1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays I cant decide on which 24" LED monitor to go for

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jaseuk, 3 Oct 2011.

1. jaseuk

jaseuk What's a Dremel?

There's a few U2410's on ebay, are we allowed to link to ebay from this forum?

2. healthhazad

healthhazad What's a Dremel?

Btw jaseuk sorry for the hijack of your post but it seemed like we were both after similar things :)

Read that many reviews on the U2410 and it looks like it would be a great purchase. Time to sit with Excel and do some budget calculations!

Need to decide soon so I have time to save for Ivy Bridge (my next upgrade from an Athlon 64 X2... lasted me well but it really needs updating)!

3. slyBR1

slyBR1 What's a Dremel?

Hi dude, this is first time ive tried to write here. hope it gets to you. Just read all your stuff today. your info on the difference between displays was very useful. cheers. I noticed you wanted feed back on displays and im having some problems here. I just got a brand new custom rig. Im looking forward to skyrim and them dark caves.
    Problem is, i got the lg ips 226v last week. I think the picture quality, brightness, colour and viewing angles are brilliant. then i put crysis on and the the game starts off at night. and i'm glad it did. cause with in 1 minute i knew i couldn't keep the screen. the light bleed was terrible. I took it back, the company tested i, said it was faulty, gave me a replacment. I set that one up and its worse. i'm so gutted. Im sending it back tommorow. Ive got £220 to spend. i cant put up with light bleed cause of the games i enjoy and now ive seen ips i cant have anything else. can you suggest anything. I was thinking of trying the viewsonic vp2365wb.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Thank you on you feedback.
    After looking on the web yesterday (for something else) for more info on the LG IPS226, I see other people complain a lot about it, including uneven back light. And now with your experience. Something is differently wrong with it, and I'll put it under my not-recommended section.

Big thank you for your feedback! :thumb:

5. jaseuk

jaseuk What's a Dremel?

No problems mate.

6. joolz1

joolz1 What's a Dremel?

i think this 1 has very good spec for £155
    Viewsonic 24" VX2451MHP-LED Full HD LED Monitor

7. healthhazad

Just picked up a U2410 from Scan and so far liking it a lot :)

It certainly is big and my aim etc is a little off in games as mouse movements which had become reflex no longer line up but thats something that can change.

Impressed with the speed of the screen, so far not really noticed any ghosting though in a few games I was really bombing around.

Obviously its the first night so time yet to really get to know it.

Although the monitor comes calibrated, would you guys recommend any tools etc to ensure I am getting the best from it?

8. GoodBytes

The monitor has 2 pre-calibrated color profiles, but none of which is selected by default.
    To use them, select Adobe RGB or sRGB color profile. Use the one that you prefer the most.
    If you use Adobe RGB color profile, in Windows Color Management panel, be sure that Windows uses the Windows default sRGB color profile, and NOT the monitor color profile. Use the monitor one, if you are using sRGB color mode ON the monitor.

So in other words:
    Adobe RGB (on the monitor) -> Use Windows default color profile
    sRGB (on the monitor) -> Use the monitor U2410 that was installed via Windows Update

And that is all. If you do serious image editing, I would recommend to use sRGB, or read documentation on how to set up PhotoShop (or the image editor that you use) with Adobe RGB.

That is pretty much it. I use Adoeb RGB, if you wonder. But note, that I don't need pin point color accuracy. As long as it's close, I am happy, as I like colors.

P.S: If your monitor beeps like a microwave, you can disable button sound in the advance section of the monitor.

9. slyBR1

slyBR1 What's a Dremel?

THANKS FOR THE REPLY on the lg ips226v light bleed. you say there's must be something wrong with it. does that mean that ips displays dont normally suffer from this. I was thinking of getting the viewsonic vp2365wb. do you know if this suffers from light bleed.:thumb:

10. GoodBytes

PVA panel monitor and professional grade IPS monitors don't have back light bleeding (PVA better than IPS, always). But these aren't cheap monitors.

The best you can get today, is low back light bleeding. Possible not visible on low-med brightness, but a little visible on high settings. Back light bleeding on IPS doesn't affect colors.
    The higher end your monitor, the less back light bleeding you have, essentially.

But the general rule, is IPS panels even entry level one (with some exception like the LG one above), has significantly less back light bleeding than TN panels.

The reason for the back light bleeding is due to the technology problem of LCD technology, and the fact that you have a lamp on the back. White LED backlight monitor provide better blacks as the light source is at the bottom of the monitor and not directly on the back. The consequence of going white LED's, is that you loose "nice white", you get more of a bleu'ish white. Higher end the monitor, usually, the better the while LED's are, and provide better white.

So there is always back light bleeding to some level. If you want to eliminate at 100%, you need to go with OLED monitor (good luck affording that), or back to a CRT monitor.

11. slyBR1

slyBR1 What's a Dremel?

cheers bud. i dont mind what things look like. i'd prefer the quality to be there. i had a look on ebay to see if anybody where selling new crt monitors. they where all old and about $20. ha ha. do you know of any good one out there that are new models,and can crt even compete with todays technology on a overall scale.

12. GoodBytes

Like LCD's now, and anything, you have terrible CRT's (the ones that flickers like no tomorrow), and those who don't (high quality phosphor used in the tube (this is what keeps the light produce by the CRT as it draws every line). And the more wear the monitor has (time used), the less effective the phosphor it. Also the magnets looses their strength, which causes the image to deform. Some advance professional CRT has many options to try and adjust that, but most only have a handful of options (in the descent range). Most don't have anything.

I strongly suggest to take your time and view/test a CRT monitor before purchasing it.

13. slyBR1

slyBR1 What's a Dremel?

cheers. just looking at that dell u2410 at the moment second hand. i never knew how comlpicated a decision it could be to pick the right monitor for yourself. and its unbelievable hard to get good advise. people in main stream shops like pc world know less than me. the best advice they could give me is that all monitors are good at gaming and you should go for something that is HD. I asked if they had any ips ones and they didnt have a clue what i was thalking about. i found it easier to choose ever single component in my new custom rig than to choose a monitor

14. GoodBytes

Expertise and knowledge costs money. Stores hire mini-wage (or near that, but with no commission (usual recipe)). So who is willing to work? Mostly college under grads or grads (their first job, or desperately any job to pay school or something) that have no knowledge on anything, and are just being told by the manager or a brand representative what is good or not. And hire anyone that has a somewhat knowledge in computers. They don't have any training, or knowledge test. This includes overpriced (because you are not getting anything close to your money) tech services in big store.

When I worked in big store as sales/tech as a summer job. I was told what product to push on clients, no one knew what 'SATA' or 'chipset' or '64-bit' meant really, beside an abstract idea. And a as tech, even if I knew the solution to the problem, I was forced to use a instruction manual, to follow "proper procedures". The manual suggested stuff like, changing not related components to the problem, which forced the customer to cash out some serious money to fix their computer + The time I am on it (btw, I was still slightly above minim wage per hour) when it was stuff as a simple SATA connector busted, or dust blocking air flow.

We offered a costly services to customers who buys new computer, to "Clean" the computer from the junk it came with. Steps to do: Delete all desktop shortcuts that has been identified as crap (see manual for list), and delete all shortcuts of these programs in the start menu. Only if the customer choose to BUY an anti-virus, we can uninstall the trail one. The reason for this, was to "no break the computer". Also, recovery disk made, must be done before the ""clean up"".
    WOW, I think the client could have done that himself, he asked for service for PROPER job, because HE or SHE doesn't want to screw up his or her new computer by removing drivers or something by accident. I had enough I quit, I found a proper job after.

So yea.. that is what you get in retail stores, minimum wage paid people, 0 training in computers (as it costs money), and improper service. You have better chances in a corner street computer store, than big retail ones. Then again, due to revenue limitation, don't expect a small store order a fancy menshy monitor, "just to view it". Of course, if he doesn't like your face, he can screw you... but yea, that is life I guess.

15. slyBR1

slyBR1 What's a Dremel?

Yea. thats life and its rare to get a good customer service. there's alot wrong with the way countries are run and the they way companies are run. it all boils down to screwing the consumer out of as much money as they can, hiding behind legal document to protect there selves and leaving us let down and angry.

that lg ips226 i told you about. they never called me back when i complained, they still havent come to get it, they never turned up today. going to have to call tommorrow or monday now.

and like you where saying about big companies and no honesty. Advertised on the box was everything that was good about the monitor, but nothing about the model suffering from light bleed. i even found a mention about it in the bit tech reviews.

I dont understand why they would put a product out there like that with there logo on it.
    I dont know what you think of lg in your country. i heard you rate them like we rate samsung.
    1st and second best displays.
    I have two flat screen lg tvs and that monitor im sending back. ive never been that impressed with them like i have with the samsung i got stolen. but like everything i surpose its down to the model you buy and the price you pay.

anyway dude, i got work in the morning. good talking to you.:thumb:

16. GoodBytes

Really simple why they produce crap products, because you, the consumer, find that a quality monitors are way too expensive. So in order to get some funds (if the company, in this case LG, doesn't do it, then someone else will, and the consumer will buy the other brand monitor instead of theirs). As the monitor needs to be the cheapest as possible, and have some sort of profit to it, sever cut on quality, features, plastic, quality control, and designed with minimal engineering. If they re-use unused old panel manufacturing machine, they will, as it saves money as well.

Same with Dell in term of laptop and their desktops.. well even monitors. They have high quality products (Latitude, Precision, for example), which are a nice solid computers. But they also have very low end products like their Inspirons. Business section warranty service is a lot
    better than home, heck it's even local to your country during the business hours of the office where they are. For me, they are in Nova-Scotia, and Ontario. But, people look at the price of an Latitude or Precision, and looks at the price of a Inspiron, and they go "Same specs, similar size, Inspiron is a lot cheaper... I am buying the Inspiron, it's a better deal"... And then, of course, they complain on how Dell sucks.

But then again, everything is relative and subjective. I talk a lot about the U2410, but I am sure they are many professionals who sees the U2410 and say crappy it is. And how the pre-calibrated color profiles is barely passing as "calibrated", and how it doesn't have uniform back light illumination. Then again, professional grade monitor, start (today, and entry level) in the 1000-1500$ US/Canadian. for a 22-24inch.

I am sure many people by the LG ips226 and have no problem with it. They use Facebook and check e-mail once a week or so, and that is all they do. Maybe occasional use office, they don't care about these issue, the monitor was a good buy in their eyes (they are being told that IPS panels are great, and assume that all IPS panels are amazing, so seeing one at a ridiculous low price, they find it as a good deal.. or even an expensive purchased if their last monitor was an eMachine or Acer 80$ TN panel).

So basically, as long people buy these crap monitor, they will be always produced. People vote with their wallet. Many people are saying "I want junk pre-installed on my computer", "I want no OS disk and not even recovery disk with my system", "I don't care what, I want the lowest price computer with the highest specs possible, no mater the sacrifices.. I am just looking at prices and NOW, not tomorrow when it will break". And so on.
    I can't change the world, but if a change happens where people, like back in the old days, seek for quality products only, no mater the price, then maybe, just maybe, we might see computers back with a 2 or 3 year warranty minimum (no more 1 year warranty), better after sale service, better build, junk free computers, quality software provided, better monitors used for desktop and laptops.

I do know, that this is why Apple is gaining a lot of momentum at university students. It's expensive, but it's "problem free", mostly because of a greatly higher build quality. OS disk provided, nice slim and small power adapter, good battery life. Find me 1 brand that has all of this. I want to say: Dell Latitude E6400, which has all that, and 3 year warranty and bit cheaper, similar specs (at the time) than the MacBook Pro, including ambient light sensor and back light keyboard, but sadly the newer versions are garbage (also a lot lower price than before). And it's not because of Mac OS, some students don't care about the OS, as long as Office works, and they can surf the web, other install Windows 7 on them, and just uses that.

Sadly, I see on change in sight from other manufactures, as it's a still a too small percentage of people. Anyway, that is my current opinion on the mater.

Last edited: 8 Oct 2011
  17. slyBR1

slyBR1 What's a Dremel?

just incase of any mix ups. the samsung was stolen from me when i wasnt in. I didnt receive stolen property :jawdrop:

18. slyBR1

slyBR1 What's a Dremel?

just a quick update for you. After reading and looking around some more at your info and other sites. ive purchased a dell u2410 for £175 second hand. The guys house looked classy in the pictures. he had 100% feedback, it has the original box and he's said its in perfect condition and perfect working order. Hope i got a ultra bargin and not a lemon. should be fine though as if its not as described i'll get money back.:rock:

19. healthhazad

So far really loving the monitor.

I actually have it on 0 brightness and its still enough.... I would have thought 0 would be basically off lol but no...

Anyway great screen.

Mine is Rev A07.

20. GoodBytes

HAHA! Nice! Yea this monitor is BIRGHT! Awesome too.

I feel you can be outside with it and the sun right behind you, hitting directly the screen, and you can perfectly see it.

I am impressed that they are at Rev 07. Real cool.