only way to opt out of that is not to install or use it at all.

According to the service’s EULA, by installing the client program the user gives EA permission to identify his computer, operating system, installed/uninstalled software/hardware, and use that information for marketing purposes while merrily sharing it with third party companies.

19. Redd13

Redd13 What's a Dremel?

How can it be considered competution when the product can only be purchased from one source?
    If i were to buy a physical copy i would visit each shop and buy from the best retail. But if there is only one online source... they can effectively charge what they like. Steam has been successful not only because of its massive game list but because of its amazing pricing.
    Ive personally bought games again just to be able to cosolidate my library and throw away cd copies.

20. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Maybe in UK or US, but not elsewhere.

Tags: Add Tags